CPU ratio to 44
CPU ratio set to fixed mode
CPU core voltage to 1.140
nothing else was changed

i have gotten to 4.4 mhz
i have ran aida64 for about 45 mins and all seemed to be OK
no crashers , lock ups , or any-thing's

overclocking.jpg

now looking at the 1st picture and at aida64 ( in blue) it says that the "core voltage" is at 1.152v
but looking at the cpuz ( red n black bottom left in the 1st pic ) it says that the "core voltage" is at 1.138
so is it normal to have different amounts showing ?
but i set the cpu core voltage in the bios to 1.140
MSI_SnapShot.jpg
MSI_SnapShot_00.jpg

also , i think i heard or read that 1.130 is the safe level to be at ,
so have i set the cpu core ratio to high ?
should i change it down to 1.130v
will it make any difference to getting a stable OC putting it at 1.130 ?

all temps were good never went above 66*c for the test which was about 45 mins long

i will run the test again tomorrow for a good few hours , to see if it stable

is there anything else i should be doing to make sure that the PC is stable at this 4.4OC ?

Everything looks to be well within the parameters of your cpu so you could try pushing it further if you wanted. IntelBurnTest is another piece of software that will really stress your cpu and is probably the more popular option.

The general rule of thumb is to stay within or under 1.35v on the cpu voltage, 1.35v is plenty. Just take your time and have a play wiith it, from what you have said it seems you are going about it the right way.

Everything looks to be well within the parameters of your cpu so you could try pushing it further if you wanted. IntelBurnTest is another piece of software that will really stress your cpu and is probably the more popular option.
thanks i will give "intelburntest" a try ,
The general rule of thumb is to stay within or under 1.35v on the cpu voltage, 1.35v is plenty. Just take your time and have a play wiith it, from what you have said it seems you are going about it the right way.
cheers lads , i was thinking i had set it to high ( core voltage)
would i be right in saying , 1.140v is a lot lower than 1.35v? ( just woke up so the numbers ain't working in my head yet ) :confused:

thanks i will give "intelburntest" a try ,

cheers lads , i was thinking i had set it to high ( core voltage)
would i be right in saying , 1.140v is a lot lower than 1.35v? ( just woke up so the numbers ain't working in my head yet ) :confused:
Yes pal, 1.140v is lower than 1.350v. I'd shoot for 4.5GHz, the CPU you have is known for overclocking well.

Last edited:
Yes pal, 1.140v is lower than 1.350v. I'd shoot for 4.5GHz, the CPU you have is known you overclocking well.
cheers , andi
slowly getting my head around this ,
i will try the intelburntest , which i gather i need to run for a few hours ?, then maybe i will try it at 4.5 GHz :smashin:

cheers , andi
slowly getting my head around this ,
i will try the intelburntest , which i gather i need to run for a few hours ?, then maybe i will try it at 4.5 GHz :smashin:
Don't listen to Boltlock, he's a pillock.

I'm joking dude ;)

Intelburntest is great, at default it does 10 loops to stress your CPU, it takes under 10 minutes to complete, choose the second to highest setting before the run. Expect high CPU temps! Don't stop the test anywhere under 90c. :smashin:

Don't listen to Boltlock, he's a pillock.

I'm joking dude ;)

Intelburntest is great, at default it does 10 loops to stress your CPU, it takes under 10 minutes to complete, choose the second to highest setting before the run. Expect high CPU temps! Don't stop the test anywhere under 90c. :smashin:
cheers , just trying to wake up , so i give it a try in an hour so
cheers andi :smashin:

Just as an example. When I was running a custom loop on my 4960X, the voltage was set at 1.4v @4.7 Ghz and it never went over 80C. Make of that what you will. :)

Obviously I wouldn't recommend that if on air!! :eek:

Just to show how temperamental cpu's can be, my second 4960X won't entertain anything over 4.4Ghz regardless of the voltages. :(

Just as an example. When I was running a custom loop on my 4960X, the voltage was set at 1.4v @4.7 Ghz and it never went over 80C. Make of that what you will. :)

Obviously I wouldn't recommend that if on air!! :eek:
i'v got the enermax liqtech 240 and at idle it doesn't go above 39c maybe a little higher while playing games , but this keeps it cool , even with the heating on in the house,

so about to give intelburntest a try , will report back in a bit , if all is well i might push it 4.5 or a bit higher ,
just quick one . what will happen if burntest fails ? will it stop it self , so to not furbar the cpu

i'v got the enermax liqtech 240 and at idle it doesn't go above 39c maybe a little higher while playing games , but this keeps it cool , even with the heating on in the house,

so about to give intelburntest a try , will report back in a bit , if all is well i might push it 4.5 or a bit higher ,
just quick one . what will happen if burntest fails ? will it stop it self , so to not furbar the cpu

Yeah you'll probably get some errors and your pc may reboot/shutdown/blue screen if it needs to. The inbuilt safety features won't allow anything major to go wrong. Good luck. :smashin:

Yeah you'll probably get some errors and your pc may reboot/shutdown if it needs to. The inbuilt safety features won't allow anything major to go wrong. Good luck. :smashin:
which is best to go for ? "stress level" ? standard , high , very high or max , im gathering its the max

which is best to go for ? "stress level" ? standard , high , very high or max , im gathering its the max

Yeah either very high or max will show any weaknesses in your overclock. Keep an eye on the temps and you'll be fine.

Nice one!! :smashin: I think you could get away with a 45 muliplier looking at those temps.

Nice one!! :smashin: I think you could get away with a 45 muliplier looking at those temps.

just on running aida64 it's been on now for an hour 1 and 15 mins @4.5ghz
i ran intelburntest and that passed at 4.5 too
going to give aida an other 15 mins and post results ,
so things are looking good at 4.5ghz

didn't have to change any core voltage either , so that is still at 1.140v

will try a game on bf4 after to see if holds up , as i know that will stress the cpu a bit too .

and still using PC to post this post :smashin:

Last edited:
just on running aida64 it's been on now for an hour 1 and 15 mins @4.5ghz
i ran intelburntest and that passed at 4.5 too
going to give aida an other 15 mins and post results ,
so thinkings are looking at 4.5ghz

didn't have to change any core voltage either , so that is still at 1.140v

will try a game on bf4 after to see if holds up , as i know that will stress the cpu a bit too .

and still using PC to post this post :smashin:

Tbh mate, while you're at it you may as well keep going until it fails and then you'll know the previous setting was the fastest it goes at those volts. You may even have a 4.7+ capable cpu.

Tbh mate, while you're at it you may as well keep going until it fails and then you'll know the previous setting was the fastest it goes at those volts. You may even have a 4.7+ capable cpu.
i might do that , boltlock :smashin:
but i'm off to work in a few hours so don't have time to sit an keep an eye on it , but i could do it tomorrow as i'm off.

4.5ghz looking good :smashin:
overclocking 4.5.jpg
p.jpg

Last edited:
Spend some more time on this morning ,
play around with it @4.7ghz , all went well , ran intelburntest and passed and ran aida64 for an hour , no crashers or lock ups ( would you call that stable ?) i could of left aida running a lot longer ,but wanted to try 4.8ghz

CPU ratio to 4.7ghz
CPU core voltage set to 1.250
fans all at half speed ,
overclock 4.7.jpg
but the temps on intelburntest , started to scare me, there were at low 90's with one core touching
96c :eek:

tried an hour on bf4 and that went well too, with temps only touching low 60's
and also tried "sony's movie studio 13" and rendered a vid of about 5gb, @60fps in about 20 mins ,
not going to say it was quicker than any other renders i have done as i haven't got any times to compare too.

Tried 4.8ghz with core voltage 1.250v and 1.275v but wouldn't boot ,
so bumped up the voltage to 1.300v and would boot fine , but after running aida64 for just over 25mins it crashed and got the blue screen , :thumbsdow , haha i was just about to take a screen shot too
i guess i could bump up the voltage to 3.5 , but there's really no need to knack the pc , just to see how far i can push it .

i have dropped it back down to 4.4ghz at 1.140v , as i don't really need the pc running 4.7ghz , but it was nice to play around these over-clock's to see what the i5 4690k and msi z97m would take

on a whole not bad , considering this is 1st PC i have ever built.

thanks to the two lads @boltlock and @andiuk007
for the helping me trying out this little test .:thumbsup:

Last edited:
play around with it @4.7ghz , all went well , ran intelburntest and passed and ran aida64 for an hour , no crashers or lock ups ( would you call that stable ?) i could of left aida running a lot longer ,but wanted to try 4.8ghz

CPU ratio to 4.7ghz
fans all at half speed ,
View attachment 574983
but the temps on intelburntest , started to scare me, there were at low 90's with one core touching

and also tried "sony's movie studio 13" and rendered a vid of about 5gb, @60fps in about 20 mins ,
not going to say it was quicker than any other renders i have done as i haven't got any times to compare too.

so bumped up the voltage to 1.300v and would boot fine , but after running aida64 for just over 25mins it crashed and got the blue screen , :thumbsdow , haha i was just about to take a screen shot too
i guess i could bump up the voltage to 3.5 , but there's really no need to knack the pc , just to see how far i can push it .

i have dropped it back down to 4.4ghz at 1.140v , as i don't really need the pc running 4.7ghz , but it was nice to play around these over-clock's to see what the i5 4690k and msi z97m would take

If you can get a rock solid OC of 4.6GHz @ 1.25v I would leave it at that, looks like you have a decent CPU!

CPU ratio to 4.7ghz
fans all at half speed ,
View attachment 574983

Well done and welcome to the crazy world of overclocking lol. :smashin: It looks like you have a good chip there mate but as you say, not worth running it at insane speeds if you don't need to, but at least you know you can push it if needed.

If you can get a rock solid OC of 4.6GHz @ 1.25v I would leave it at that, looks like you have a decent CPU!
looks like you have posted within my post ,andiuk ;)
i keep thinking i should go for some where in the middle 4.6 , but seen as im only playing a few games , and thee odd video rendering, just seems a bit of a waste having the pc running a little higher than needed , or drawing more power than needed .
but it's nice to know that if i need to turn things up a little , then at least i know i can .

Well done and welcome to the crazy world of overclocking lol. :smashin: It looks like you have a good chip there mate but as you say, not worth running it at insane speeds if you don't need to, but at least you know you can push it if needed.
agreed , no point having it running high , but you say , it's nice to know the PC can take it , if needs be .

looks like you have posted within my post ,andiuk ;)
i keep thinking i should go for some where in the middle 4.6 , but seen as im only playing a few games , and thee odd video rendering, just seems a bit of a waste having the pc running a little higher than needed , or drawing more power than needed .
but it's nice to know that if i need to turn things up a little , then at least i know i can .
Yeah I messed the reply up o_O

Games like grid autosport and such that are CPU intensive do benefit from the extra speed.

Make a couple of OC'd profiles in your bios so you can swap an the click of a button :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom