Over the Hedge

electrolyte

Photo of me trimming back a hedge in my back garden. Not sure about "Over the Edge" but I am certainly "Over the hedge"....

I took the shot in RAW, HDR'd the RAW in Photomatix Pro. Thought it looked a little dull so used conceptDawg 's Fake LOMO script to make it look a bit more funky. I though that the script made the image too saturated so I then reduced the saturation slightly.

EXIF is:

Shutter - 1/25s
Aperture - f/13.0
ISO - 100
Camera - Canon 350D
Lens - 18-55 USM Kit
Focal length - 18mm
Date taken - 21/04/07
Time - 11:43

Exif has become lost so I will email original to Zone.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Nice shot - I quite like the processing too.

I'm not entirely sure about the composition - must have been difficult to think about this while running up and down the ladder! It just looks a little awkward, which i'm sure it was.

It's a strong image - not bang on theme, but sure to attact some votes. :smashin:

macker2006

Cool effects :thumbsup:

This would actually make sense in Stoke as we dont use 'H's if they are at the start of the word, so this really would be "over the 'edge" !:D

hongkonguk

Novice Member
I like it. Thought of doing something similar. Except I butchered my hedge last summer! I like using that lomo script too. I have used it on a couple of mine as well.

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Your photography skills are far better than your hedge trimming skills Simon.
Have visions of you setting the timer and climbing up and down the step ladder until you got it right, well worth the effort:smashin:

V

vulkan75

Hi mate,I like the play on words:D

I quite like the image, the redness of your face seems to indicate your "over the edge" of your comfort zone.It must have been some job to run up and down that ladder and cut the hedge by hand,especially with the recent weather.:eek:

The perspective makes me keep looking at your trainers though:rolleyes: .

nice one si:smashin:

electrolyte

Thanks for the nice comments guys :smashin:

You want to get yourself one of those electric hedge trimmers Si :smashin:
Yep, I certainly do. I was only pretending to cut the hedge in the photo. I have a trip planned to B&Q at the weekend to buy one of those electric things.

:D

Great shot Electrolyte, really love the processing and the effect that the script has had, will have to look into that :rolleyes:
At least this won't cost you a penny unlike the last thing I helped you to find out about ;) :D

Nice shot - I quite like the processing too.

I'm not entirely sure about the composition - must have been difficult to think about this while running up and down the ladder! It just looks a little awkward, which i'm sure it was.
Thanks mate. I have to agree with you about the composition, I'm not overly happy with it either. My plan was to stand on the ladder on the other side of the hedge so that only my head, arms and the cutters would be seen over the top of the hedge. Unfortunately the hedge is too big - think someone needs to trim it :rolleyes: - so this was about the best I could do.

Your photography skills are far better than your hedge trimming skills Simon.
Have visions of you setting the timer and climbing up and down the step ladder until you got it right, well worth the effort:smashin:
Yes, my photography skills are better but it's not difficult! Gardening is not a great skill of mine. And yes, I did use the timer but I used the cable release to set the timer off which bought me a second or two more time to clamber up the ladder. Only did it a few times then gave up as it was a real faff.

I quite like the image, the redness of your face seems to indicate your "over the edge" of your comfort zone.It must have been some job to run up and down that ladder and cut the hedge by hand,especially with the recent weather.:eek:

The perspective makes me keep looking at your trainers though:rolleyes:
You're right about my comfort zone. The ladder was pretty wobbly and I was worried about falling over the edge of the top rung!

SweetGirl

Novice Member
Hey - you don't look too happy cutting that hedge.....:D not sure if you know but your suppose to use an electric trimmer....those scissors went out in the 80's...

Anyway, as usual your end result is alway great...

electrolyte

Hey - you don't look too happy cutting that hedge.....:D not sure if you know but your suppose to use an electric trimmer....those scissors went out in the 80's...

Anyway, as usual your end result is alway great...
Thanks SG. Yes, I know I'm supposed to use the electric trimmer. I have never trimmed my hedges so I was only pretending to trim in that shot.

The reason why I wasn't looking happy was because I was worried about falling off and getting increasingly annoyed that the shot wasn't working out how I wanted. Plus the angle of the camera on the tripod meant that it was impossible to see the screen. This meant that I had to move the camera each time I wanted to see what the shot looked like. Which of course meant that each shot was a best guess and most didn't work out how I wanted:mad:

So yes, my red face reflected how I felt!

T0MAT01

Novice Member
Thanks SG. Yes, I know I'm supposed to use the electric trimmer. I have never trimmed my hedges so I was only pretending to trim in that shot.

The reason why I wasn't looking happy was because I was worried about falling off and getting increasingly annoyed that the shot wasn't working out how I wanted. Plus the angle of the camera on the tripod meant that it was impossible to see the screen. This meant that I had to move the camera each time I wanted to see what the shot looked like. Which of course meant that each shot was a best guess and most didn't work out how I wanted:mad:

So yes, my red face reflected how I felt!
I think it was worth it Si, and I'm sure it'll be one of them photos you remember taking for a long time!!

The PP really adds to this one, and that's not something I find myself saying very often. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom