• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Overkill??

Iskander Prime

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm thinking that I need to upgrade my amp......or amp and speakers......or just speakers.......argh.

No, definately the amp....It's a Yamaha DSP 630SE and it's powering some just as ancient Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 floorstanders, an 8C and some 8.1 for the rears.

It's been a great lttle amp so far and has recently been given extra duties since I bought an XLS200DF. The sound has been transformed since that purchase and made me realise just how good my Diamond 8s really are.

Here's the problem, now that I've decided...I think...to go down the amp upgrade route, will my speakers be up to the task? I was looking originally at the Denon 1910, which a mate has just bought, when I thought I'd be upgrading my speakers as well. He loves it, but i haven't heard it pushed hard as he lives in a flat and he doesn't want to upset the neighbours.

If I pushed the boat out and went say for a Yamaha 1900, 3900 or one of the x65 range, would this be overkill? Would it make any difference with my speakers? If I had uber-speakers then I realise there would be, but if I buy one of those a speaker upgrade would be a non starter for a reeeaally long time.

Or am I better off getting the Denon 1910 or Yamaha 765/1065 due to the limitations/age of my speakers?

Cheers,

Nik.

Gaspode_TWD

The answers to your question are going to involve a degree of subjective evaluation. Where I think your money is best spent may not be exactly the way you feel you get the best result. This is partly because you may plan for other changes in due course, with new technologie constantly being introduced.

That said, the speakers you have are decent. Speaker technology has not changed dramatically for many years. In my opinion giving the best signal you can to them will be a good investment and will show just how capable they are.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
One way to look at it is if you do get a good amp now, if you do decide to upgrade your speakers, you will have an amp that is capable of a very good speaker upgrade and won't have to worry about wheather your amp is capable of driving them.

Also, ATM there are some exceptional deals on Yamaha models that were released towards end of 2008 which have better build quality and greater input flexibility than the obviously cost cut 2009 releases.

3900 for £870 and 1900 for £695.

YAMAHA RXV3900 Video Review << UK >> AVLAND Yamaha RXV-3900 Home Cinema Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio Receiver 3900

Yamaha RX-V1900 AV Receiver - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

Iskander Prime

Standard Member
So not so much overkill more best option then? Is it worth me sticking my neck out for the 3900 or pick the middle ground and go for the 1900? The refurb bit on the 1900 does put me off a little tho....

The SMF

Banned
One way to look at it is if you do get a good amp now, if you do decide to upgrade your speakers, you will have an amp that is capable of a very good speaker upgrade and won't have to worry about wheather your amp is capable of driving them.

Also, ATM there are some exceptional deals on Yamaha models that were released towards end of 2008 which have better build quality and greater input flexibility than the obviously cost cut 2009 releases.

3900 for £870 and 1900 for £695.

YAMAHA RXV3900 Video Review << UK >> AVLAND Yamaha RXV-3900 Home Cinema Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio Receiver 3900

Yamaha RX-V1900 AV Receiver - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

doubt quantum are able to sell anymore of the 1900, i just bought there display model for that price and its now discontinued

im also very chuffed with it and its immaculate bar 1 little mark on its remote

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
So not so much overkill more best option then? Is it worth me sticking my neck out for the 3900 or pick the middle ground and go for the 1900? The refurb bit on the 1900 does put me off a little tho....

I'd go for the 3900. I wish it had been that price when I got my 1900 last June; it's only £20 more than I paid.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
doubt quantum are able to sell anymore of the 1900, i just bought there display model for that price and its now discontinued

im also very chuffed with it and its immaculate bar 1 little mark on its remote

Looks like they are getting them from yamaha and are ex-display and refurbished by Yamaha. Full 2 year warranty though. Web page says that more are coming.

Iskander Prime

Standard Member
I can get the 2065 for £670 which I gather is the replacement for the 1900. I like the idea of saving £200 over buying the 3900 at £870 but not if its false economy. The 2065 seems to be popular on here tho.
I think it's a choice between those two......
If I went for anything less I think I'd feel I'd be buying an expensive HDMI switch. Sounds harsh re-reading that but what else would I be getting for £400, over and above what I already have? Or am I selling them short? My mate's Denon 1910 really is a cracker but I'm thinking it might not be enough of an advancement for me.
But.....I don't want to go too far forward either :facepalm:
I think a beer and a push in the right direction are needed. The beer I can sort............:)

Iskander Prime

Standard Member
Well I've just had a spanner thrown in the works!
I've just called AVLAND and the 3900 is now £1150 not £870. I should've been quicker it seems......:facepalm:

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Cheers for that :smashin:
I have found it for £929 and change at digital direct but still £60 more than Avland :rolleyes:

I would pay the £20 extra and get it from here:

Yamaha RXV3900

Just a personal view. I once contacted digital direct about warranty and it turns out that you have to pay the transport costs for returns under warranty.

Both sets of amps and speakers in my sig were bought from Peter Tyson and I've had excellent service from them.

Just one thing that may get it cheaper for you. At Yamaha's insistence, the price includes basic installation. If you're prepaired to install it yourself, which I'm sure you are, they may knock something off the price?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom