Overcoming HDCP

Cheers for the responses, I am not sure what the 1x1 pixel thing is (unfotrunately from an IT background and not AV). The specs to my tv are here: http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=12653

I have noticed that I could have spent a lot less on the cable, but was advised to get a quality one (not thai it has made a blind bit of difference!). I am getting literally nothing when I plug in through the DVI on my gfx card, the PC doesn't even recognize that anything is plugged in; it may be a PC setting.

Here has the full supported HDMI input ranges:
http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/information.nsf/manuals/37X3030D/$file/X3000OM.pdf?openelement

it seems to support both 50 and 60Hz at 1920x1080, is there something I'm missing?

Cheers for the responses, I am not sure what the 1x1 pixel thing is (unfotrunately from an IT background and not AV). The specs to my tv are here: http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=12653

1x1 Pixel Mapping is actually an IT term, not an AV term.

Its like, when you use an LCD monitor with native resolution of 1280x1024, and if you set the resolution to 1024x768 in Windows, everything will go fuzzy/blurry/etc because the monitor will need to scale 1024x768 to its native 1280x1024. But if you use 1280x1024 in Windows then everything is crisp and sharp.

The same applies to your TV.

But anyway, just to make sure... you have got the input of the TV set to HDMI1/HDMI2, and not PC, right?

EDIT: And make sure it is not using 72Hz or 75Hz refresh rate.

Hi,

I have two connections from my PC. The vga works through the LCD tv, and if I plug a monitor into the DVI port, that is detected too. If I plug the DVI-HDMI lead from the pc to the tv, it does not detect the screen on the PC, and when changing the input on the TV to HDMI I just get a blue screen.

I get what you are saying about 1 to 1 mapping now, but as I can't even get the screen to be recognised by the PC I ccan't even get as far as setting the resolution.

Any ideas?

OK, so I have finally managed to get a picture using my DVI to HDMI cable; which is progress!!!

However, no matter what I now do, the edges of the screen are blown out of view. I have no PC settings that I can use to alter the horiz or vert size and having consulted the manual, I am definitely putting an accepted signal into the LCD (I have tried many but would like the 1920x1080 progressive 50Hz to work).

Any ideas?

Hello shmed

The HDMI Port on your 'TV' won't be sending the required EDID (Extended display identification data) info back to the DVI port on your PC so the PC wont know what resolution/refresh to run.

You may need to run a utility such as PowerStrip to give you the required control over your Graphics Card - see http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Joe

Thanks for the response Joe, the screenshot seems to show familiar stats. I'll try it when I get home tonight.

:thumbsup:

I've installed the Powerstrip App and I think I can see the problem, but can't seem to fix it. When I try and change the quick settings, the EDID reports that my LCD is a 50", when in fact it is only 37". I can't seem to adjust this part of it. I have the Toshiba 37x3030db.

Hello Shmed

I'm no pro with PowerStrip – a quick trip to the HTPC Forums here on AVForums may be in order for more advice on using PowerStrip.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I think I need to register Powerstrip to allow me to write a new EDID. Am waiting for the license key. I'll let you know if it works.

OK, so I have finally managed to get a picture using my DVI to HDMI cable; which is progress!!!

However, no matter what I now do, the edges of the screen are blown out of view. I have no PC settings that I can use to alter the horiz or vert size and having consulted the manual, I am definitely putting an accepted signal into the LCD (I have tried many but would like the 1920x1080 progressive 50Hz to work).

Any ideas?

If your PC is outputting 1920x1080 already, then the pc is right - its your TV thats wrong!

Your TV is re-scaling the picture to provide "overscan". On some TVs (eg Samsung) you can disable this so that it is truly 1:1 mapped. I don't know about the Toshiba, but have a look at the manual.

On other TVs, you can never get 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI (even DVI on some TVs!), and you can only do it via VGA.

EDIT:
Actually I think the setting of Toshiba's is called "Exact Scan". Try to find it and switch it on. Remember to reduce sharpness too until it correctly maps.

Where do I find these settings? The menu on the toshiba seems really basic and all I can edit are things like contrast and general settings.

where is that article?

I think it's still cheaper than buy a new TV. damn HDCP handshake!:devil: believe that's the root cause why I can't enjoy pretty HQV scaler from Onkyo 905 to Tosh 62DLP.......:(

On CDFreaks yesterday there was an article about a box that can remove HDCP and output unprotected content. It isn't cheap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom