Over the Edge at Nant y Moch

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took Liquid Jr and The Pregnant One to Nant y Moch today - really dramatic landscape, a rather dull dam, and a big reservoir. I was just about to tuck into a cheese and ham sarnie when I spotted these fellas on the rocks above the water. I grabbed my camera just idly making photographs when the drama started unfolding in front me. A lamb had become seperated from its mother while foraging for grass and found itself trapped. The only way was down over the edge of a rather steep rockface, it lept - I photographed. Luckly it was perfectly fine and found it's way up to it's worried looking mother and off they went. It was only then when I noticed the bodies of the less fortunate in various states of decay...eeewww.

Anyway exif should be embedded but here it is.

Nikon D50
85mm
F5.6
1/800 Sec
ISO 200

Converted to BW in Photoshop for added drama

460254837_017816627f_o.jpg

There are a few more before and after shots on my flickr page

Nice shot mate....Seen this on Flickr too.They are nuts These sheep arnt they.

Right time,Right Place and a great capture.

Love the Mono:smashin:

great shot well captured

Do you just desaturate in Photoshop or is there another way as your bws lately have been stunning

Pete:thumbsup:

Very nice. Glad to hear the lamb made it.......saying that though, I had lamb for dinner today....:oops:

Do you just desaturate in Photoshop or is there another way as your bws lately have been stunning

Just convert to grayscale and a have little fiddle with levels.

Very nice. Glad to hear the lamb made it.......saying that though, I had lamb for dinner today....:oops:

Heh - So did we, in fact we came back, and put a little blighter straight in the oven for supper. I haven't told Liquid Jr that he's been eating baby sheep yet - to him, it's all just 'meat'

An excellent opportunistic shot there Liquid. Superb capture :thumbsup:

That's a cracking shot - really good and with a great emotional "grab" too.

I reckon the B&W is a bit short of what the gurus call "tonal range" - it would look even better with black blacks and whiter whites. Have you tried adjusting the colours prior to doing the desaturation. Makes things look v. wierd as you do it (though you can do it with two layers, adjusting the colours on the "lower" layer) but the results can be v.dramatic with black skies etc. I will do a colour replacement on blue skies for example and make it v.dark black.

Lovely pic though!

This is great, I like the drama and treatment of the shot. Another winning entry? :thumbsup:

I reckon the B&W is a bit short of what the gurus call "tonal range" - it would look even better with black blacks and whiter whites. Have you tried adjusting the colours prior to doing the desaturation. Makes things look v. wierd as you do it (though you can do it with two layers, adjusting the colours on the "lower" layer) but the results can be v.dramatic with black skies etc. I will do a colour replacement on blue skies for example and make it v.dark black.

It was the full tonal range I was aiming for actually. If you check out the histogram for this image it has a lovely smooth range, with no clipped tones. The only black pixels are the ones in the border - which is just the way it should be :lesson: ;)

I tried bringing in the white point a little but found it blew out the detail in the sheeps fleece. I was releuctant to change the contrast curve because I would lose too much detail in the texture of the rockface. I have always been a fan of wide tonal ranges - which I suppose comes from hours spent in the darkroom making split grade prints.

Thanks for the comments though. :smashin:

It was the full tonal range I was aiming for actually. If you check out the histogram for this image it has a lovely smooth range, with no clipped tones. The only black pixels are the ones in the border - which is just the way it should be :lesson: ;)

I tried bringing in the white point a little but found it blew out the detail in the sheeps fleece. I was releuctant to change the contrast curve because I would lose too much detail in the texture of the rockface. I have always been a fan of wide tonal ranges - which I suppose comes from hours spent in the darkroom making split grade prints.

Thanks for the comments though. :smashin:

I've got so much too learn :rolleyes:

:D

Great capture. I love the way the mother is looking anxiously. The fact she's looking in the wrong direction increases the impression of the steepness of the slope. All it needed was a more dramatic sky, but that's tough at the moment. The weather's been far too good of late!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom