Overheating?

A

alby28

After watching tv for about an hour(sometime longer,sometimes shorter)my television kinda screws up.It displays all coloured squares and then shuts down to stand by and wont turn back on.Sometimes the squares are yellow,and sometimes they are multi coloured.One time it crashed to a black screen with all different coulered pixels flashing on screen,all this happens with sound playing.ANyway the set is a Wharfedale LCD42720HDF,and i only got it delivered at 2pm today:mad: So far its locked up about 4-5 times,and each time i have to unplug the thing for about 10 minutes or so to try and get it to turn back on.It is well clear of any obstructions so the air can flow round it,and the hot air can escape from the set.So any feedback more than welcome.

Mark

PeteD64

Novice Member
Sounds a bit like heat if it won't switch on for several minutes afterwards.

You shouldn't be getting issues like that if there's enough airflow, especially in winter. Unless your central heating is set to about 30c then it sounds like a faulty set.

When does it happen? e.g. if you've only tried it with the internal tuner does it do the same with a DVD.

I would check your cables for loose connections as well. It probably isn't that but worth checking before you start arranging to send the TV back.

A

alby28

its done it whilst watching sky and playing on the 360.Havent tried it just on normal tv though.

Mark

PeteD64

Novice Member
ok so it happens on 2 sources so that pretty much proves it's a fault with the TV rather than a cable or one particular port on the TV.

A

alby28

Well just a quick update,woke up this morning and the set refused to come out of stand by mode.So phone Argos tech help at 9am,told the customer service member about the yellow squares and the TV turning itself off.Then told him that it has refused to come out of stand by mode this morning.Was told to unplug the set at the wall and then plug it in again.Ok it fired the set up ok,so the guy was convinced he has fixed the problem.Dont turn the set off with the remote he said,use the plug at the socket.So i asked him about the yellow squares problem,he says it just a bad reception.(yh on my 360,PS2 and dvd player aswell)So i could see i was getting nowhere with this guy and thanked him for his help.Anyway,90 minutes later,the lines are there with audio but it doesnt switch off this time.Switch the channel and i get a partial picture with white lines running through it.So i switch again,this time a picture,but all the channel info has lines through it and is broken up.And then it goes into stand by mode again.Its now been off for 3 hours,with it being unplugged at the wall.Still wont fire up.Onto tech support again,this time i have to pull all the scarts out of the back and just plug in the main ariel.So i tell him,its not just the TV thats goes off.But the HD plugs when the 360 was plugged into has aswell.So he says i've probably got a faulty set:rotfl: So he asks what i would like to do,have them send out an engineer to fix the problem(set is 24 hours old,and it might take them 14 days to repair)or ask argos to replace it.So i ask for a replacement set.Only trouble is,it looks like the set is at the end of the line.And if they do restock them,its gonna be at least the middle of January.Now heres my problem,we gave our old Tv away to make room for the new set.So we have Christams coming up with no main set to watch,my eldest son is getting the 360 as a present.What can i do,Argos say i can either pick another set from the catalogue and pay the difference(dont wanna do)or just get a refund.Either way,im not gonna be able to pick up another 42" lcd for £700.Can i demand a replacement set from argos?

Mark

chrise

Novice Member
Alby 28 wrote "Can i demand a replacement set from argos?"

No your legal right is for your money back at this point in time. You can modify that if you want to accept a repair or replacement if it is offered. Argos may not have another equivelant set to replace yours so can legitimately say that. Argos normally offer more than your stautory rights so talk to the local branch and explain the issue if they cannot help require them to refund your cash and go elsewhere.

A

alby28

Well Argos have admitted my set could be faulty,seeing its been locked in stand by mode for 24 hours now.They have said they will send out a replacement set,but so far have yet to say a date.So i've got 2 young children driving me mad for television they cant watch.

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom