Overclocking advice on custom R9 290

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Sunshinewelly, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Sunshinewelly

Sunshinewelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +483
    I have recently bought a sapphire R9 290 vapor x which comes OC'd at 1000 on the core and with effective memory clock of 5.6 GHz (1400 memory clock).

However i am having trouble getting much more out of it which is surprising.

I can get it running at 1100 on the core and 1450 on memory but anything higher and i get artifacts in game. Does having a low PSU have any bearing on clocking. The recommended PSU is a 750 w one but i am using my 600w one. (most reviews say a 600w is fine). Also do artifacts mean that damage is being caused to a card.

My card also seems quite hot - i know that these cards with stock coolers get to 95 degrees but mine when OC'd gets to 82 degrees when using automatic fan control. I have had to place my card on the lower pc express x 16 slot due to its size which means the fans are practically touching the bottom of my pc case. I can get lower temps if using a custom fan but thought that 82 was excessive

2. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,187
    must be getting to the max oc then if getting artifacts, i can never be bothered with the time for proper oc'ing. I usually just have a search around the web and on here and see what people are getting and go from there. Few seraches should see what people are getting and with what settings. I wouldnt be going mad on a 600w psu tho.
    For example my 970 i knew people can get around 1500 core quite easily so i whacked on +75mv +100 core (1467) and +150 mem few benches and tests and left it.

Regarding temps low 80's is ok best bet there is to custom the fans and tweak it up over time to get good compromise between temp and fan noise.

3. Sunshinewelly

Sunshinewelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +483
    I dont know what a safe voltage tweak would be especially with my PSU

4. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: