Over-used dvd cover cliches

S

spicymackerel

If I see any more variations on "two thumbs up" ie- " a huge thumbs up " "a tremendous thumbs up" " a very definite thumbs up ". - then I am going to stop buying dvds.

I have over twenty dvds with some variance of this cliche from some or other publication on them. You would think manufacturers - or editors - would notice that this form of praise is becoming a tad over-used. Now when I see this I automatically start to think the film must be crap.

Any other cover cliches that drive you nuts ?

It depends on whom the quote is from as every film seems to carryy a positive quote from someone. When the only positive words have been quoted from the film critic of the Harrogate Chronicle, I start to worry

At least with a DVD cover you don't have to read the quotes but when the film is advertised on the TV, you have no option but to listen and the fellow with the deep gravelly voice has been using the same cliches since time time began.

I'd prefer to have non!! make the cover look soooo tacky!! especially when a R2 version has quotes from the Sun or Mirror Yikes!!!

some along the lines of "Thriller" , "Action packed" or " Scariest movie you'll this year...or Blah Blah Blah you'll see this year"

HI,

Whilst not quite on the same topic, this is one thing that really annoys me:

Any film being advertised (be it on TV or radio) whereby they get poor saps from an (alleged) screening of the film recommending people to go see it! It smacks of desperation and is truly sad! Not to mention the fact, that ANY film that has to resort to getting members of the public to say "Oh, it was the funniest film I've ever seen." or "I was scared throughout! Really shocking film" is just talking balls!

How gullible do these advertising execs think we really are. Case in point, the current release of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (or whatever the hell it's called). It looks okay, but after all the adverts for it on TV amd radio, I think I'm going to wait until its on TV or video/DVD, before I see it!

Pooch

What about Blockbusters TV advert for Blade II. "Take home the Terrifying Blade II":eek: Whats that all about it's funny and violent but wheres the terror :confused: the only terrifying moment is how bad some of the CGI is in the Ninja fight scene.

Originally posted by PoochJD
Case in point, the current release of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (or whatever the hell it's called). It looks okay, but after all the adverts for it on TV amd radio, I think I'm going to wait until its on TV or video/DVD, before I see it!

The Radio 5 reviewer said that it was one of the worst films that he's seen for a long time.

But he hadn't been to the cinema since before talkies were invented.

The two worst and most meaningless pairs of words you'll ever see on a DVD cover:

'Special Edition'
'Collector's Edition'

As if they're ever going to put:

'Crap Version' or 'Bin It Once You've Watched It' - although in a lot of cases BOTH those phrases would be applicable.

Special Features - Scene Access

Interactive Menu Menus.

Special Features

Dolby 2.0 Dolby 5.1 etc.

Dont you think it would be a rubbish film without sound? Lol.

"Hip and Sexy"
"Hip and Scary"

:mad: I CAN'T STAND IT!

every time i see a terrible film with a good comment.......i cant help but think there are backhanders going on........

ad

i got dragged along to see big fat muntas greek wedding

i enjoyed it good film

Harry Knowles

Can I officially change his name to Harry Knows Less???

Also I saw Throw Momma from the Trains Biggest Bad assed Greek Wedding and thought. Ah a womans movie which was quite funny, I assume it is hilarious to Greeks. When I got back from my holidays where I had seen it, I could not believe what all the fuss was about. It had no stand out scenes like American Pie that people would or should be talking about for months, just funny ha ha. You dig???

Lol.

Originally posted by Ripco

I saw Throw Momma from the Trains Biggest Bad assed Greek Wedding
Oi Ripco! I hope you aren't slagging off Throw Mama from the Train?:mad: That movie is a classic!:cool:

It was the first name that sprung to mind. That creepy man/woman thing from the Goonies EWWWW!

Did for ......... What Phsyco did for showers!!! Fill in gap for endless movie cliches. Two recent ones Photos and Bathtubs (One Hr Photo and What Lies B)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom