1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overclocking XP2800+

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nick Cartwright, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in some mild overclocking to try and get smother playback using FFDSHOW resize.

At the moment I have resize 1280X720 lancos 4 and it uses aboput 90% CPU, occasionally I get a 100% peak and a small stutter. I would like to give my cpu a bit more headroom without really affecting stability or going OTT with extra cooling etc.

I think that XP28000's have a locked multiplier, but I believe you can increas the FSB speed to get some overclocking. I just want to know what would be a safe limit to acheive a few percent more speed? I think my CPU currently runs about 45-48 degrees C.

Is there anything I should be aware of and what sort of speed could I expect for minimum strain?

Thanks

Nick

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I have recently overclocked my XP 2500 for the same reasons and could not use the multiplier as like the XP 2800 it must be locked.

I just tweaked the FSB up by 5 each time and found that just a tweak by about 10 fsb actually solved my problems with FFDShow and NVidia codecs for 'normal' dvds. For PAL superbits and some others though i had to go up by 16 FSB which is where i am settled at.

It now runs at 182 FSB from 166 FSB with an 11 multiplier so in your case i imagine that you would be safe to go to 175 to 180 straight away.

I know the Xp2500 can be cranked up to 200FSB but you also need to adjust the voltage which is where it might start to put too much load onto the processor.

The only problems i had at the normal speed were with PAL dvds all my NTSC dvds played fine with just 75-80% processor utilisation wheras all of the PAL material stuttered just about every second, not anymore though.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Also meant to say that if you do this it will invalidate any warranty on your processor, dont know about mobo or RAM etc.

4. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I built my 2800+ system in Dec 2002 and OC'd it to 3200. About 13 months later I started to have a lot of problems and after two weeks of hell I realised I had OC'd 13 months earlier. I put it back to 2800+ and I haven't had a problem since and nothing runs slower anyway. I've been OC'ing since AMD 486DX100's but one thing is sure - you will eventually wear your CPU out quicker. Usually most of us have upgraded before the damage is done though.

5. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,

I'll bear in mind the extra wear and tear. I only use PC for about 2 or 3 films a week so hopefully shouldn't wear out too fast.

I am the same with PAL, I don't know is the problem with PAL and FFDSHOW is the extra lines of infor, or maybe it's more of an after thought for developers in the U.S?

I'd love to get 75% cpu usage on current PAL settings and then use better re-size parameters. I'll have a cautious play tonight.

Thanks again

Nick

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    After the overclocking the NTSC processor utilisation has dropped to 65-75% wheras the PAL is still around the 90-100% but more importantly no stuttering or jumping etc on PAL material.

I am under the impression (self belief) to get FFDShow and PAL material to have a realistic processor utilisation you need something like an XP 3500 to XP 4000 (if they did one).

7. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I got my xp2500 mobile to 2.41ghz at 400fsb,(faster than a xp3200) yes you have to give the vcore voltage a little tweek, but it stay on 24/7 and has not "crashed" more importantly the cpu temp is below 35 degrees on idle.

I recon that would solve your PAL/FFDSHOW issues nicely :clap:

8. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have hit a snag, my Motherboard only has a max 333fsb.

Nick

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Nick looks like you might have to change your mobo then to clock, its a shame but at least it will be cheaper than a new processor or are you going to take the 64bit leap.

10. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I might stick with the 2800 a bit longer. I might have to reign in my FFDSHOW usage. To be honest, the pic with TT2, even with out FFDSHOW, is a lot better than TT1.5. I just wanted to experiment with re-size a bit more without problems.

I suppose it's a bit extreme to upgrade just to tweak, without even being certain of picture improvements. Although, if I could find a cheap MB then I might be temted. Although the trauma of my last upgrade still lingers!!!

Oh well, C'est la Vie!

Nick