1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overblown bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SOUNDSTYLE, Nov 11, 2002.

1. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Does anyone else have the same problem as me?
    I play a certain film or cd and the bass is excellent and then I play a different film and a different cd and the bass is overpowering and boomy.

Is this due the mix of the film or cd and does everyone suffer with this problem?

Sometimes a cd I'm listening to has such smooth bass that I have to turn the volume up on my Velodyne CHT-15 sub and it sounds just perfect.

Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Bass levels vary from dvd to dvd as well as from cd to cd. Can´t say my bass is overblown but it does vary in level depending on the source.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too notice the different levels that can vary from disc to disc, but not to the extent that the bass is overblown.

4. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Definitely a problem for me and has been since day 1 of subwoofer ownership. My attitude basically is to set the sub level to suit the films which matter to me (Toy Story was my 'reference' disk for a few years) and the rest can go to hell! Otherwise you are constantly changing settings which is a pain in the butt. I've found most good films have similar bass levels so this method has served me well. As for music, I've only just started using the sub for hi fi and noticed last night that Madonna's Ray of Light album has WAY too much bass for the current setting. Bitch! (And ZZ Top was perfect! Can you believe that...)

5. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've found Madonna's 'Ray of light' has too much bass aswell.
    So it's not just me then.:)
    I think it must be the room we have the sub in which is causing the problem because as jase and bob007 say, they don't have boomy bass at all.
    Other owners of my Velodyne CHT-15 comment on chest thumping bass which I don't get, so it must be the layout of my room:(

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The most likely reason for finding some software which sounds too bassy is that a room mode is being exited at the frequency recorded on that track or album. Try a sweep test to see if your sub is linear

7. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a good sounding bass is all about setup, unless you're lucky likeJase.
    poda's advise is spot on. You'll find that when you do a sweep test, testing a range of frquencies, that at a certain point you'll have a peak. That is why some cds/dvds seem overblown because very use that frequency.
    Somehow you have to find a way to tame it. I've done it by weighing down my sub - putting a 20kg stone ontop, and making sure all my settings are correct
    Its a long process but when you've got it and you hear that perfect base, you're in heaven:D :eek:

marc

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, look at this post from me about 2 weeks ago first :

As you can see I too was having similar problems, at the time certain CDs too were overpowering. Last week though I went mental in my room and I must have tried about 30 different locations for the HGS 18 and suddenly I must have hit the room's sweetspot because now everything is clean and tight, the previous sounds that caused this booming are now clean as a whistle, the greatest change though is playing CDs, the sub dissapears now when playing even bass heavy tracks, you think it's not enough bass but when you turn the sub off the music just totally loses all it's punch and warmth, it's a musical epiphany :)

I've temporarily placed masses of insulation in the corner nearest the sub, however this was done before the sweetspot was found so I don't know if that helps, I'll have to remove it all to see if it does help at all. Tomorrow I can show you pictures of what I mean if you want, just let me know.

Regards
    Phil

9. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    All help greatly appreciated. The specific frequency theory sounds very plausible, but I assume a test disk and SPL are required to perform a sweep...? My aim is chest-thumping bass nirvana.

10. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Exactly what I want.
    I'll have to buy a SPL to do a sweep test:(

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As promised here are some pics of my solution to bass anomalies. The room is in uproar atm as I've ripped all the insualtion that used to be on the front wall down, I've kept some of the insulation and massed it in the corner where the sub is just for the purposes of testing so excuse the butt ugliness of my setup atm :blush:

Here is a close-up of the foam and plasterboard combo.

This is an indication of how thick the layer of foam is.

Here is the sweetspot in relation to the corner of the room, I've tried just about every position in that corner in increments of about 20cm so it took some finding :eek:

Finally here is a picture taken from the exact spot my eyes would normally be at for viewing Birds Eye View

In the next 3 weeks almost everything in the room will look different as I'm installing a large curtain behind the TV to cover the wall and a new thick carpet is getting installed. What these additions will do to the acoustic behaviour of my room is of course unknown at this point. I've taken exact measurements of angles and distances the sub is presently at from the wall so I can match the position after the carpet install but I will try a more cornery position out of curiosity to see if the carpet has reduced the bass anomalies at all.

Edit - After seeing just how untidy my room looks in these pics I'm currently tidying up...............the camera never lies aye :rolleyes:

Regards
    Phil

13. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I moved the sub round this afternoon trying to find the sweet spot but all I got was boomy bass:mad:

I've got one **** room.:mad:

I've put it back where it was in the first place where I'll have to live with it for now, until I move in the future, which I hope will be soon.

14. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Apocalypse
    It must be costing quite a bit to do what you're doing.
    It looks very impressive so far though.
    The problem with my set up and small room is that I can't position the sub next to my main speakers as their's no room, so I've got it up against the side wall facing out.
    I've tried the rear walls (opposite my tv, main/centre speakers etc.) and still get boomy bass.
    I give up.
    If only I had a bit more money so I could do what you're doing.:(

15. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't give up, when I tried on my first 20 odd attempts I just couldn't sort out the anomalies, then I got desperate and brought the sub into the room's centre a bit more and Eureka. Convention says keep the sub near the front wall or in the corner, screw convention I say as every single room behaves differently.

Soundstyle, just as a test place your sub in the centre of the room and see if you still get the bass peaks, if not then use it as a starting point and gradually move the sub as far away from the living area as possible before the boom returns. If you still have problems with the sub in the middle of the room then bass absorbers/equalisers may be the only option left to cure the bass problems :(

P.S- You're not alone in cursing your room I can assure you, seldom a day goes by when I don't think "I wonder what my setup would sound like in a 6m x 4m rectangular room or something similar"

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture doesn't show it but to get the sub in that position I had to move the right front speaker back about 1 foot, it's now about 2 feet further from the listening position than the left front. I decided that the sub was more important than stereo accuracy, in no way is it ideal but thanks for your kind words nonetheless.

The insulation at the time only cost me £80, what's in the pic is prolly only worth about £30-£40, the thick carpet and underlay + fitting will be £349.99 and the large curtain will cost about £70 for pole and bits. In the pic the sub is sat on an £18 rug from Argos and the room currently has a £39.99 rug, not exactly expensive but they do make a difference albeit without any aesthetic value :)

Regards
    Phil

17. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've had another go this afternoon but I'm still getting boomy bass whereever I put it.:(
    Some bass notes are excellent but it seems that the higher bass notes are the ones which are boomy.
    Is there something I can buy which would filter out these boomy bass lines (£2-300.00) and is known to do this without affecting the rest of the bass?

I really want to sort this out because I won't enjoy my Velodyne until I do.

Thanks

18. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Behringer Feedack Destroyer is supposed to do this.
    From reports from other users it's a good piece of kit for £90, but I've never used one myself.

19. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for that Mikek, it sounds interesting and for £90.00 aswell. Excellent.

Does anyone have any info for this destroyer.:)
    How good is it.
    Any reputable mags tested it?
    Things are looking up, I hope.

Thanks

20. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Until an actual user of one comes along, here's a few links

http://www.easternelectronics.co.uk/behringerdigit.htm

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=DSP1124P&lang=eng

You may be better off starting another thread requesting info from people who have one - there's a few around.

If you fancy something even more versatile

http://www.tech-mate.co.uk/Outboard_fx_Units/behringer/ultracurve.shtml

which has a feedback destroyer built in, as well as other stuff.
    You can get a calibrated mic. for this and apparently the unit can be set for fully auto operation. Doesn't look bad either for the money.
    As before though, never used one personally!!

21. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couch Potato has the said destroyer, do a search for his previous posts or PM him for further info, he was very helpfull to me.

Another option Soundstyle is the "Studio In A Box" absorbing panels available from here or Profoam from the same site. Both products are suitable for absorbing frequencies of 100Hz and above, again do a search on the Profoam as someone posted about how good it was about 2 weeks ago.

Regards
    Phil