1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overscan Prevention

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Treythalomew, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Treythalomew

Treythalomew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a standard hd ready tv that supports 480p and 1080i. My last tv was a normal non HD tv and it suffered from major overscan. I don't really know what causes overscan but I dont' want the same to happen to my new tv. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate them.

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Overscan is something which is normally adjusted in the service menu of the TV. Most TVs overscan because they are set that way in the factory. This is to make sure that the picture fills the whole of the screen with out any black boarders at the top and bottom that should not be there. Unfortunatly when setting this in the factory they over do it and you can loose some of the info in the picture.
    The best thing to do is tell us what make and model so that
    1)service menu details can be found.
    2) so that others can tell you if it can be adjusted or not. There are problems with the panasonic pv500 model (overscan at this point in time can not be easily be adjusted).

Dave.

3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's odd.. a 480p HD Ready TV.. isn't that a contradiction? 480p is SD (actually lower resolution than SD in this country).

LCD's don't have overscan.. it's a CRT thing. It's not really an issue even on a CRT - broadcasters have the 'safe area' that they produce all their material within, which is fairly generous to cope with badly configured TVs. (LCDs do have centering/width controls but they're automatic on pretty much every LCD I've ever seen, both PC and TV, so you never need to worry about it).

4. Treythalomew

Treythalomew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it says hd tv and my old tv is an Apex AT2708S 27". I've tried looking how to enter the service mode on it but have failed everytime.

5. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the model of your new TV? Does it have an HD Ready logo?

On most models of apex it's:
    Decrease Volume to 00. Press mute on the remote,then press mute on the remote and menu on the tv for 3 seconds.

See also http://www.worldwideelec.com/apex_asc_site/apex.html

6. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the poster is from the US as the Apex is a US model. In the US for a TV to be 'HD-Ready' it can be 4:3 or 16:9 and supports either 720p or 1080i via component - though HDMI will be mandatory in the future?

7. Treythalomew

Treythalomew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No my older tv was an apex and i would like to fix its overscan problem. My new tv is a widescreen 1080i hd television and I'd like to avoid overscan on it.