Overheating CPU only when room is hot

It now sounds like a ventilation issue with your case. Your picture only shows 2 rear facing 120mm fans blowing out the back of the case but do you have any inlet fans at the front of the case?
The 2 fans are on the side of the case, not the back. There are vents on the top of the case to allow air to be sucked in, there are also vents on the back of the case and the other side.
If it was a ventilation issue, then changing the voltage shouldn't have fixed it.

Another thing you don't mention is how far from the heat source is your HTPC?
The HTPC sits under the TV. The heat source (i.e. the open fireplace) is 3m away.

If I was to make a guess at the source of my problems, I would guess the votage being supplied to the CPU was too high. Not sure if this could be because of the power supply, or the mobo. Even though the BISO was set to AUTO when the CPU was overheating, when I changed it from AUTO to 1.25V (0.1V under the recommended) all the problems disappeared and the temp remained low even with the stock HSF. At 0.1V under the recommended, everything is stable (I've run some tests).

Now with the new Zalman CNPS8700-NT heatsink and fan, I can run it passively (i.e. fan disconnected) and the temp always stays comfortably below 45 degrees (under typical 20% load it's at around 37/38 degrees ... 100% load it can reach 45 degrees). The 2 exhaust fans pull enough air through the Zalman heatsink.
The result - a super quiet HTPC!

Thanks for the suggestions :smashin:

Have you tried updating your bios? If you have and it still does it then there could be an issue with the motherboard suppling the voltage to the cpu

Have you tried updating your bios?
No - it was on my list of things to do, but I think I'll leave it alone for now. Everything works exactly as I want now. In fact, it's even better than I had hoped for to be honest. The end result of all this is I have a passively cooled CPU. My HTPC is completely quiet as the 2x120mm fans on the side make virtually no noise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom