1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overscan on Projectors - Why and is it fixable ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FoxyMulder, May 1, 2005.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was toying with my Panasonic AE700 and using the Position - Horizontal Aspect button, it seems there is picture information both left and right of the screen not being shown by the projector on the screen even though its perfectly set up, my tv used to do that too and i believe on the tv it was overscanning thus i wonder if its the same for a projector.

My Toshiba dvd player has a facility allowing me to zoom out and doing so allowed me to see that i was missing picture information both left and right of the image, why oh why is this the case, i believe it probably amounts to around 6% or so of the image, is there a cure and do all projectors do this ?

I should just mention to all owners of this projector that setting sharpness to anything above zero adds unwanted edge enhancement to your picture, you can see this by switching on subtitles but its also added to the picture.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Often the picture is cropped slightly to ensure extra information such as teletext / closed captions (?) etc do not manifest themselves visually (they can appear as white lines along the edge of the pic.

The TX100 has a nifty feature which allows you to adjust the overscan to a range of 10% - extremely useful as it allows neat cropping of the pic if the image doesn't quite meet the black borders.

Unsure how common such an overscan adjustment feature is on PJs...PJ :)

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic allows you to adjust the overscan too using the position adjust but i was hoping to get it down to 1% not the current 6 % odd it seems to be set at.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The TX starts at 0% AFAIK...PJ

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well hell just make me jealous lol :)

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :confused:
    The smiley doesn't hide a slightly contrite reply when all I was trying to do was give some input to *your* specific question...

"do all projectors do this".

However I'll leave it there and go and reply to someone who doesn't take comments which are trying to be helpful as one-upmanship...PJ :rolleyes:

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh don't be silly i was joking nothing more nothing less and i appreciated your reply.

8. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The Z3 has an overscan setting, which I've set to 0 - haven't seen anything odd with it set to that (so far).

9. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have read in my instructions for my SP4805 that overscan hides any picture noise that may appear on the edges of a DVD.
    In the same way that a DVD displayed on a 16:9 television will crop the picture at the edges to hide any video noise, I hope this is of help :)

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the replies.