1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating by stacking?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cheng, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I'm thinking about stacking my amp/dvd player etc. and I read that you could damage your equipment quite a lot by stacking them as the heat generated is a lot and the hot air cannot escape very well if you stack your components.

How true is this - If I stacked a Yammy RX-V630 then a Tosh DVD player [and possibly more], would this happen much?

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Manufacturers usually show DVD's on top of recievers but this is a bad idea. Recievers usually vent through the top so it need at least an inch or so of free space on top. My set up has reciever at the bottom, then an inch gap and a shelf with VCR, DVD and Sat box stacked on top of each other.

DVD players can get quite hot and if you are watching a movie in 5.1, the player will get hot and the amp is doing a lot of processing and using 5 channels of amplification so it will get very hot.

I did have my DVD on the amp for a bit but found that the amp cut out, even at low volumes as the protection measures cut in.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct - Always leave plenty of room between components, for the Yamaha 620 it states you should have of 30cm on top, 20cm on the sides and 10cm round the back, I would think measurements for the 630 would be around the same. Start stacking equipment up on top of each other will be asking for trouble IMO.