Overdriving Headphone Drivers And Damage

retrouk

Hi everyone, so I recently let somebody who has hearing damage and tinnitus have a listen of my high end headphones. This was simply dine through my mobile phone with no external DAC. What this person did is put the volume right up on.my phone, past the point where the phone gives the message that the volume is unsafe and can cause hearing damage. Luckily though it was not for very long. My question is, have the headphone drivers been possibly damaged, especially the voice coil. From what I've read on the web, people have said that the output from a mobile phone is nowhere near enough to cause any damage to the drivers, even played at maximum volume. However if the headphones were being used through an amplifier, then that is a whole different ballgame. The headphones btw seem to fine. Obviously the level that I listen at compared to this other person was quite shocking. Then again luckily I don't have any permanent hearing damage from night clubbing or being a DJ.
As always your help guys with regards to this question are greatly appreciated. Thanks 🙂

Hixs

Distinguished Member
No chance.

The volume limiter on a phone is really low. Plus they just don't output enough power.

ostewart

Thanks Hixs for your reply and clarification. Cheers:)

Yeah your phone won't output enough to do any damage

This is what I did to some poundland earphones with my headphone amp:

camcroft

Yeah your phone won't output enough to do any damage

This is what I did to some poundland earphones with my headphone amp:

Isn't that what they call burning them in ;);)

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I've done that at the other end of the scale with my akg 550 and arcam. Max volume so around 110db and the akg work just fine still. So deffo no worries with premium cans.

camcroft

I've done that at the other end of the scale with my akg 550 and arcam. Max volume so around 110db and the akg work just fine still. So deffo no worries with premium cans.
Hi. Did you sort out a new cable for your Sundara.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
No..looking at a few on eBay atm. Was hoping to find something more local as not to pay extra tax/duty but not had a great deal of success yet.

camcroft

No..looking at a few on eBay atm. Was hoping to find something more local as not to pay extra tax/duty but not had a great deal of success yet.
I have sent a pm to you.

ostewart

Oidio Sound might be worth looking in to, no personal experience with them but have heard good things and they are UK based.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
UK based is what I'm trying to avoid for the moment - Brexit and all :D Looking for EU sellers that way I'm not having to pay extra on top. Probably end up going that way though.

retrouk

Hi once again, thanks for your help and replies with regards to this. I'm now reassured that no damage has been done to my headphones :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom