1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overhead Surrounds in fitted Bedroom

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bassbin, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    For our bedroom system I need to come up with a hidden surround speaker solution. Our bed is set into a wall of fitted units and over the bed ie, above our heads the fitted units continue at a high level. I've had some surrounds mounted directly on to the wall as an interim measure but they've got to go now. I'm wondering whether I should take a small pair of surrounds (small paradigms or JBL Controls) and mount them face down inside the cabinets (pointing towards the floor). I'd then cut holes in the cabinets and cover the holes with some speaker fabric in a neutral colour.

Think it'll sound ok? It's not really something I can experiment with without cutting the cabinets.

Thanks,

BB

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How about car speakers or actual ceiling mount speakers with built in grilles? they may look better but that depends on your carpentry skills? The only drawback I can think of would be what goes in the cupboard but you could build a false shelf inside. Oh and be carefull of impedance.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    My first hunch was car speakers but I can't help thinking they could sound nasty in this alien environment. I've also considered a pair of Linn Sweetspot speakers which would be very neat looking but I'm not sure they'll sound very good. I should also point out that the room is in a flat with no sub and modest main speakers so I don't want the rears to be too weedy.

My main reason for the post was to gauge views on the positioning of the speakers and how this may detract/enhance the effectiveness of the surrounds.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    How solid are the cabinets? Most of the fitted furniture I've come across would vibrate and some might fall apart if speakers were fitted in it.

5. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It's all pretty solid in its own construction and has a safety beam across the top in addition to wall fixings.

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A car is an alien environment for speakers, if you buy a decent full range pair (coaxial) and seal off some air volume behind them they should sound pretty decent, In ceiling speakers are an option but usually quite expensive for a decent pair.

As far as seeing how this position would sound can you mount your current surrounds underneath the cabinets (temporarily).

7. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Try a set of "infinity" 6x9 car speakers. The come in 2 and 3 way. The ones fitted in my pug rear shelf sound awesome so fitting in a cupboard shouldn't sound bad at all.:)