1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owen signs for Newcastle

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Steven, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Just been on teletext, 4 year deal 90k a week. Liverpool may still try to hijack move (fat chance :rolleyes: )

He left Liverpool for trophies so he ends up at Newcastle?

OK, Rafa prob didn't do much to persuade him.

But it seems he cares more about country than club. And that he lacks ambition

Of course, none of the big 3 was in for him. Man U was briefly interested, but nothing a-coming

He'll come back to Anfield to haunt us, but who'll be more likely to win a trophy at the end of season?

Even Spurs, Boro, Bolton or Charlton (no disrespect) are better choices. They're up and coming clubs, breaking into europe. Ok they can't afford transfer fee + wages but for arguments sake

So then is it the money?

Lets hope Cisse transfers 5 goals in 7 european games form to the Prem

All the Geordie fans still dreaming. 50 years of hurt

2. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm still preying Liverpool we high jack the deal, apparently still negoating as we speak with Real Madrid, if we can agree with them, he's ours. I reckon 5% chance.

If i had 10 million i'd give it to Liverpool to get him back...... WHY WHY WHY did we spend so much on Crouch (who's been to more clubs than ive had hot dinners), very annoyed and :censored: at work.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Crouch has only played 45 min for us! in that 45 min, he set up a goal. He should be back from inj by Spurs game or one after. Give the guy a chance!

Not to mention he scored 12 goals in six months for Southampton. He didn't even get played in 1st half of season

I do despair at Morientes though. Waste of a shirt...unless he gets a hat-trick v Spurs :rolleyes: Cisse is OK really

I think the crux of the prob is Rafa wants money for a DC and MR. Also Owen can't hold up ball or pass well. When did he last make a assist?

I posted this elsewhere; Rafa likes passing 4-2-3-1 formation. Owen doesn't fit? Before we criticise this...it works for Russia..em Chelski

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Agreed, I think this is something that a lot of supporters of (particularly northern) clubs dislike with some of their players.

United > England every time for me...

that's possibly a bit unfair, can't really say that moving to Real when they come knocking is lacking ambition. As for his move today, well, what else can he do? we don't want him, you don't want him, poor michael owen :rotfl: he took a gamble joining madrid and it hasn't worked out, not really his fault but it was always a risk.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Alan Smith, open quote "club before country", end quote

Right bets are on, who will leave Newcastle 1st, Shearer or Owen. :devil:

Newcastle - they couldn't even get into europe thru the intertoto cup. Now their delerious fans are saying top 4. Typical geordie logic. Leak goals like a sieve and buy a striker. OK they haven't scored in league yet, but attack starts from the back. If they don't get it right......

What I want to know is what this escape clause is. Relegation cause? Failure to get into europe? Minimum league pos?

6. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    and even more sour grapes

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    You know I could take it if he went to Man Utd. Stayed at Real Madrid. Went to London for Chelski or Arsenal. Even across the park to Everton. Newcastle?

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Well in the end he had no choice did he? Liverpool didn't want him and haven't offered the cash for him. He was 5th choice at Real and nobody else wanted him or could match teh cash Newcastle was offering. Good business by the Newcastle board if you ask me.
    A lot of the above posts do sound like sour grapes, best just get over the fact he has gone to Newcastle and has signed a four year deal, for him to move awat again, Newcastle will need that cash back, they wont let him go for nowt.
    I hope he does well for them, seems like Shearer was a major factor in the negotiations

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    d'ya know I never thought I'd ened up liking alan smith but the commitment to united he's shown since joining have won me over completely

10. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    But it seems he cares more about country than club. And that he lacks ambition

So he should .International players should ALWAYS put country before club :lesson:

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    really? who pays their wages, playing or not, injured or not, for the rest of the year...?

With modern football, it's no longer an honour for a player to represent England, it's an honour for England to be represented by top-flight club players.
    football needs to learn from cricket if they want 'national heroes' back.
    When the FA can give a player a 4 year, £90,000 per week deal, then players can put country before club again... ;)

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    He's gone to a club that really wants him, good for him. I'm glad he went to Newcastle rather than ManU or Everton.

13. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Could not agree more. with the enormous number of idiots who associate themselves with "Ingerlund" there's no way I'd put them before my club if I were a player.

14. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Typical Newcastle!

Spend £17m on a forward when what they really need is two decent centre-backs.

This smacks of Freddy Shepard buying the fans off his back...all the pressure will remain on Souness until he is sacked or released at the end of the season. I'm no fan of Souness as a manager, but I do think he's being badly treated at Newcastle - seems like he's just keeping the manager's seat warm for Shearer.

And according to the BBC and Sky, Owen has a £12m buy-out clause in his contract. Oh dear geordies, oh dear! One good World Cup for Owen (possible) and Newcastle failing to qualify for Champions League (almost certain), and by this time next year you could be waving goodbye to your most prized asset...and making a £5m loss too!

15. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    yeah but in the world of football accounting his value will depreciate over its four year term so he will only be "worth" £12.75m to the accountants by the end of the year...

Not sure I ever really understood that, but thats how they explain it.

16. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Footballers are so hypocritical and fans can be so stupid.

I am sitting here listening to Owen say how brilliant Newcastle are and how he has signed a 4 year deal. Lets he honest, he doesn't want to be there !! He wanted to go to Liverpool, expect the manager there had no interest in him. Why would he insist on a clause in his contract allowing him to leave next summer for £12million if he intends to see out his 4 years?

And all the fans packing into St. James to cheer him like a pop act when he is only there cos he could not get anywhere else.

And what about the whole hype Sky generated. Have they any part in the deal? I have never seen a Sky reporter hosting a new player unveiling - what happened the old style press conference with player, manager and chairman sitting behind a desk?

No matter how good Owen plays, he won't help them win anything because the rest of the team isn't good enough. Bad defence.

17. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Benitez has just said they tried to sign Owen till last minute...even making early morning calls to Madrid on Tue Morn

However, he said, no way was Liverpool paying £17m for a player they sold for £8m. Have Newcastle been taken for a ride? Or will Owen score 25 goals (but for Newcastle to concede 50?)

Good luck to Owen, even though he may/may not have taken the wrong path in his career. Carragher. Now there's a proper player

18. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    There is no clause.

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Freddy Shepard said there is a clause......just not the one the tabloids are saying

20. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Is this the same Freddie Shepherd who confidently said "Michael Owen is one of Englands greatest ever footballers"

Adz

21. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    This is a bad decision for Owen. He's going to a club that hasn't won anything in year, a club that hasn't scored this season yet, a club second from bottom and a club that, in my opinion, has one of the worst managers in the game. The closest Newcastle have come to a cup in the last 10 years was that 95/96 or 96/97 season with Kevin 'LOVE IT!' Keegan.

This just seems like setting for what you can get. Real Madrid are laughing all the way to the bank. Newcastle paid Real double what Real paid for a bench warmer at the club.

I can't see this being good for either the club or the player, long run. Sure, he'll get to play. If he improves, he'll move on to a bigger club next season.

*shrugs*

Not my club. Not my 17m. Leave Freddy off, though that money could have been spent a lot better.

22. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    No he said there isn't such a clause.

23. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Come on Rooney. Hat trick v Wales. Just thought I'd lighten the mood.

What of rumours about a meeting between Sven and Becks, Rio, Lampard & Gerrard bout a new 4-3-2-1 formation? 'Cos of Denmark defeat. Gerrard, Lamapard + 1 in front of back 4, then Rooney up front alone, with SWP and Joe Cole wide.

Whats this got to do with this thread? Could Owen play alone up front? (the answers no)

Who are the tabloids kidding. Sven change formation for the 1st time in 4.5 years? :rolleyes:

24. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    seen this over at another forum and it sums up my feelings 100 percent.
    What Michael said:

"My ideal situation was to start at Madrid. If not I'd prefer to return to Liverpool. If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I've agreed to go to Newcastle."

What he meant:

"I'm a glory-hunting midget with a thick brass neck who went off to Madrid in search of Euro stardom, then watched in horror as my old club won the Champions League. Now I want back my 'beloved' Reds. I'm certainly not going to Newcastle. I'm far too good for them, even though I've achieved nothing since 2001. Eh? What? Rafa's not interested? Way-aye, man, the Toon are all reet for me, bonny lad!"

P.S does anyone else get the feeling the newcastle fans are just TO MUCH ?i mean they basically suffocate any decent signing they had and in the end its that whole "goldfish bowl" feeling for any big name on tyneside.

25. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    20,000 fans turning up to see michael owen unveiled is a bit smalltime isn't it? even after he publicly said they were his third choice they still lap it up.

shame that the "most loyal fans in the world" struggled get crowds like that when they were in division 1 in 1991/2, but I suppose that doesn't fit with sky's reinvention of football since they took over...

26. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    On the Owen front:

I doubt Newcastle will get four years out of him; he'll be off when his buy-out clause is triggered. Newcastle is clearly Owen's sixth choice (after Madrid, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal - the latter of which didn't even want him), so anyone that thinks a player of his standing would join Newcastle without insisting on a buy-out clause is deluding themselves (this is a stop-gap move for Owen because of the world cup). The real question is whether the buy-out clause is high enough to see off others (after Owen bags 20 or so goals this season), or low enough that Newcastle won't have any choice but to sell if they don't make the Champions League this season (which they won't - even with Owen's goals).

As for the new England formation:

No problem with Sven experimenting (about bloody time!), but I do have a problem if he picks his team / formation in consultation with the senior players!!! As if they are ever going to pick anything that puts themselves at risk...Beckham as a holding midfield player? Please!

27. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Oooh you cynic! :D 100% spot on though............ in particular the last bit.

28. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    beckham on the bench? Please!

29. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Im a massive football fan, i support my local team who are in the Scottish Third Division and from an extremely neutral point of view, its a good move to take the heat of newcastle but the big pat on the back to the club should surely be in the signing of Scott Parker.

Ive watched him in two games this season against Arsenal and Man Utd and he's dominated the midfield both games. If you ask me he should have 20,000 fans turning up to wish him well on his contract.

Anyway middlesborough got the signing of the window for me - Rochemback for £2m is ludicrously cheap. He's a talent and will be good if he settles right.

30. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It is completely pathetic that Newcastle can afford that much for a player and are still languishing season after season.

I wish Villa could afford £17 million in 3 or 4 seasons! :(