Over-ear headphone recommendations (£250 budget)

ajh1979

Hi there, after many years i’m looking to upgrade my headphones, I currently have the Goldring DR150s, they’ve served me extremely well, really like their sound but itching for more i suppose.

My budget is around £250 ish, i’ve been reading and watching lots of reviews the last few weeks and I have built up a shortlist, i’d love to go and audition some but at the moment it’s not really possible.

• Philips Fidelio X2HR - £250
  • AKG K712PRO - £195
  • Meze 99 Classics - £250

I’ve ruled out Beyerdynamic’s as I want a detachable cable, I had also ruled out Sennheiser’s (too expensive) but in the last few days i’ve noticed 660s going for £260 on the outlet store, these are very tempting!

I listen to rock/metal/indie/folk but also listen to a lot of synthwave and movie soundtracks. They will be strictly for home use, occasionally be used for gaming.

Most grateful for any advice and other recommendations, it’s proving very difficult to make a decision, cheers! :)

gibbsy

After having my attention drawn to them, along with watching Z's review the Meze 99s look very interesting indeed. They may turn out to be a better all-rounder than the AKGs. I think @lltfdaniel owns they and is very enthusiastic about them. Z thinks that they are among the best $300 headphones he's sampled. So right in your ball park.

Deaf Leopard

Standard Member
I know you've mentioned a detachable cable but given the type for music you listen to have you considered a pair of Grados? I have a pair of Grados SR325 for home listening?
Just an option especially if your looking for good value.

ajh1979

After having my attention drawn to them, along with watching Z's review the Meze 99s look very interesting indeed. They may turn out to be a better all-rounder than the AKGs. I think @lltfdaniel owns they and is very enthusiastic about them. Z thinks that they are among the best $300 headphones he's sampled. So right in your ball park.
The Meze's look great and i nearly ordered them but then i started reading about the new pads that apparently have altered the sound in a bad way?

I know you've mentioned a detachable cable but given the type for music you listen to have you considered a pair of Grados? I have a pair of Grados SR325 for home listening?
Just an option especially if your looking for good value.
To be honest i've not looked into Grados so thanks for mentioning them, i'll do some reading on them.

Any thoughts on the Sennheiser 660s? especially if i can get them at that price.

Thanks again :smashin:

gibbsy

I'd pick the Senns, I almost bought the 800s. Very energetic 'phones, enjoyable. At 150 ohms they'll need a bit of power and a good amp would make sense. They'll be great for rock and metal, pretty good for soundtracks, the open design helping greatly here. May struggle a bit, but only just for folk and accoustic. Something that I prefer with planars, hence my Oppo PM1s, it was 600s that I auditioned, although I bought the Oppos blind. Yes, good 'phones Senns.

I'm still interested in 800s but I think my missus would wrap them round my neck, I already have three pair of 'phones.:)

McCol

If you can get the Senns at £260 on the outlet then I would snap them up.

I paid £400 for my 660's when they came out and I don't regret it, excellent headphones that just sound sublime and are also very comfortable for long sessions.

Deaf Leopard

Standard Member
I've not heard the 660's but i do have a pair of Momentum's which i also use in my home or on the go. I've looked at the 660's and the do rate well and as Gibbsy says they tick alot of the boxes your looking for in terms of music taste.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
As a matter of interest, how loud are the 660's to other people with them being open back? I've read some reviews that suggest they are louder than other open back headphones. For example, are they loud enough to be heard in another room ?

ajh1979

gibbsy

Amps and DACs are a real minefield. I use the DAC onboard my Marantz SACD player so if you have a player or streamer with it's own DAC then that may very well be good enough. The main difference I believe between DACs is the analogue circuit that follows it.

Plenty of amps to suit all pockets from the Arcam rHead at £130 to some silly money. Amp/DAC combinations are plenty and the Chord Mojo £400 is amongst the best. I use a Lehmann Linear that is a mid priced amp at £750.

ajh1979

Sorry i took a while to report back, not been too well with some bug so the new headphones took a back seat.

All better now and loving the 660s, all my sources so far have powered them with ease, even my mobile! Got the above cable coming as well as a headphone stand.

For being refurbished they look brand new :)

IMG_20190318_105629.jpg
IMG_20190318_105847.jpg
IMG_20190328_123006.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom