Overkill packaging

kevykat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a few things from Amazon of late and noticed the packaging to be way over kill. Anyone noticed this? Play.com often the same too.

Bought a sleeve for my ultrabook. Arrived today. Could've fitted in a envelope easy but no

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367418204700.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367418204700.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 513
Yep I had a standard sized box full to the bring with bubble wrap containing a .... USB cable from amazon recently.

Bought a usb ZIP drive (back in the day 100mb cartridges) from DABS I think it came a box the size of a 10 year old child with the retail box about a 10th of the size inside.

I bought an iPod Touch from Amazon a couple of years ago and it came in a similar sized box to the one you have posted, it was a ridiculous bit of packaging, all box and brown paper! However, I will say in their defence that most things I receive from Amazon the packaging is appropriate to the size of the item purchased.

Last edited:
I received the same sized box for a lighter at the start of the year too. As you say, Full of brown paper.

I believe Amazon let you leave feedback somewhere where you can let them know that the packaging was overkill. Worth doing so they can reduce it in the future.

Sorry its not much help, can't remember the exact place to do it now.

I agree it's overkill, but Amazon will have done their homework for packaging and postage costs.
They'll have decided on a minimum size box and a minimum postage cost that goes with that size of box.
Less variation = greater control of costs.

Also, it is much harder for a courier to lose a box of that size as opposed to one the size of a matchbox :D And stacking a lorry/van load is a lot easier/faster if all the boxes are the same size.

Last edited:
Have you asked amazon for compensation yet?

I think companies are getting better I guess sometime maybe they don't have the size they need so they use the one they have?

I know over here Amazon have worked with their suppliers/manufacturers to get some stuff in 'ready to go' packaging. Example we buy nappies with Amazon Subscribe and Save and they simply ship the manufacturers box with a shipping label slapped on. They also ask for feedback on packaging from time to time.

Did anyone see on c4 the secrets of missing mail with the courier employees kicking and throwing around parcels in the sorting office?

Thats why the likes of amazon go Ott on the packaging it works out cheaper if it reduces damaged return claims.

My Dad sent me this when he ordered 4 pen drives from Play.com a few years ago. Each one was loose inside each package.

I got the same box from Amazon for a LP and a blu ray which were just rattling about inside with paper on top.

Attachments

• PenDrives.jpg
    PenDrives.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 251
I don't get a newspaper so all that lovely brown paper is wonderful for sticking in my charcoal chimney to light the BBQ. :D

The normal reason, which I'm sure you know, that small things like pen drives/CDs/DVDs/whatever came in separate boxes was due to LVCR. If they were all put in one box the delivery could have been over the threshold and you'd have had to pay VAT on the lot :)

I got used to that living in Glasgow but when I moved here, about a mile from the warehouse, things arrived in fewer boxes.

Last edited:
Overkill packaging?

Shirts. These are my absolute bug-bear. Why they have so much paper, plastic and card is beyond me. Really makes no sense at all.

The normal reason, which I'm sure you know, that small things like pen drives/CDs/DVDs/whatever came in separate boxes was due to LVCR. If they were all put in one box the delivery could have been over the threshold and you'd have had to pay VAT on the lot :)

I get that, no different to ordering anything from Jersey. They are just 3cm long with no packaging, they should have just used small jiffy bags like Amazon's frustration free packaging now. They were just loose rattling about inside.

Overkill packaging?

Shirts. These are my absolute bug-bear. Why they have so much paper, plastic and card is beyond me. Really makes no sense at all.

indeed - it's not like you can wear them straight away, the still need ironing etc...

I get that, no different to ordering anything from Jersey. They are just 3cm long with no packaging, they should have just used small jiffy bags like Amazon's frustration free packaging now. They were just loose rattling about inside.

Read SniperAsh's link from above:

Ex-Stupid Shipping Gangster Explains Why Your Purchases Are So Poorly Packaged

When you think about the logistics of boxes and packaging (fascinating!), it's quite logical how things arrive.

Baffling as a consumer, but from the other side, well, it seems the norm!

Still doesn't explain why Next shirts have more paper and card than shirt.

It's the plastic clips that get me. One of them always hangs on for dear life!

It's far worse when you've bought a "nice" shirt that uses proper pins ... bejesus! Catches you by surprise! :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom