overclocking 3200 64?

surreal dave

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering is it ok to overclock the 3200 athlon 64 to 2.2 ghz with just the original athlon fan supplyed with the cpu? Thanks

surreal dave said:
Hi guys, I was wondering is it ok to overclock the 3200 athlon 64 to 2.2 ghz with just the original athlon fan supplyed with the cpu? Thanks

what temps are you getting mate? have you had to increase voltages? which revision core?
mines at 2.4 at 32c idle with 1.42v

Thanks for the quick reply,

My cpu was 2.0ghz (stock), 1.425v, 32c idle

The only problem is my pc is now deciding to crash randomly, sometimes even at bios! I tryed to overclock my cpu a 2.10 for a while then reverted back and ow it keeps restarting! Sorry this is a bit hurried as I don't know when it's going to crash again.

I've tryed various programs to monitor my cpu and everything seems to be ordinary. I hope I havent busted my cpu :( But I cant see how overclocking it 1 ghz can damage it, The temps were ok. Ive now underclocked to 1.6 and it still restarts. I get a voice 'system failed due to cpu overclocking'! Im bloomin underclocking!! Any ideas on what to do?

I just bought an opteron 165 for about 200 quid and im about to start over clocking it to see how high it can go.

Stock speed is only 1.8ghz but its supposed to have really good OC potential.

It comes with 1mb lvl 2 chache per core, and is only 89w.

Im going to use water cooling and a 450watt PSU which im geting delivered tonite so ill be able to start OC'ing.

Ill let you guys know how high i can take it.

It should go all the way up to 2.6 (matching the FX 60 at only a fraction of the cost) :thumbsup:

I would be tempted to re -set all you bios settings to to original (Stock) setttings to see if your chip runs ok at the original stock settings.

When you say you use programs to check - what are u using?

Prime95 is a great program to check the stability of your clocking. You need to run it for 10/12 hours to get the maximum check that your system is ok.

Also check that you ram is ok - is this overclocked at all? Sometimes a random crash can occur when you ram stick/sticks are running overclocked etc.

Try resetting all your FSB, Ram etc back to stock and see what happens.
---

I have the 3700+ chip and it's running perfect @ 2.7ghz, on stock cooler and stock voltage. Not even touched the ram timings at all. Well happy - will probably go further but haven't had the time to muck about with it recently!!

Attachments

• overclock.JPG
    overclock.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 69
ok, theres something wrong with your setup mate as underclocking it should not make it crash, im inclined to say its not the cpu right now. its either your ram or motherboard crapping out like booyake suggested, id run some proggies to test stability, theres no need to change settings and run for 12 hours each time you change something though, only do that when your 95% ready to really test it after some other tests in windows. using superpi to test stability for a few mins when in windows and cpuz to find out detials about your system
but first off try using memtest in dos mode to check its ok. if not use one stick or try changing slots, is this a new problem or one thats just come up?
reset the bios before setting off though as this will give you a good base for changes and default values. a full system spec would be great aswell mate.

At the mo my specs are :

3200 Athlon 64
X800 XT PE
Asus A8V Deluxe
1 GB Ram - Generic
80 GB Maxtor Hard drive
Enermax 600W
Thermaltake Damier V5000A

The programs I'm using are cpu-z, Asus probe and Sisoftware Sandra lite.

I've tryed the comp at stock levels on everything and it still crashed, I tryed the cpu on 1.6 as I said earlier and I'm now on 1.4!! It hasnt crashed yet though so I'll cross my fingers :p (Thats what makes me think it could be the cpu...)

I havent touched my ram they are still at stock level. However the ram isn't expensive so this could be the problem. I'll run some tests later to determine whether it is but it never really occured to me that it could be the ram.

I was originally going to get some water cooling for my cpu (gigabyte 3d galaxy/ Big water, whats the best?) instead of buying a new cpu and saving money in the long run. But now this has happened I don't want to waste money on that and find out my cpu is busted. (I would get both but money doesnt grow on trees where I live im afraid :)

Ive run spy checks and nailed out the possibility of viruses.

I'll run some of those programs you guys have mentioned later and change the ram around, thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated...

i have my AMD 64 3200 upped from 200mhz to 280mhz, on default voltage and standard retail AMD heatsink and fan, and the temps are fine! :)

So....2.52ghz!

@ surreal dave, is the ram rated for 3200 speeds? using cpuz will tell you, it might be youre trying to run the ram faster than it should be going or using the wrong divider etc. also, use the bios to set any changes to speed as programs under windows are crap. great to check for a quick fix but if youre running it for any length of time do it in the bios.

I would 2nd Semiskimmed as i would be certain that due to you dropping the FSB so that your chip is only running at 1.4 ghz would most likely to bring your ram back to a safe level of speed etc.(thus not crash)

Is the ram one single 1 gb or 2 x 512mb? If 2 sticks try using just one at a time and see what happens at stock levels and then try the other one and see what happens.

Check the bios and see what settings are there first.

Get rid of the generic ram and buy some decent stuff, 1 gb 400mhz in a 2x 512mb pack with decent timings (for those so inclined) can be had for £70 i got my coursair stuff for this price almost a year ago and its rock solid. If you want to push the fsb you can keep things in check by buying faster ram, i.e. setting both cpu and ram at 500Mhz will run better than if they were different (in most situations).

OK perhaps I'm a plonker but I've just found the culprit of my problems....

The power cable

There was a loose connection to the psu and that explains the random restarts. Futhermore, I would occasionally accidently knock the pc gently and it would reboot once again.

But thanks guys for all your time, this information is greatly appreciated and will be remembered. Thanks again Dave.

P.s @ MJN. From 2.0GHZ to 2.52ghz. Thats quite a margin on the stock fan, atleast to my knowledge. Do you regularly place your cpu under stress for large amounts of time (Games?) or is this just general tasks? What is your multiplier? Apparently 9.5 gets the best performance. I read that the max temp for a athlon 64 is 65 degrees but I want to keep it way under that

glad youve got it sorted out now and its usually a silly little thing.
with regards to overclocking, i dont know where youve read that a .5 multiplier gived the best performance, ive always been taught that a .5 multi is baad. and only to use full numbers.
a 3200 stock multi is 10 so if you stick in fast ram or use a divider on the ram then you should be able to hit 2.2-2.3 on stock volts. my overclocking is with 1.42v(see sig) thats with no divider though so the cpu and ram are in sync with each other (ratio 1:1)

surreal dave said:
P.s @ MJN. From 2.0GHZ to 2.52ghz. Thats quite a margin on the stock fan, atleast to my knowledge. Do you regularly place your cpu under stress for large amounts of time (Games?) or is this just general tasks? What is your multiplier? Apparently 9.5 gets the best performance. I read that the max temp for a athlon 64 is 65 degrees but I want to keep it way under that

Football Manager hammers it at 100% for long periods, plus Nero can be intensive on the CPU. But it passes Prime95, SuperPI and others with no problems.

same here - 2.2Ghz is standard for the 3700 i have and it's running at 2.7ghz fine - no crashing etc - passes Super PI and 14 hours prime.

Runs BF2 for 2/3 hours at a time no probs so a 0.5Ghz increase on all stock voltages, fans etc. Memory also running 1:1 with the FSB.

Glad you got it sorted.

nice cpu there booyaka. 500mhz on stock V's is pretty good going. have you got stock cooling too?

surreal dave said:

hi mate,
is it a socket 754 ?

my old 3200+ run 2.3ghz on stock heatsink & fan as the others said you need new ram, i had ocz gold series pc3700

heres a screen shot of my old FX-55 at 3.3ghz using a mach 2 gt at -57c :)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/c13bro/computers/temp.jpg

semiskimmed said:
nice cpu there booyaka. 500mhz on stock V's is pretty good going. have you got stock cooling too?

indeed stock cooling, heatsink and fan - all from retail cpu box. Temps are about 31 idle and 45/46 after 14 hours prime95 and about the same after 3 hours of battlefield 2.

Couple of case fans - will be changing them soon to a couple of quiet Asaka amber fans and will also change the stock cpu fan to an Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. Mainly for the noise level rather than the actual cooling effect as i'm quiet happy with the temps.

I think i could probably increase the FSB a bit more and get 2.8/2.9 out of it but would need to work out/understand dividers on my RAM as it's currently running 1:1 with the FSB.

Happy with 2.7 mind you!!!:D :D

Nah, it's a socket 939, but arent socket 754's 2.2 ghz stock anyway? (or is that the xp version...)

OLD FX-55! What do you have now, FX60? It's not up for sale is it?

Dave.

Ive been researching for some cheap (but effective) cooling for overclocking cpu's and have found these:

XP-90 Heatsink with
A2028 Thermaltake fan (9 cm, 92.61 CFM, 45.5 dB)

This is the best selection I've personally been able to find can anyone second that? Thanks

id leave both those alone tbh.
go for either a termaltake xp120 or a thermalright typhoon.
both are excellent and are about the nest air cooling available. just make sure you pair the xp120 with a decent fan (akasa amber or something)

Thanks m8, Coincidentally I've still been researching and have come to the same conclusion :) I'm just a little worried about the size and installation :(

After much research, I've decided to go for the XP-120, arctic silver 5 and the Panaflo L1A. Thanks for your help semiskimmed. Here we come 3200 @ 3.6ghz...

no worries mate, which mobo have you got? just to check that the xp120 fits :)

I got the Big Typhoon and its excellent, haven't really bothered with oc'ing but for a quiet high performaqnce pc you can't go wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom