Overdue Upgrade?

Jimbo1974

Novice Member
Hi All, This is my first post so please be gentle...
I have a set up with Dali Zensor 5 5.1 paired with a Denon AVR x2000 currently. I have had the speakers probably around 8 years now so considering an upgrade.
The room is a bedroom/office with 3m/2m rectangle for the speakers to sit in, although the overall room size is more 3m/4m.

I use the set up for TV/Movies as well as a turntable.

My question is, would I need to spend a lot to get a significant enough upgrade on what I have?
Could I just upgrade the speakers to something more current and get a better sound and if so are there any recommendations please?

For example, would the Spektor 2 5.1 speakers give much better performance or would I also need to upgrade the receiver too?

Many thanks in advance.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Speakers do not really age providing they are well looked after, if they sound good now then they always will. Is it worth taking baby steps in upgrading them, you'll still have Dali's signature. You may be better off sticking with the Zensors and upgrading the AV amp. If you get a better amp then the reward might be for upgrading to a far better speaker package.

Even with a speaker upgrade there is no need to rush and you really only need to upgrade the front three, there's nothing wrong with the Zensors remaining on surround duties.

With what you have now the Denon and the Dalis are a good match. Upgrading to better speakers will want you needing a better amp if you really want to make a significant leap forward. Personally I'd go for a better amp first but this is a bad time to buy a new one. Stock is erratic and prices are remaining very high, certainly for Denon and Marantz, it's a sellers' market at the moment no matter what brand you look at with very few bargains available.

Jimbo1974

Novice Member
Thanks very much for that Gibbsy, it's very much appreciated.
In this case, I will put it on hold and look at a new amp when the market changes.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi All, This is my first post so please be gentle...
I have a set up with Dali Zensor 5 5.1 paired with a Denon AVR x2000 currently. I have had the speakers probably around 8 years now so considering an upgrade.
The room is a bedroom/office with 3m/2m rectangle for the speakers to sit in, although the overall room size is more 3m/4m.

I use the set up for TV/Movies as well as a turntable.

My question is, would I need to spend a lot to get a significant enough upgrade on what I have?
Could I just upgrade the speakers to something more current and get a better sound and if so are there any recommendations please?

For example, would the Spektor 2 5.1 speakers give much better performance or would I also need to upgrade the receiver too?

Many thanks in advance.

Spektor range is actually lower than what you have now. Next in line would be Dali Opticon mk2 which was introduced while ago. So something like Opticon 2 mk2 and Opticon Vokal mk2 for new front three. Also speaker stands (100£) so you would be spending 1400-1500£ with discounts. It would be nearly same cost if you were to buy new receiver now (Denon X4700H). I don`t see much point in floorstanders in such tiny room, but up to you.

Alternative option would be new subwoofer if you have the E-9F now which is not that good. Something that would perform superb in your small room would cost roughly 700£. Alternative option would be two cheaper ones near the 500£ and buying two of them to get the benefits of duals.. So 1k£ total.

Jimbo1974

Novice Member
Spektor range is actually lower than what you have now. Next in line would be Dali Opticon mk2 which was introduced while ago. So something like Opticon 2 mk2 and Opticon Vokal mk2 for new front three. Also speaker stands (100£) so you would be spending 1400-1500£ with discounts. It would be nearly same cost if you were to buy new receiver now (Denon X4700H). I don`t see much point in floorstanders in such tiny room, but up to you.

Alternative option would be new subwoofer if you have the E-9F now which is not that good. Something that would perform superb in your small room would cost roughly 700£. Alternative option would be two cheaper ones near the 500£ and buying two of them to get the benefits of duals.. So 1k£ total.
Thanks very much for your help here.

The floorstanders have always felt a little OTT in truth. I'm considering putting them in the bigger front room and moving the Q acoustics set up in the smaller room. Will see how that goes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom