Overlay on second graphics card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hoyin, Feb 20, 2005.

1. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know overlay will only work on a primary monitor.

But does that mean primary from a dual video output card?

I find it annoying that my LCD TV has to be the primary monitor. Everytime I want to watch TV I have to reset it to the primary monitor.

If I put in a second graphics card in my PCI slot with a single output will it display overlay even if it is set as a secondary monitor? As it is the only output for that video card?

Am I making sense?

:lease:

2. bartp

bartp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You shouldn't have problem displaying video on the second monitor of a single card. what is your card and settings?

Bart

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    On the Radeon's the overlay can be on either display (driving two displays from one card). I run dual monitors (extended desktop) and the overlay can be used on either display.

With a Radeon you could leave your LCD on the secondary and enable clone mode then enable Theatre Mode to display TV full res on the LCD. Are you running the LCD at a different res to the other display?

I haven't used them, but I know some of the Matrox cards have independant overlay per display.

Rob.

4. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment have a Geforce MX 2 400 ... but it is VGA only I will need to get a new one with DVI output.

Would you recommend a Geforce or ATI ... I have asked this question before though and never got a decent reply.

My main graphics card is a Geforce 6600GT.

5. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it is a different resolution hence I have to run it dual view mode, which means I cannot overlay on the large LCD TV.

I don't want to run clone mode, as I sometimes work on my computer whilst having the TV on in the background.

I basically need to run 2 17" TFT monitors one of them a primary monitor. Then a second graphic card running my LCD TV.

I just need confirmation that I can do an overlay on the second graphics card even if the monitor is not a primary one. As long as it is only outputting to one single monitor.