Established Member
Reaction score
Date: 15th April 2007
Camera: Canon EOS 30D
Tv: 1/640
Av: 5.6
ISO: 100
FL: 190mm

Slight levels and curves adjustments, followed by unsharp mask in Photoshop.

Image is a link to flickr. This seems to remove the Exif data so I will mail the original file to Zone - how do I find his e-mail address please?

I bought the camera on Thursday so yesterday was its first proper outing for me to have a play with. It is at a place called "Go Ape" where you can spend a fun afternoon climbing around various obstacles that are mounted quite high up in the trees. I have tried to capture the moment of going "over the edge" on a Tarzan Slide.

I'm really enjoying the new hobby and wanting to learn and improve, so any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Keith

I'll pm you ;)

It's a great shot, and you've captured the action well. My only negative would be the slight distraction caused by the trees at the back. A larger aperture would help blur them out, but i'm guessing that you were already at the maximum aperture the lens was capable of.

Another option would have been to stop the lens down, slow the shutter speed and try and capture some movement.

Top quality shot though, and a good entry - look forward to seeing some more. I can see from your flickr that you're not short of nice shots ;)

Zone - Mail sent.

Gizmo - thanks for your comment and letting me know about the Exif at Flickr. I've found the "More Properties" button now!

Liquid101 - thanks again for your comments. You are correct about the max aperture of the lens used (Canon 70-300) at that focal length. It never even crossed my mind to go the other way and try to capture movement. Thanks for the suggestion.

The images currently on my Flickr are somewhat misleading in that they are the pick of the bunch from probably hundreds of photographs taken over a number of years! Hopefully I will be able to increase that ratio in future!

Cheers,

Keith

Great action shot and definately over the edge.I would have liked to see some more height,just to give some depth.

excellent shot:thumbsup:

"Aaaagggghhhhhhh!!!!!" she screamed as she stepped off. Super shot - well done!

Fantastic shot - a great moment!

Regarding the EXIF on Flickr, it does strip out the data, but only from all the resized versions of the image; the one that is the "original size" will still have the EXIF data embedded...

Vulkan75 - I agree that you can't tell how high the slide was from the ground. I did try some shots that gave a better context but these were at the expense of being able to clearly see the expressions on their faces. Perhaps I had gone too wide with these shots? In the end I decided to go for the extra zoom - after all I'd paid for it! ;) Thanks for the comment though, it is certainly teaching me that there is a great deal to think about regarding every image.

Tobers - Thank you. Strangely, she was eerily quiet all the way down!

Regarding the EXIF on Flickr, it does strip out the data, but only from all the resized versions of the image; the one that is the "original size" will still have the EXIF data embedded...

I don't have the "original" available to me in "all sizes". Is this because I am using a free account rather than a pro one do you think? I will upgrade at some point.

Original received from Keith and exif is :thumbsup:

Nice action shot. I agree with Vulkan, it needs more height to show how "over the edge" they were.

I don't have the "original" available to me in "all sizes". Is this because I am using a free account rather than a pro one do you think?

Yep, that is the reason why you can't see the original. Flickr stores the original but you will only see it once you upgrade. It is only about £12 a year and well worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom