Overcoming Psvr Hdr lead swapping issues

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As promised, I said I would post about the switch I got from amazon.

This is the name: Tendak 4K x 2K Bi-directional HDMI Splitter Switch 1 Input 2 Output or 2 In 1 Out HDMI 2.0 for HDTV/Blu-Ray player/DVD/DVR/Xbox/PS4 Support 3D

I finally seem to have got it working, I can get Hdr on hdmi input 2 and Psvr on input 3. There is a tiny switch on the box to change which mode I want.

It seems you need to power down the Psvr before it will find an hdr signal. I had to try numerous leads (all are correct format but I remember similar issues when I first got the Pro)

I don't think it will be 100% reliable and I've had to unplug the input lead a few times but now it's all running smoothly so ill see how long that lasts.

Definitely worth the 14 quid I think it cost.

Any questions I'll try to answer

Could you do a diagram of how you have it set up?

Im swamped with work at the minute but will try and sort something out in the next day or so,

Ive never understood how people do those flashy diagrams on this site. Mine will be a photo of a piece of paper and some badly drawn icons lol

Im swamped with work at the minute but will try and sort something out in the next day or so,

Ive never understood how people do those flashy diagrams on this site. Mine will be a photo of a piece of paper and some badly drawn icons lol
This was the diagram I used, although my splitter isn't powered. I don't recall if I have had to turn off the breakout box for hdr, I don't think so. If memory serves I just power off the headset.
hdrsplitter.png

What a nuisance having to use 2 HDMI ports on the TV.

I have enough ports so it's not a problem for me but the whole thing with the breakout box is a joke in general.

It's a shame they couldn't just admit they got it wrong, and maybe subsidise a replacement box for early adopters.

Just bought this myself so crossing fingers it works, will be going via my amp rather than TV.

I don't think I got it working via my amp. The other issue was the inconsistencies of leads I know work fine. I think the playstation is very picky for some reason, mine is anyway. I had to swap my supplied lead with another before I got hdr working.

Whats all this about then? I'm getting a VR this week, but dont want to mess around with swapping HDMI cables around.

I've not got a 4K TV, so does this only apply to that? I'm thinking of getting a 4K this year so would also be good to know its gonna be an issue?

Whats all this about then? I'm getting a VR this week, but dont want to mess around with swapping HDMI cables around.

I've not got a 4K TV, so does this only apply to that? I'm thinking of getting a 4K this year so would also be good to know its gonna be an issue?

The PSVR psu box does not allow HDR to pass through it, so if you want HDR you need to bypass the PSVR box. (which is whats explained above)

4K will pass through ok, its just HDR thats affected

The PSVR psu box does not allow HDR to pass through it, so if you want HDR you need to bypass the PSVR box. (which is whats explained above)

4K will pass through ok, its just HDR thats affected

I dont know what HDR is, so i'll carry on in blissful ignorance :)

And do you really need the HDR whilst playing in Vr? Would it make a difference to the actually headset on a normal PS4?.
Or would it mean you would have disconnect the psvr and box thing when playing non vr too to get HDR?
Thanks

I've got this splitter but can't get my TV to detect a signal from it at all. I've tried several different leads (all of which work on their own) and the switch and sockets in different combinations - the green lights on the box come on but... nothing.

I had no better luck with a replacement splitter so I back on the hunt for a solution to this annoying issue.

That's what's so frustrating, the inconsistencies. Why do some leads work and not others? Why do some switches work for some people and not others?

You'd think Sony could release an approved splitter for this exact problem, if another breakout box isn't forthcoming. You'd like to see them make it free or subsidised for early adopters but I'd pay any reasonable price to just sort the issue.

Did you get the same one I linked to?

What lead are people using. Is there one I can get and just bury at back of the tv. From maplin hopefully..

And do you really need the HDR whilst playing in Vr? Would it make a difference to the actually headset on a normal PS4?.
Or would it mean you would have disconnect the psvr and box thing when playing non vr too to get HDR?
Thanks

No you don't need HDR in VR. But if you set VR up in the normal way, you wouldn't get HDR in your normal games, e.g. The last of us remastered etc.

So got round to trying mine just now, cabling gave me a headache but finally got it right after trying a few different ways.

And it actually works!

I can have the PS4 going through the Amp and shows HDR, the PSVR would work through the Amp so have that going straight to the tv which also works ok. Have to fully power down before switching between the two which is a slight pain but better than pulling out cables.

Also found switching HDCP off helped.

Nice one, it was fairly painful getting going but it hasn't let me down yet.

Certainly worth the money and far better than before.

Are these manual switching for the her or does it do it automatically

Nice one, it was fairly painful getting going but it hasn't let me down yet.

Certainly worth the money and far better than before.

Cheers for the tip off, i'd stopped using psvr a lot just because it was such a pain swapping leads!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom