Overclocking a 920 DO

cabanatuan

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all. im going to try and properly OC my cpu to around 3.8ghz.

is this doable? at stock i am getting a max 60c temps on it WC as well.

My aim is to keep it below 70c. is that doable for a 3.8ghz?

From my understanding, to OC this cpu, i have to adjust the BCLK, adjust Vcore and make sure my ram timings are manually set

For 3.8Ghz set Bclk to 190 and vcore to 1.27 ish. Turn of speed spectrum, CE1 etc...

Google overclocking a i7 920 and loads of detailed guides will pop up. I get 4.0Ghz @ 1.275 vcore.

Cheers. Did u set memory voltage on yours?

Reason why im going to OC my cpu now is that i think it may benefit in games now?

Cheers. Did u set memory voltage on yours?

Reason why im going to OC my cpu now is that i think it may benefit in games now?

Yeah I did. :)

Clocking your cpu will benefit some games.

Hi all. im going to try and properly OC my cpu to around 3.8ghz.

is this doable? at stock i am getting a max 60c temps on it WC as well.

My aim is to keep it below 70c. is that doable for a 3.8ghz?

From my understanding, to OC this cpu, i have to adjust the BCLK, adjust Vcore and make sure my ram timings are manually set
what motherboard have you got jonney?

p6t delux
Ok. Was going to suggest had it been a P6X58D-E or Premium, to try some of Xmisery's settings in this thread (2nd post down).

--The Asus P6X58D Premium & E Thread--

I used his settings for 4.2 and have never looked back (one and a half year ago). Maybe the settings are useful for other Asus boards though too. The guy obviously knows his stuff, and I like his emphasis on as low voltage settings as possible.

techmob said:

Cheers I am trying that now. Doing a test on 1.25v 3.8ghz . I first tried same clock speed but with 1.2v and it failed. What's the stock voltage of my CPU and the max it can go in terms of voltage?

same chip and board as me johhny.

I am running at 4ghz....have been for nearly 2 years.

If you need help over the next few days Just ask.

Sadly I can't help tonight as I'm quite drunk and can't be arsed to fire up my rig and check my settings for you....so i'm on the ipad atm.

Edit. I believe these chips don't like uneven multipliers so 21 x 191 = 4GHZ mine didnt like a 20 multi.

Last edited:
Cool thanks. Anyways FIFA and bf3 run great but skyrim keeps crashing and getting odd artifacts an weird graphical issues on just that game?

Cool thanks. Anyways FIFA and bf3 run great but skyrim keeps crashing and getting odd artifacts an weird graphical issues on just that game?

Weird graphical artifacts... What do you mean?

If your screen starts stuttering, going different colours. That is your GPU overheating.

If textures are just flickering, or stuff keeps popping up, that is just the game :rolleyes:

TheNameIsJambo said:
Weird graphical artifacts... What do you mean?

If your screen starts stuttering, going different colours. That is your GPU overheating.

If textures are just flickering, or stuff keeps popping up, that is just the game :rolleyes:

Yea textures going all over the place and sometimes freezes my PC. I think I have fixed it now. I had vsync forced off in the nvidia panel so I can get more fps. Indoors in skyrim I was getting 100+fps lol.

It is also fair to say, that for some reason, Skyrim does seem to pick on the tiniest instability in any CPU overclock. I have had 3 systems (not my own, I might add) where people have complained that Skyrim was crashing, artifacting, glitching etc. On investigation, they were all overclocked and setting them back to factory settings and/or stabilising the overclock (most cases by increasing VCore or QPI) fixed the problem completely. In all cases all other games (even those that seem to tax the CPU more) ran fine!

It is also fair to say, that for some reason, Skyrim does seem to pick on the tiniest instability in any CPU overclock. I have had 3 systems (not my own, I might add) where people have complained that Skyrim was crashing, artifacting, glitching etc. On investigation, they were all overclocked and setting them back to factory settings and/or stabilising the overclock (most cases by increasing VCore or QPI) fixed the problem completely. In all cases all other games (even those that seem to tax the CPU more) ran fine!
for me its because vsync was off. u need it on, once it goes above 60fps the game engine cant cope.. i have actually increased the GPU OC as well and runs fine all because of vsync LOL

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom