Quantcast

Overtaken by a cyclist in lycra

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbsy

Going down hill in a 30 zone with a Gatso halfway down I was passed by a lycra clad cyclist going like the clappers. I was holding just under 30, he flew through the Gatso but because of bright sunshine on a wet road I don't know if he set it off.

I managed to catch up with him on a 50 stretch and knocked him into the bushes to restore my pride.:thumbsup:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Ach, isn't this just another example of cyclists thinking they're above the law?
Speeding, ignoring red lights etc.etc.
IIRC, there was a cyclist done with speeding up here once (20mph zone)
I remember the cycling fraternity crying 'foul' in the press.
God knows why, he was guilty and that's the end of it.

evilkegs

Novice Member
Ach, isn't this just another example of cyclists thinking they're above the law?
Speeding, ignoring red lights etc.etc.
IIRC, there was a cyclist done with speeding up here once (20mph zone)
I remember the cycling fraternity crying 'foul' in the press.
God knows why, he was guilty and that's the end of it.
but how do you know your speeding a bike does not have a speedo :rotfl:

inzaman

Going down hill in a 30 zone with a Gatso halfway down I was passed by a lycra clad cyclist going like the clappers. I was holding just under 30, he flew through the Gatso but because of bright sunshine on a wet road I don't know if he set it off.

:
There one of those 30mph electric speed signs near me that i can set off that flashes when your speed is approaching or over 30mph. It would be great to have a downhill near me with a Gatso and get that going off every time i power down it on my road bike :cool::smashin:

markymark34

i was pulled over by the police for speeding in a 30 zone on my road bike!! couldnt believe it, madness! Do they seriously have nothing better to do? Apparently i was doing nearly 40.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
i was pulled over by the police for speeding in a 30 zone on my road bike!! couldnt believe it, madness! Do they seriously have nothing better to do? Apparently i was doing nearly 40.
And just what exactly makes you, as a road user, exempt from any road laws in the UK then? Can you still not run a pedestrian over? In fact I'd love to see you pull an emergency stop at 40 on a friggin peddle bike!

Sorry, my pet hate is speeding cyclists who think they are in the Tour De France.

Last edited:

mbren26

Novice Member
markymark34 said:
Yes we have LOADS of far more important things to deal with than some idiot speeding on a pedal bike. But unfortunately the officer was duty bound to deal with you as he saw you committing an offence.

One of the more important things we deal with quite regularly is scraping cyclists up off the road after they have been involved in collisions. Imagine how much scraping would be needed if you had a collision at 40mph!? Try Riding responsibly and you won't draw attention to yourself.

inzaman

Was that down hill or along a straight -40 is impressive if along a straight, especially if sustained :eek:

Stinja

Laws are supposed to be there to regulate society for the benefit of everyone, but it seems like too many people feel like laws persecute them, and hence are "silly".

BBC News - Is dangerous cycling a problem?

She cites the case of Rhiannon Bennett, who was 17 when she was killed by a speeding cyclist in 2007. The cyclist - who, the court heard, had shouted at Rhiannon to "move because I'm not stopping" - was fined £2,200 and avoided jail.
Just saying speeding on a bicycle isnt danger free to other people, just because "it's only a bicycle" dosent mean mass, velocity and other physical properties do not apply.

markymark34

And just makes you, as a road user, exempt from any road laws in the UK then? Can you still not run a pedestrian over? In fact I'd love to see you pull an emergency stop at 40 on a friggin peddle bike!

Sorry, my pet hate is speeding cyclists who think they are in the Tour De France.
Certainly not exempt but on an empty downhill road with no speedo on a push bike how on earth do i know what speed im doing?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Certainly not exempt but on an empty downhill road with no speedo on a push bike how on earth do i know what speed im doing?
Fit a speedo, i remember as a child having one on my BMX. Little digital display.

inzaman

LOL, my speedometer is on my Polar watch which I have on my wrist when on my 'summer bike' so have to tentatively try and glance at it whilst keeping an eye on the road - only on roads i would say I know though, other than that I don't really have a true reading of my speed only what I would gauge I am doing.

I would like to think i am courteous to other road users and pedestrians just as when i am driving. If anything i am more so or at least feel as i make more of a concious effort as there is no way i want to collide with a vehicle whilst on my push bike.

Lee

You cyclists would overtake me while I'm driving my car lol

gangzoom

I love trying to overtake cars on my road bike, my favourite was once when going down a very big hill managed to overtake a learner driver doing 40 in a 50 zone on a dual carriageway..had to use the 2nd lane :) If I had the legs for it I would love to be able to cruise at 30 on my bike...but alas I'm just not fit enough :(

apolloa

Distinguished Member
When your overtaking cars mate, or pulling away from them then that's a hint ;)

Perhaps to avoid a fine then you should fit a speedo? If it's only 20 quid whats the problem?

Seriously, next to pedestrians cyclists are the most likely to be seriously injured in road accidents, get some common sense please. I don't think a helmet will save you if a car pulled out in front of you going 40mph!

Last edited:

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Insurance companies have been lying

It's all these speeding cyclists that has driven up the cost of insurance :laugh:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I'm not convinced that speed limits are applicable to cyclists..... This page, for example, makes no reference to them ... Speed limits and speeding : Directgov - Travel and transport
There is a charge for 'furious cycling', believe it or not.
A bloke was convicted of it in 2009, after he knocked down and killed an old woman.
Although he was on a bike, he was banned from driving a car for a year as part of his punishment.

markymark34

When your overtaking cars mate, or pulling away from them then that's a hint ;)

Perhaps to avoid a fine then you should fit a speedo? If it's only 20 quid whats the problem?

Seriously, next to pedestrians cyclists are the most likely to be seriously injured in road accidents, get some common sense please. I don't think a helmet will save you if a car pulled out in front of you going 40mph!
No cars on the stretch of road at the time. Why should i have to fit a speedo? I cycle to save money, if i had loads then i would buy a motorbike.
Cyclists are the most likely to be injured by stupid car drivers (of which i am one) knocking them over.

We have been brain washed into thinking that speeding is the work of the devil and 1mph more will kill many more people. Thats garbage, people who dont know how to drive or are doing something stupid like texting or smoking cause far more accidents than someone doing 37mph on a bike on a clear road!

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Why should i have to fit a speedo?
Well I would say it's maybe time for the law to be changed so that speedos become compulsory on pushbikes too.
You're using a road and you are using a machine capable of breaking some speed limits on said roads.
Why shouldn't you have a speedo, when you're capable of doing speeds a moped can do?

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Well I would say it's maybe time for the law to be changed so that speedos become compulsory on pushbikes too.
You're using a road and you are using a machine capable of breaking some speed limits on said roads.
Why shouldn't you have a speedo, when you're capable of doing speeds a moped can do?
I rather bicycles came with lights fitted as standard

gibbsy

I'm not convinced that speed limits are applicable to cyclists..... This page, for example, makes no reference to them ... Speed limits and speeding : Directgov - Travel and transport
They must also be exempt from stopping at red lights on a pelican crossing as well then. Saw one weaving through the pedestrians on a crossing outside the railway station. It was raining heavy and perhaps the poor lamb was getting wet. One woman took a swipe at him and missed.

Not the same one as passed me though, I'd recognise that boney lycra enshrouded arse anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.