1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclockers UK (Stoke on Trent)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hermanmunster, Mar 22, 2005.

1. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I don't know whether this the right forum for this (moderators please) but I know a lot of you spend large amounts of money on computer hardware. It seems the company are a successful operation selling top performance computer parts. What does seem to be an issue is if there is a problem with a product you buy. You are supposed to contact them by phone....but they don't answer, by web note but they don't reply..and there's no email facility. I live fairly close to them so I can get around that problem.

Their policy seems to be once it's sold it's yours and your only recourse is with the courts....I am currently going through the court process so I cannot add much detail. However what I can say is that a product sold to my son to do 'x' cannot do 'x' and this is not disputed, he bought it to do 'x' on their advice, now they say....it's not faulty (true) so no exchange for something that will do 'x'.

Sorry to long winded and cryptic but in a nutshell:

IF YOU REALLY MUST DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE BEWARE!!!!! USE A CREDIT CARD SO AT LEAST YOU HAVE SOME REDRESS :mad:

I think there are other disgruntled customers on Pricerunner

2. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes I was in store just last week and they informed me of this new policy, I do like the company for the superb range of products they stock but heaven help if things go wrong just getting served in store is a big big problem always big queues and not enough staff to serve you, tell them what you wish to purchase and I have had to wait up to 30 min's for the stock to make it to the counter good luck.

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Overclockers used to be a company with a good reputation for selling quality PC components at reasonable prices and modest afterservice. I saw a post on another forum (pc based), to which a large number of people responded, having also had problems with Overclockers aftersales, and one prompted a reply from said store. It made for a pretty shocking read as it was pretty uncompromising stuff, and like herman this guy is taking OC to court.

Trading standards are apparently looking into OC's T&C's as they are flying over the "wrong side of the border" of standard comsumer law.

So, beware of using OC - unless you're good at DIY!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There was a longish thread about these people a few weeks ago .. definitely a place to avoid.

5. edhg

edhg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those that find themselves in a situation where a supplier is wrongfully retaining their money, the court service have an online tool which you can use to make a claim. It could be a useful mechanism for use against companies who ignore requests for help.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco/guidelines_main.jsp

6. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I live about 400 yards from Overclockers and go into the shop at least once a week.
    Every now and then I have a faulty part eg NEC 3520 and Tagan PSU and both items were changed immediately with no questions asked. Everybody else who has gone to the counter have either been asked if they want an exchange or their money back. I obviously can't comment on their mail order though but over the counter they are 10/10. You can queue a long time though so I'll take one point off.

7. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just to give a balanced view i ordered the following and had no problems whatsoever

FG-000-ZA Zalman ZMF1 80mm Silent Case fan - 3 pin (FG-000-ZA) x 1
    FG-001-ZA Zalman ZMF2 92mm Silent Case fan - 3 pin (FG-001-ZA) x 1
    FG-001-VA Vantec Vibration Dampening Kit for Case Fan - 80mm (FG-001-VA) x 1
    GX-077-AS Asus EAX800XL/2DTV ATI Radeon X800 XL 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-077-AS) x 1

However, if I had a problem I would drive from Kent !

8. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I havent used them in over 12months now after 2 serious problesm with them. They sent me a used motherboard (faulty) and lots of lying regarding a replacement. A failed delivery on a differnet order with lots of lying about when I would receive it.

They are so rubbish it's beyond belief.

9. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Do you have a link to this post or the forums where it was posted. Would like to have a read.

I've been buying from OCUK for over 6 yrs now and it is always the 1st site I look to when I need something. They have always sent out the good the same day I ordered, it's usually the courier who messes up.

I too had problems returning faulty goods and getting a refund was a nightmare. But they have realised they had problems and have been working to improve their customer service. I haven't had a reason to return anything over the last 18 months so can't say if it really has improved or not.

OCUK are not alone and I can remember atleast 3 other online PC retailers who made it very difficult to return goods. But I must mention KustomPC, their customer service has always been top notch. Emails replied to in minutes by the owner himself (Graham) whose very helpful and accepted a return after over a month and didn't even charge me postage for the replacement, try getting a reply out of Spie (from OCUK). I would shop there more if only their prices were more competitive

10. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've used them many times in the past without any problems. Delivery time has been second to none i.e. order by lunchtime, get the goods next day. Far better than EBuyer and Dabs on that front.

I've never had anything go wrong, but a friend has. His Athlon 64 kept bluescreening, so sent it back to Overclockers and got a replacement within 5 days.

I've read a number of threads on bad service, but this seems to be no different to other E-Tailers - they are just box shifters after all. Even the big companies get it wrong..... I've had a absolute nightmare dealing with Dell over an Axim x50V and a desktop. Axim took 6 weeks, and the desktop was delivered tonight after nearly 3 weeks with couriers!

I think there were some threads on the DVD Forums about Overclockers if anyone wants to search.

11. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If you are a cold caller to the shop/unit you can basically see all the people who work there and it makes me wonder how so few people can process so many orders. If you go to the Overclockers jobs page you will see that there are always jobs available at OCUK. The owner can't get enough workers and many are sacked for incompetence and its most of these guys that angry customers have had problems with. Priority will always be the selling of stuff so if you're shortstaffed your efforts will concentrate there but I know they try their best with returns

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    Just check the web for what people think on this company over the last 12 months, were the quality of them has declined vastly.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    The link to that other pc forum was in the other thread here about overclockers if I remember correctly.

14. Pogue

Pogue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought thousands of £££'s worth (well into five figures!) from OCUK going back to before they were even called OCUK, they used to be really good, fast delivery, returns no problem, I even used to do 200 mile round trips to go and see them.

And then I bought an optical mouse off them which took 3 weeks to arrive, was told to return it which I did, they then said they'd never received it even though I had tracking info back to them. To cut a long story (very) short I never had a refund.

Bye bye around £2k a year of business from me and I know a lot of others who have had similar experiences.

IMHO the boss there has got a bit too big for his boots so to speak.

15. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I do hope that the people who live close enough to the shop tell tham about these threads. I hate to see a business suffer when it is possible then dont even know what people think of them.

16. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    HI John. I think it was, but I'll try and get the original link which is on a forum I use.

It's not even the fact that OC's service has declined that annoys people, so much as their arrogant and dismissive attitude towards customers that use their online service. I use Ebuyer regularly, and recently they have gone in the opposite direction. After sales (despite warning you that it's a 7 day wait) do get back to you, and deliveries are now much faster. They, unlike OC's, have taken customer complaints onboard.

I agree margins are tight online, but being offhand with paying customers is just bad business practise - as is denying consumer rights.

17. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    This seems to have picked up speed a bit....I also have spent £1000's with them....when everythings alright then no problem....its when it's not then you find out just how bad they are.

They are in no doubt how people feel about them...I personally greeted all their customers over a 2 hour period just so they were all`well informed about their purchases :)

Don't think the manager / owner was too happy though :clap:

18. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It is of course only my personal opinion and I will stand being corrected on some aspects at least, I also have spent lot of money at ocuk and the business used to be owned by two investors one of whom formerly owned a business called millennium computers, another local firm that was merged into ocuk, millennium was a fantastic local firm with friendly service and competent staff as was ocuk for a reasonable period of time, now after some time that person (former owner of millennium) for reasons unknown to me left ocuk and from that point on in my opinion customer service at ocuk really went downhill I wonder if they are a victim of their own success.

19. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    dapex they are well aware of the poor reputation they rightfully have. This is beyond the usual bad experiences every etailer has, overclockers are in a league of their own as far as online reputation goes. Many threads in many different forums have accounted numerous terrible customer service experience. I still buy from them because they do stock items not available elsewhere at times and their prices are good. Delivery is usually first class it's everything after that when things start to break down.

You can appreciate some people holding a gudge and mouthing off loudly because of a unusual experience but overclockers reputation is well deserved. Personally I have had a number of bad experiences with them, most recently waiting 8 months for a refund after being chaged incorrectly .. yup 8 months with numerous phone calls, emails; spoke to the customer service manager personally 3 times and was assured from him and others that the refund would be done "today".

A friend of mine had to drive from London to Stock to show them a card was obviously faulty after he returned it to them and they refused to refund his money saying the card worked. After going all those miles and plugging the card into their machine it was clear that the card was faulty and he was told he would get a refund, for which he waiting 6 months. It wasn't like he didn't email them and follow procedure they just blankly told him that the card they had was working fine and there was to be no refund. They even had the cheek of asking him to pay £15 to have the card he knew to be faulty returned to him.

No, overclockers have a well deserved reputation, they have to go some way to try and improve it. I advise people to look elsewhere, pretty much anywhere else if they can. If you order from overclockers you only have yourself to blame.

20. darenc1967

darenc1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have over the past few years order a lot of equipment through ocuk. However my last order caused me a lot of problems.

They charge quite a lot for delivery and when paying premium i expect the service i have paid for. th courier company they used for my delivery in essex basically recieved the packages and made no attempt to deliver the goods, they updated the computer system and said that the property had been carded as no on was in. There was someone present at the address for the whole day, and there was no card left at this address. The courier company were nearly impossible to contact and OCUK were also impossible to get throught to some one, answer message please try later and then i was disconnected.

I had go pick the items up myself(round trip of 30miles) then had hassle with the courier because I didn't have a card. The woman as the couriers agreed that they made no delivery attempt as it was a residential address when I pressed her, she knew there was no way I could have a card for the item and released it to me.

This was all documented and passed to ocuk via mail and email and I have not recieved any response. This is completely unacceptable !!!!

They will no longer recieve any custom or recommendation from myself.

Please do not use this company unless you can visit them.

21. steveing64

steveing64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I live 5 mins away from them so never phone them tried once never got a reply. Have bought from regulary no probs till last week my barton xp2800 stopped working took it back shop which was busy after waiting 20 mins was served they told me there would be a ten pond charge to test cpu which would not have to pay if was faulty luckily it was so exchanged no probs but ther were 5 othere people in there returning faulty goods so had made me a bit wary of using them in future. would def not do business by post with them

22. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15