1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclock help!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by AML, Jul 30, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Im trying to over clock my Northwood P4 2.8C to 3.0 or if possible 3.2ghz.

Im using a Gygabite Motherboard and PC3200 ram (2gig)
    In the bios, I can increase the frequency from 200 to 220 or higher ( max 300) but if it goes higher than 200 the PC wont start up and i have to reset the bios.

I think I have to raise the voltage for the cpu, gpu and memory?

I tried rasing it 1 level but it still didnt work.
    What am I doing wrong???

Do i raise the voltage then restart then raise the frequency to 220?

Advice please!

Im doing this for DOOM 3 and HL2 in case your wondering.
    My PC falls shy of the requirements for high settings.
    Basically I need a faster CPU and beter graphics card!

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    increase which frequency? the FSB? Increasing that from 200 to 220 in one shot is quite a jump, you might want to try increasing it by 1 or 2 at a time until you find a setting which works. Increasing it to 300 may well destroy it unless you use watercooling or better. Also make sure the RAM setting is on calculate by SPD and not FSB, or you'll be overclocking your ram at the same time as the CPU, and that's the quickest way to ruin your ram. If you have a multiplier option, you may also try reducing your FSB and increasing the multiplier, ie 2x200 = 400, 3x 166 = 498

Beware when overclocking though, you might get a setting which seems ok, but 5 minutes later fries your CPU. Make sure you have a very good cooling system in your case, don't overclock if you have the heatsink and fan that came with the CPU and don't overclock if you don't have good heat dissipation throughout the case.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Thanks for the advice
    Its tricky i know, and i wouldn do it unless i needed to.
    Yeah I think its the FSB im trying to raise, I hope to get it all the way to 220 in order to get 3.0ghz on my 2.8ghz CPU.
    I cant raise the multiplier coz its locked.

As for cooling, I bought a separate cooler which can take heat from a 3.2ghz P4. so even if i clock it to 3.0 it should be ok.
    Ill do as you said and do it slowly.

Also do I need to raise the voltage for all the parts?

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Your best bet is to increase the FSB until your pc starts becoming unstable, then increase the voltage a step or two to see if that stabilises things. You can also try decreasing the voltage, which may work in a few cases.

If given the option, don't increase voltage to PCI, AGP, USB or anything like that by very much as you may risk damaging devices in those slots if you do.

Also, if you get instability, try taking the side of the case off and seeing if that stabilizes things after a few minutes. If taking the side off works at stabilizing then you may have a temperature problem, and should not overclock any further without getting extra cooling, such as an intake fan at the front of the case and an outlet fan at the back of the case, so that the cool air blows past the cpu on its way to the back of the case where its sucked out.

Also, the multiplier may be unlockable. This can be done with hacked firmware, or sometimes even by using a jumper on the motherboard, or drawing a line between two contacts with a pencil, but it is normally possible if you have a look around. If you don't know where to look, let me know the model of the motherboard and i'll see if i can find anything for you.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    thanks again, ill try rasing it slowly first before i make alterations to my motherboard!

the only reason i want to do it at all is coz i heard some people managed to raise a northwood p4 2.8c (which i have) all the way up to 3.5ghz and it even ran better than a p4 3.6ghz in benchmarks!

I doubt ill get it that high, but ill be happy if i can raise it by a couple of mhz.

I simply cant afford the asking price for a slightly faster CPU, especialy when u can clock it for free!

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    As above but as its intel make sure the agp is set to fixed.
    Increaseing memory voltage is realy dodgy as memory is very unstable.
    Some motherboared have different straps for the memory
    ie 1:1 (FSB:mem frequency) or 2:3 5:4 etc and this allows the FSB to be pushed higher without maxing out the mem frequecy.

Its better just to buy MEM that will best match the overclock frequency you want like pc 3700 or pc4000.
    of which OCZ is most stable and are garenteed to work at 2.9 volts which is more than enough.

Also just adding a stock cooler that is for a bigger MHZ cpu is risky. u have to remember that cooler is for a stock voltage, once you start overclocking you are surpassing that a fair bit, and its suprising how much extra heat will be created using increased voltage. I wouldnt use a intel cooler, but somthing like a zalman all copper cooler should be fine(and quiet)

Any overclock above 225 will realy only be safe with water cooling for both the cpu and the northbrigde chip

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    i also notice you use 2gig of ram, is that two sticks of 1gig or 4 at 512mb?

on quite a few motherboareds if you populate all 4 slots it can actualy slow the system down.(problem is mostly with dual channel boards)

Or why not just invest in an abit IC7-G-MAX3. a very stable overclockers dream motherboared.

(it should also be noted not all motherboards like to be overclocked.
    so the MB choice is vital for good overclocking)

the sad thing is overclock dosent come cheap, as u realy need the best of equipment to acheive a good overclock.
    Check out those systems that have got a high overclock then see how much they spent on components.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    As gandley has stated make sure the AGP frequency is locked as this is the first fall over point in most overclocking. For my money if you have to raise the voltages to anything higher than what a normal Intel 3.2 needs then your chip can't take the OC, having said that a 2.8 should get to 3.0/3.2 as thats only a 10% or so OC. For the games you have mentioned I think your graphics card is going to be more of a guide to the performance you will achieve than a 10% OC of the CPU, Good luck.

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Thanks all! Ill see how it goes!

Ill probably end up building a new faster PC in a year or so.

Im thinking of going 64bit next time.
    I heard that Intel will release its Xeon 64 for the regular market (not for servers) and it should rival the AMD chips.
    PCI Express. And the New BTX configuration (already used by Sony Vaios in Japan) should help to keep it cooler.
    Also without a real 64 bit OS theres not much point to have a 64bit CPU so longhorn or XP64!

What u guys think? a bit far away?

( to answer the RAM question it is 4 sticks of 512mb)