Over the Edge and Down . . .

Gizmo 76

Another very tough month in my opinion, struggled to come up with ideas and what i've finished with is hardly creative, and i've tried a few different things this month that didn't really come off as well :rolleyes:

Anyways back to the entry, this was in the Cable type car at Hastings just as it was about to make it's way down...

Over the Edge and Down

Click image for larger version

PP' Work - A 'Photomatix' HDR taken from a single RAW, then in Elements 5, tweaked levels, resized and sharpen...

ISO: 200
Shutter Speed: 1/250
Aperture: f8

I was planning on not doing any HDR type stuff after all i've been doing lately, but today's sunshine was so bright, but also hazy, so in my opinion it really benefited the shot.

Cheers,

Giz

p.s. I'll email you the original in the morning Zone as the Exif info has been stripped when running through 'Photomatix'

V

vulkan75

I like the shot alot,its got a really nice composition and subject matter.Really good sense of scale and height.:thumbsup:

To be picky.......When you HDR you inevitably introduce noise and I think I would have avoided shapening as it adds a bit of noise and makes the rock textures a bit busy.

Maybe mono with a bit of dodge and burn might have looked better.

nice shot though Giz

Gizmo 76

Cheers for the replies all :thumbsup:

I tried out a few different variations thoughout the processing cycle, but I didn't try a mono version, just had a quick go and it does look good. It loses one thing I liked about the shot and that was the rusty rails, for some reason I just like the colour and feel they bring to the shot.

With regard to the sharpening, I find the down-scaling from flickr on Medium shots does pictures no favours, so viewing large is best, also i've always pushed my sharpening a bit :rolleyes: :D

Thanks again for the comments, totally respect and learn from them all :smashin:

Giz.

electrolyte

Nice shot; love the perspective and angle you've taken this at.

I'm not a fan of the HDR treatment though. I feel that I am partly to blame here as I introduced you to HDR. But I feel that HDR only works well when there is strong contrast between light and shadow and mainly works best when you want to expose a sky and a ground perfectly at the same time.

All it seems to have done here is turn your photo into more of a painting which doesn't work IMO. But still a striking image.

Gizmo 76

Nice shot; love the perspective and angle you've taken this at.

I'm not a fan of the HDR treatment though. I feel that I am partly to blame here as I introduced you to HDR. But I feel that HDR only works well when there is strong contrast between light and shadow and mainly works best when you want to expose a sky and a ground perfectly at the same time.

All it seems to have done here is turn your photo into more of a painting which doesn't work IMO. But still a striking image.

Cheers Electrolyte :thumbsup:

Main reason I HDR'd this was because the area down the bottom was blown out in alot of places and the track detail came to life for me, plus I have become quite addicted to the look of the treatment :rolleyes:

I could of dealt with the blown out area in a diffferent way, I promise won't use HDR next month . . . . honest :D

Thanks again,

Giz.

p.s. I'm actually really glad you introduced me to it all bud, as i'm going to be getting some of my aylesford ones printed and hopefully more
;)

senu

Distinguished Member
I like it .. a lot more creative than you give it credit for but Im uneasy about HDR as it can produce unpredictable results
But the image is very nice.. and very apt for the theme
Well done:smashin:

Zone

Original received with exif intact :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom