1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dazek, May 9, 2005.

1. dazek

dazek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - i wasn't quite sure where to post this one! have just finished my set up - as pic below. Only problem is it is getting incredibly hot in the top right compartment where the sky box and dvd recorder are housed. the heat iof the sky box is incredible! i am leaving the door open at the moment so its not as bad but I am concerned about a fire risk. the dvd manual basicaly says don't keep in a confined space.

should i move the sky box to the left compartment, weher the playstation is, or should i take the back of the unit completelt to allow venting, or is there another alternative??

any help gratefully received!

darius

Attached Files:

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    The Sky digibox is unlikely to catch fire but it and the rest of your gear in that cabinet are likely to have a short life due to overheating I'm afraid.
    I would start by removing the rear panel and do not stack your equipment blocking ventilation slots.

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's not as neat and pretty as the way you've got it in the pics, but how bout putting the sky box underneath the cabinet (looks like there's room). That way you'll keep it ventilated and you should be able to put it far enough back so that it's out of the way and descrete. After all, it's not like you ever actually need to touch the buttons on the box! If you're unhappy about seeing it under there, you could put it far enough back that you can't see it so that the remote doesn't work and get an rf magic eye remote extender.

4. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Considering the amount of heat that a good amp creates you will damage it really quickly in that confined space.

It needs at least 15 CMs of free space above it.

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Darius,

Congratulations on the job - it looks great. :thumbsup:

You must do something about the ventilation though. You could start by removing the back of the cabinet but I think you'll need to go further than that. You could fit a cooling fan in the digibox which would help. However, I'd be more worried about the amp, it's gonna be cooking in there. Dunno about the '15cm' bit though. :confused:

A. Dork

6. dazek

dazek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help folks - it looks like i am going to have to rethink! i suppose i could remove the shelf above the amp and move the DVD recorder to the top left - seems a shame to butcher the unit though! how do i get a fan fitted inside the sky box???

anyway - will remove the back of the unit 1st

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Before removing the back, you need to check that it is not providing horizontal stability. Quite alot of furniture uses the back to prevent side to side movement - remove this support and the unit may collapse to the side. I would drill *large* ventillation holes at the top of each compartment instead - it is also easier to do. If you are drawing cool air in through the back, I would also drill holes in the bottom of each compartment at shelf height. Preferably I would drill holes in the bottom of each shelf/base of the unit to allow cool air to be convected in from directly underneath the unit.

When I added extra ventallation to my cabinet I managed to drop the ambient temperature by over 10 degrees C by adding a chimney to draw the hot air up behind my display, adding a clear air space behind the cabinet and rearranging the units. See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181098

I still have a problem with my DVD player, bottom left shelf, but it may be a fault with the unit. I am keeping it powered off until I add the holes in the bottom of the shelves that I just recommended to you to the unit. This should draw cool air from floor level past each component.

-Ian