Overscan on SCART input

Evolvere

Standard Member
Two questions:

1) I was amazed today to learn that modern LCDs still overscan on the SCART input. I was wondering if someone could explain the reasons why?

I have looked around the boards here and checked on Google briefly, but all I could find was a comment about interference being more likely to affect the analogue signal as it was being carried to the TV and so overscan is used to hide any potential dirty edges. But this seems a little overkill, especially considering the amount of overscan I discovered on both my Sharp and Sony 32 inch panels, easily an inch on either side.

2) Is it normally possible or advisable to turn off this overscan? I would only need to do so on my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX301. I imagine I'd need to access the service menu. So if anyone knows how, or wants to tell me not it's not worth the risk I'm all ears.

Just a brief explanation as to how I came to be posting this: the PS3 died; the Sony Bravia won't recognise my MacBook Pro via HDMI (where would be best to post a question about this problem?); I want to be able to watch some podcasts etc. on the Bravia downstairs and the old DVD player is the only way to do this until the PS3 is replaced by something else.

Thanks for reading.

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom