1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over my budget but is it justifiable?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by YJ, Jan 4, 2002.

1. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I usually think it bad thing going over my budget (as I need to delay my purchase in order save up more), but is it justifiable?

Let me explain I originally was (still my backup plan) to go for to create a 7.1 set-up with FS2-AV and FS2-A pack (7.2), price ~£900. Then I was thinking (bad habit) after I read some threads in the forum that the Centre channel should be close to full range as possible. So I thought that I investigate ‘what if’ I save a bit and spend a little over a grand.

This opened up a possibility several and the two main contenders that I have to consider are Energy Encore and the M&K K Series.

The Energy Encore seemed to have great consumer reviews from the States. However I want to avoid the satellites going though the sub and so this leads me to the M&K K series.

HCC gave it a great review while also Uncle Eric :cool: and other members on the forum mention good comments on M&K. So I think my preference of the two goes to M&K.

Anyway the family & I need to be convinced and so I’m thinking to arrange a demonstrated with all three to convince the family & myself that these speakers are suitable for us.

I would like to know where to get it demonstrated and what software/DVD movies should I use to test the speaker to see how best the system rocks or fumbles.

Currently I plan to buy the speakers in the spring so if you think it’s a bit early to plan all this let me know.

BTW – Could someone explain me the pricing for M&K as HCC’s review suggest that if bought as package versus individually I save about 40%! I’m sure I’ve miss understood something. :confused:

If it is then I’m thinking of having the K-7’s for the fronts (F/C/R) and substitute the K-4 tri-poles pair with the four K-5’s monopole for surrounds (RR/RCR/LCR/LR). I think it’ll be about £1300, but hey what do I know.

Please fill me in.

Thanks in advance :)

YJ :)

P.S Could someone rate this thread? Thanks again.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nobody goes over budget in home cinema circles - the budgets are revised which is different.

Without a doubt the M & K are a class apart from the flat speakers and no doubt Uncle Eric will confirm that to when he has crawled out of his pit after his excesses of the night before.

There are some cheaper M & K speakers that Eric spoke very highly of recently and these are on my own short list for when my next commission cheque arrives.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If Uncle Eric doesn't spot this thread, send him a PM as his advice on matters M & K is worth having.

Ian

4. Stevemj

Stevemj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YJ, I have been in the same situation as you are in now.
    1st I started of looking at kef eggs, then listed to def tecs which I thought were great ,then listened to K series. They really do sound fantastic.

I decided on the k series with a v125 sub,its a bit big & ugly but I think it makes the system.(still not sure whether the uk price for this sub might of been better spent on a uk made sub). But it sounded good to me.

I am new to hc stuff and have used the info from everyone on this forum and found it very helpful. I was also recommended the encore system by sevenoakes but decided as i have held out for so long that i would go a bit mad.

The price quoted in some magazines for the k series seems incorrect as i was unable to get anywhere near the 1100 quoted. (should be nearer 1900)I think you will find that M&k gear is priced the same everywhere in the uk. It would be great to pay u.s. prices but as ever we live in a country where higher prices can be asked.

I should be getting the gear within the next two weeks and will be happy to give you my thoughts once its up & running. I am going to use the dennon 3802 & am looking at a sony 900 dvd.

Started off at one price point and ended at a much higher one, this hc stuff is quite addictive.:) Now could i stretch to a plasma???