overclocking for games help

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Dave2, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    ok guys hope someone can help.

I want to overclock my cpu to give it a little more boost while playing heavy intensive gamrs.

I have a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard but the oC utility will not install on windows 8 x64 .

Can anyone help ? I would prefer a nice windows based GUI if anyone knows of one that will work with win 8 or if you could help me with bios settings as I can never get a stable OC when doing it manually.

2. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,386
    Google your CPU and "overclock" and - unfortunately - you're going to have to do some reading. It's doubtful you can just plug in someone's BIOS settings and hey presto, instant stable OC. I wouldn't use a GUI utility either.

Usually, it's raising multipliers, dropping memory speeds, increasing voltages etc in a structured "focus on one area at a time" manner that gives you the best results.

If you're on the stock cooler then I'd look at upgrading before OCing.

3. martyn3000

martyn3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    As above really, loads of guides out there to overclocking the 2600K.

In a nutshell, always use the BIOS, never software based OC utilities for CPUs. Raise the CPU multiplier a bit, if you fail to post raise the vcore a bit. Once you get it to post, run some CPU stress tests, or benchmarks. As a guide I think people get around 4.5 GHz.

4. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Set the boost to 4.6GHz in the BIOS ;) It's fairly simple.

Although, you really should do some proper tweaking, and set voltages. The 2600K's max voltage is 1.52V. 1.4V is pretty much the highest you would want it to go though.

The ASUS AI Suite is a bit iffy sometimes [and I'm assuming that's the program you can't get installed. Have you checked the ASUS site for a new revision?].

I need to re-OC mine since I flashed my BIOS. It only boosts to 3.8GHz, and the voltages are messed up :(

EDIT:
    I'm sure there's an OC utility in the BIOS too. You just hit, "Enable" and your rig turns itself off/on a few times and gets you the best clocks your Mobo/CPU can manage. The voltages are a little higher than they need to be; just to ensure stability. But it does the job. I did it to see how far I could push my chip, then worked back from that.

I'm not too fussed about squeezing every little bit of MHz out of my chip, but having 4.6GHz stable, whilst gaming, that does me perfectly.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,667
    there is a right way and a wrong way .. jambo sorry but yours is the wrong way ,, it does the job ?
    yeah it does the job wrongly ..
    Please Dave do a lil research on your board .. it takes a few hours to get the right OC but its worth it

6. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,386
  7. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Yeah, it does the job, but I didn't say, 'Run the Auto-OC and leave it be.'

By running the auto-OC function, it gives you a platform to build on. Rather than guessing maximum OCs and voltages, the hardware finds the highest point of failure and then you can tweak it from there. That's what I did. I found the sweet-spot for my mobo.

Rather than letting it automatically OC the CPU [and run the voltages into post-1.4V territory] you can use it to benchmark the HW and then modify the voltages and speeds yourself.

ASUS told me that I could get 4.5GHz with 1.4vCore - yeah, right. I got 4.6Ghz with 1.34 or 1.35v. I forget. If I used 1.4v, I'd probably get 4.7GHz lol.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    Not to pee on the bonfire here, but OCin your CPU for gaming purposes is probably a bit pointless. Your CPU is not going to be bottleneck with an i7-2600.

You might get a few FPS increase in performance. If your reasons were for video encoding/editing, then there might be some more substantial benefit.

Of course, if you want to do it, just because you can, then that is also a valid ground. However, don't expect to see huge differences in game, it just looks nice on the BIOS POST screen.

9. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    thanks for the replys guys :) much to read :).

I normally know what voltages cpus can handle and how to use the settings in bios , my only problem is getting the oc stable.

I used to do alot of encoding thats why i had a i7 965 extreme previously and that cpu was easier to oc but was a bugger for the heat and had to get a good cooler for it.

I still do a little hd encoding so it may benefit me but I will see how everything goes.

again its much appreciated for the replies and as usual you guys are excellent :) just wish other forums were this nice , some people can be so nasty and expect people to know everything.

10. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Indeed Sinzer. I clocked my 2600 down to 1.6GHz in Crysis 2, just to see what effect it would have. I didn't lose any FPS :eek:

The CPU usage went up a bit, but I never lost out; C2 seems fairly well optimised for multi-threaded CPUs, but I'd like to see what effect it would have in a game where it really only grinds on one core! Or is hugely CPU dependant, e.g. Hitman Absolution.

I might try it, to see what effect I get when going from 3.4GHz to 4.6GHz, in Hitman.

You're better off getting a program that can utilise the HD3000 chip on the CPU. I was doing some conversion, and the x86 vs the iGPU was fairly on par. Especially when my CPU was encoding on 8 threads @ 4.6GHz [there were merely seconds between them].

Although, you can OC the iGPU too, which I never did, but you will be able to squeeze those seconds down I'd imagine! :D

11. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Nothing wrong with overclocking the cpu. Free performance even if the gains are tiny with a few games. I wouldn't use anything apart from the bios, the asus software is bloatware!

12. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Well I'm a little stumped, I've tried doing what a few sites have said but the current CPU ratio is locked at 16 - 34 which is 34 as the maximum which gives me 3400mhz . Now normally when I do OC I would change the clock ratio and bam OC given.

Anyone got any ideas ?

13. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    Have you disabled the real time ratio changer in bios and windows, so it stops scaling to lower clocks, if thats enabled i think it'll lockdown the multiplier

14. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I think it's working as CPU-z shows the core speed as 4ghz and multiplier at 40

15. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    Yeah then its working :)

16. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Mmm I think my ram has reduced, I have 1600 but showing as 1333

Edit

Fixed , bios showed as auto so set to 1600.

I ran a few benchmarks and CPU increase didn't alter outcome of the results but was very stable at 4ghz, I have one of those CPU liquid cooling from corsair which seems to keep the temps at no higher than 70 ish .

17. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    You should set your RAM to use the XMP profiles :)

70-ishC?

What thermal paste are you using? I get around 70-75C when I'm using prime, and I've only got mine running on air! :eek:

18. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Not sure if it was a artic silver paste , but yea 70C was my highest temp on full load but that was just a quick glimpse, I need to get a good programme so I can monitor properly as I'm not sure if the readings were correct.

What temps am I looking for ? Safety wise? If those are too warm I may need to clean the coolent block and put new paste on.

19. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    70 is fine, under a decent cooling system that would be about the top end of where i'd let it go

20. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    I use Arctic Cooling MX4. Even put that stuff on my GPU; chopped 10C. Even at idle. 20C cut off when benching!

I'm sure the SB has a thermal limit of about 93C - You want to keep at least 10C below that though.

I'd say 70C = Great. 80C = Absolute maximum. 90C = The CPU will throttle, you need to either 1) lower your vCore and/or reapply some TIM!

21. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    My i5 3.4GHz CPU will bottleneck during large battles in Planetside 2, sometimes dropping the framerate to less than 30. OCing to 4.3Gz has significantly improved things, I rarely drop below 40 fps now.

22. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    Planetside 2 is an exception to the norm though, its hugely cpu dependant

23. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    i might grab planetside 2 and see how it runs :) Ive set the clock on cpu back to stock for now so i can have a proper read on some stuff but it looks like my max multiplier is 59 so in theory 5.9ghz but i dont think i would like to try that :).

looking at most people the i7 2600 should clock at a stable 4.1 - 4.2 ghz which i think will be more than enough :).

Im gonna open my case up to check the airflow and the coolers grill to make sure its got no dust blocking airflow even with dust protectors on it somehow gets in.
    I will check my paste again but im sure i changed the paste about 6 months ago so it should be ok for another 6.