overated albums

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by reevesy, Aug 10, 2006.

1. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    well finally got round to listening to a beatles album having never listened to anything of theirs unless it was on the radio or tv....had this nagging thing in the back of my mind that i should be as familiar with them as everyone else seems to be especially all this musicians and the like quoting what a influence they've been etc etc.......so as the white album pops up a lot i thought i'd give a spin (taking no chances...got a copy from the local libary).
    first couple of tracks fairly safe...back in the ussr and dear prudence...then the rest.......fairly self obsessed pap...instantly forgettable with only one other track, i thought, worth another spin and that was savoy truffle.
    i mean fair play to the beatles regarding their place in music history and all that....but this being in Qs 100 great albums...made the top 20 i think,if i remember rightly....think i'm missing something or more likely missing something illegal ;)
    anyhows heres my vote for one of the most overated albums of all time.
    ....and as for oasis saying that for a month this is all they listen to....constantly :eek:

................well not to be put off think i'm going to give revovler a whirl.....reckon paul mccartney could do with the extra cash at the mo

2. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I was disappointed with the White album when I first heard it, I much prefer Revolver.

Pet Sounds - a couple of great tracks, but not the experience I was led to believe.
    Brothers in Arms - :boring:
    Rumours - :boring:

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    The White album needs a lot of play before you get into it, although I can easily see why people don't like it. I can't stand Revolver myself, I think thats massively overated. I was listening to a radio show on the lines of "playing tracks off a classic album" and it reminded me of just how awful that album is.........

Other overated albums, Radiohead - The Bends good, but not that good, anything by Joy Division, God the fuss they made over that lot! I also like the Smiths but again, they pumped them up as the 'new Beatles' and I instantly went off them.......they just aren't that good.

Other albums, Low by Bowie, the critics rave, it bores, agree on Rumours, nice album but hardly a 'classic'.

4. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Best way to listen to the White album is to only listnen to side one of each disk. It was so obvious that the 1st sides on both were mostly John and George and the 2nd was almost all Paul. I literally did this, burnt a CD without most of the obvious Paul tracks. So you get

1 - Back in The USSR
    2 - Dear Prudence
    3 - Glass Onion
    4 - The Continuing Story of Bungalo Bill
    5 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    6 - Happiness is a Warm Gun
    7 - I'm So Tired
    8 - Blackbird
    9 - Why Don't We Do It In The Road
    10 - Julia
    12 - Birthday
    13 - Yer Blues
    14- Mother Nature's Son
    15 - Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and my Monkey
    16 - Helter Skelter
    17 - Long, Long, Long
    18 - Revolution

Now that is a good album. :cool:

As for other overrated albums. i would say

Parklife by Blur
    Everything by Coldplay except Parachutes
    Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie
    Play by Moby
    What The Story Morning Glory by Oasis
    Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd

5. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    have to agree on your choices....coldplay..... dont even get me started
    i've always been able to take or leave oasis but i have to say i've always thought morning glory was better than all their other stuff...personally thought their debut album was more overated....mind you you'd have to give them rock n roll star....does excactly what it says on the tin.

6. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    But is Whats the story by Oasis really rated highly anyhow???? Definately Maybe is one of the best albums ever made, so what if riffs & lyrics are nicked from elsewhere the final product is awesome. Even Noel couldn't understand why Whats the story sold more than Definately Maybe and was telling people at the time to not buy Whats the story & buy Definately Maybe instead.

Have to agree with OP about the White Album, cannot get into it, I have to say my fave Beatles album must be Magical Mystery tour, that album is so under rated & barely gets a mention.

Anything by Pink Floyd, Genesis & Radiohead is very well overated in my opinion:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: I would rather jump of a balcony than listen to that boring ****e:suicide: :suicide:

Keane also get my goat too what girlie boring drivel that is, maybe if they just went and got a guitarist might make them a little more interesting, not alot but a little:devil:

Regards

Gary

7. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I agree Definately Maybe is a classic but Morning Glory seems to be the one everyone thinks of when you mention Oasis. I suppose because it's got 2 or 3 big hits on it. Don't get me wrong it's a good album, just not a patch on its predecesor.

Oddly I have started recentely started to listening to Standing on the Shoulders of Giants a bit and quite enjoying it. Must be something wrong with me.

I don't think you can say any Keane album is overrated as surely everyone knows they are the most dull, boring, monotonous, repetetive, samey, tedious, dreary, mind-numbing, soporific bunch of whiny, moaning shoe starers ever right. I mean we all know that don't we?

8. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228

Revesey

To each his own :eek: :eek:

The White Album is my all time favorite of all time

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    PMC

10. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    It all depends on what you mean by over-rated. Everyone is different and have their own tastes.

Also people's tastes change. I used to like the Clash and Queen, can't listen to them now.

Most of these polls are there to shift product one way or another and they trot out the same stuff time after time. I never watch tehse prog's myself. Has anyone seen Time Trumpet......:rotfl:

A lot of these "Top 100" or "Best Of's" are "The top 100 of this list of 250" or "The Best of what clips we could licence"

People like to read/hear good reviews of things that they already own.......

11. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Well I didn't mean get rid of the tracks that Paul even played on :)

He has some good tracks in there and I must admit I didn't know Helter Skelter was his. What you do get rid is crap like Honey Pie, Rocky Raccoon and Ob-la-di Ob-la-da

I suppose The Frog Chorus has made me biased :D

12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    PMC

Well Rocky Raccoon is quite good I'd say :thumbsup: It even has Yoko on backing vocs

If you listen to the version of Helter Skelter on the Anthology CD or any of the bootlegs available, it started ot as a slow heavy track before growing into what is on the White Album