1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating Receiver and DVD Player

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by healybrn, Sep 7, 2004.

1. healybrn

healybrn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I have a problem or at least I think its going to be a problem with my receiver (Marantz SR5400) and DVD Player (Arcam DV78) and the way I have them setup. They are both in a wooden cabinet with glass shelve/s. The Reveiver is on the bottem, the DVD Player on top of it, then a glass shelf and finally a sky receiver on the glass.
    After about 2 hours the Receiver and DVD Player both get very hot. Although this heat does not stop the equipment from working, I feel that if i leave them runnning for much longer it will cause problems. The top of the DVD Player gets so hot you could not keep your hand on it.
    Is there a better way to set the equipment up (can I put the DVD Player under the Reveiver?) etc
    The Cabinet has second compartment which holds a VCR and Xbox. I would like to keep the DVD Player and Receiver in the same compartment rather that seperate them for cabling reasons. Any advice or suggestions would be a great help.

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would definitely try to relocate the receiver so that the other units did not heat up from it. I think over the long term it could affect their circuitry.

Is there any way you could install some sort of fan to at least get an air flow? I think Maplins, for example, sell the fans that go in computers. Could one of those be used and connected to a power supply?

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Healybrn,
    A good idea but a PC fan is quite noisy, i've seen several solutions using larger 5" + fans running at slower speeds. It's enough to keep the air moving and won't be quite as annoying. I think there are some threads on this problem in the furniture section of this forum.
    Definitely worth swapping the receiver round though. If you could keep the DVD and receiver seperate it would be better as they probably generate the most heat. Stacking HI-FI equipment on top of each other is generally good to avoid. If you can.
    This could be worth checking out:
    www.tnt-audio.com