Question Over ears, £50 to £100 max, Sennheiser, Sony or roll the Chinese roulette?

Awesome. Great summary thanks for sharing. Hopefully this honest assessment will help others understand what this sort of money gets you in a set of headphones.

Other than the average sound, which is prob to be expected (you tend to get what you pay for with electronics in general), it looks like a good purchase.

You make an interesting point, and it’s def on my mind, in that I’m quite likely to invest in something better once I understand what I like a little more and that’s hard to do without taking a punt on something as a start.

Thanks again.

Lindy's turned up today. Ordered them Monday so that's pretty good.

Truth is, I have only ever had cheap "come with your phone" ear buds or a pair of wired sennheiser over ears which were about 30 quid ten years ago.

These are way better than all of those and I find with ANC on they are much better. Tried Bluetooth out and working well with Spotify in my phone etc. Love the wireless too, so much better being able to wander about without unplugging etc. Yes they have compromises in certain places but for the money I don't think you can complain.

Can't give you any in depth analysis as it's not my expertise but I'd fail to see how you could find better for £52 delivered. Thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good purchase. I’m still waiting on the JBL’s to arrive due to slower than normal Amazon deliveries, but will be in the same boat as you as I can’t compare what I will hear to a history of other headphones, but will be able to tell you how they feel and sound to me.

Hopefully tomorrow, cheers.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I’d consider the Beyerdynamic Dt770, just over your £100 budget. Never heard them but they get great reviews.

Brief update...

Complete car crash with the seller on Amazon (avoid GAM Global like the plague). After it took them a week to post out, they sent the wrong headphones. I received the cheaper JBL Tune 500 not the Live 500.

Needless to say they are winging their way back for a refund and I’ve ordered the Sony WH-CH700N. Bit more expensive, but after having the time to keep looking they look a good balance of quality and features vs. price.

I’ll let you know..!

I would only purchase headphones from Amazon direct for ease of mind of receiving genuine product

The only exceptions are Amazon store fronts of established UK retailers that have their own website and UK showrooms, some I have met at UK headphones shows, for example hifi headphones or amp3.

Yep. I guess you learn the hard way sometimes 😁

So the Sony’s arrived this evening and first impression.....wow!

Now I caveat that opening statement with I have no real basis for comparison as this is my first set of headphones other than what comes free with phones :) so this is not scientific or particularly well informed.

However, I’m seriously impressed. Set up was super quick and easy, paired instantly and also downloaded Sony’s companion app, which allows some tweaking to suit individual preference as well as remapping the Noise Cancelling button to Alexa which is pretty cool.

Sound out the box was good, I could have happily listened like that no problems, but once I delved int the app it was clear the tweaking can really make these headphones come alive. I have settled, for now, on the “excited” sound profile which just lifts everything, without sacrificing bass.

Granted I’ve ended up paying more than when first looking, but I’m very happy with these headphones.

Happy to give any, unscientific, feedback or answer questions if anyone has them.

Right, let’s get back to some more ACDC 🤪

Also a question for the experts. I’ve read a little about needing to break headphones in. Is this true, what benefit does it bring and if so how would one go about it? Thanks.

Also a question for the experts. I’ve read a little about needing to break headphones in. Is this true, what benefit does it bring and if so how would one go about it?

Personally, I think it's a myth where headphones are concerned and anyone that hears any difference is just experiencing expectation bias.

Brain burn in :D

So the Sony’s arrived this evening and first impression.....wow!

Now I caveat that opening statement with I have no real basis for comparison as this is my first set of headphones other than what comes free with phones :) so this is not scientific or particularly well informed.

However, I’m seriously impressed. Set up was super quick and easy, paired instantly and also downloaded Sony’s companion app, which allows some tweaking to suit individual preference as well as remapping the Noise Cancelling button to Alexa which is pretty cool.

Sound out the box was good, I could have happily listened like that no problems, but once I delved int the app it was clear the tweaking can really make these headphones come alive. I have settled, for now, on the “excited” sound profile which just lifts everything, without sacrificing bass.

Granted I’ve ended up paying more than when first looking, but I’m very happy with these headphones.

Happy to give any, unscientific, feedback or answer questions if anyone has them.

Right, let’s get back to some more ACDC 🤪

Interesting! Quite a switch from the budget pairs you began with.
Does it pair with more than one device? Are the headphones comfortable? What is the mic quality like? How do movies sound?

So I've been using my Taotronics Soundsurge 85 for a few weeks now. Movies and TV series, Skype and Google Hangouts, and traditional calls. Overall, impressed and would recommend them (£40 recently on Amazon).

However, one feature I now know I really need is audio pass through (or playback of mic volume through the earcups). This means you can do calls and hear your own voice - without it, I end up shouting or having to take one ear off which isn't ideal.

Come along the Microsoft Surface Headphones 2. They've out in the UK in the next couple of weeks. They look awesome and seem better suited to the 'working from home but like media consumption too crowd'. They're £216 with student discount (I'm not a student but my kids are!) so not bad pricing for a relatively high end set.

Anyone come across any other good pairs of over ear Bluetooth headphones with audio pass through?

I know, although I got a good deal so feel I got good value for money. I’ve used them lightly for a couple of weeks and still impresssed. Music sounds great to me. Movies have real punch and depth and calls and Zooms I’ve been on have sounded fine and decent feedback from those on the other end.

I can’t say fro definite if they have audio pass through, but it doesn’t sound muffled or like a vacuum if that’s what you’re getting at. I have some in ears from 1More and the sound isolation is so much I can hardly hear my own voice. Quite off putting

Hope that helps. Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom