Over Air Software Download Help

percy_12

Standard Member
Hi - I'm new to the forum.

What exactly does the Over Air Software Download do?

I've installed the HD box myself, upgrading my existing Sky+ set-up, and THOUGHT I had performed the download during the installation. However, after reading some other threads I now am not too sure if the download actually worked (I didn't get any flashing lights - and the box just turned on!!)

How would I know if the download had worked - and what would happen if it hadn't worked?

The only problem I have encountered is that my Magic eye in the bedroom no longer works! Even after checking the RF power output is ON!

magoo1

Ok - you need to tell us what software level your box is currently at..
please post the current version number and software levels . you can find them by pressing services/system set-up/system details. then we can tell you whether the box updated or not

percy_12

Standard Member
Hi - thanks for your quick reply

My current software version is HD3.10q.
Version number 4E3006.
Operationg system version 1.32A09

Is this all you needed?

magoo1

Your software download was successful - you have the latest version that is available by forced download. There is a more recent version which includes the Sky anytime software but Sky are still in the process of rolling it out. Your box may update itself over the next few weeks - when it does you will find that the sky guide has changed and the HD channels option has changed from the red button to option 2.
Only when sky have decided the new software is stable will it become available for forced download so there's not much else you can do right now except sit back and enjoy!

percy_12

Standard Member
Cheers :)

Only other problem I'm having now is the Magic eye in the bedroom no longer controls the Sky box!?! The red light is on at the back of the TV link, and the programes are visable, but the HD remote doesn't work with it!!
TV Link worked fine 30 mins earlier with the Sky+ box - but since had HD installed it's been a no go!?!

Anyone got any ideas with this?

:D

magoo1

I'm not a magic eye user so I've ignored all the previous threads about this but I believe there are some issues with it. Do a search on the forum for magic eye and see what comes up

H

hants_1

Hi

You need to go into the hidden set-up menu and turn the RF output from the box on. Cant remember the exact sequence but it was with the magic eye instructions.......sure if you do a quick search on the forums or web you will find the instructions if you have lost the originals..

hope this helps...

tonkie

Hi

You need to go into the hidden set-up menu and turn the RF output from the box on. Cant remember the exact sequence but it was with the magic eye instructions.......sure if you do a quick search on the forums or web you will find the instructions if you have lost the originals..

hope this helps...

Press services then 4,0,1 quickly then press select, then scroll to FR outlet and turn on make sure you change settings.

percy_12

Standard Member
Hi all - thanks for your replies! I still am no clearer with the Magic eye problem!!! I've swapped back to my old Sky+ box (as the Mrs wanted to finish watching previous episodes of Desperate Housewifes which had been recorded onto the HDD)! On this box the eye works perfectly in the spare room, but with the HD box there was no response!

I've checked the RF output is switched on in the Services - RF Outlets menu - (services 4,select,0,1,select,4) and the settings are EXACTLY the same for the two boxes!!!

Do the sky+ remote and the HD remote work via different IR signals? would this effect the TV Link??

I'm well confused why it won't work with the HD box, and it's causing some probs with the Mrs, as she wants to be able to control Sky from the bedroom!! & she cant see all what all the fuss is about HD in the first place!! :eek: Women lol !!!

Are there any other options available to control Sky in a separate room? Also does anyone currently have a magic eye that works ok with Sky Hd?

Cheers all

Adam

H

hants_1

Also does anyone currently have a magic eye that works ok with Sky Hd?

Mine now works with HD after changing the settings, but as you pointed out these are on, so may be a problem with the box, have you double checked which output you have connected to, just in case?

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
I've checked the RF output is switched on in the Services - RF Outlets menu - (services 4,select,0,1,select,4) and the settings are EXACTLY the same for the two boxes!!!

From reading that it doesn't sound like you've got into the hidden engineer menu.

You need to press "services, 4, 0, 1, select" in that exact order, once into the menu select option 4 and then turn on RF outlet power suply and save the settings also depending what RF channel your old Sky+ box was using you made need to retune your tv thats in the other room ?

Your old Sky+ remote should work the SkyHD box.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
By the way, you haven't got the latest software, despite the erroneous reply earlier. Latest sfotware version is 5.02.fHD, OS Version: 1.32A0B.

If you had bothered to read magoo1's reply you would see that he said that it was the latest version of the software you could get from a forced download :rolleyes:

percy_12

Standard Member
I've defo got into the right RF Output menu!

I've had a good look through this forum for similar probems but no solutions seem to work!!! Defo not a problem with the TV Link as it's working fine with the Sky+ box - but not with the HD box!!! Also my Sky+ remote defo doesn't work with the HD box - either directly or via the TV Link!!!

Are there different IR channels the remotes/boxes can use? I dont really know much about this - so am taking an UNeducated guess :D lol

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
One other thing and please don't take offence if it seems like a daft question :D

You have deffinately used the 2nd RF output and not the 1st ? See told ya it was a daft question.

percy_12

Standard Member
Yeah - unfortunately I'm pretty sure!!! I hoped it was something stoopid that I'd done wrong!!! :(

Out of interest - are there any other alternatives to the TV Link which would enable me to use the Sky remote to change channels from a different room?

Thanks

:)

CARLOS

Distinguished Member

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Just noticed this on Play, maybe what your looking for ?

That's just a standard TV Link made by a different company and won't solve the OPs problem.
I suspect there is a fault in his Sky HD box.

percy_12

Standard Member
Hi - just thought I'd update everyone re: my probs with HD and tvLink!!!

After much forum searching, someone mentioned probs with tvLinks when using long lenghts of extension ariel!
My current set-up involved extending the ariel round 3 walls in the bedroom, to connect the TV to the wall socket!!! As I'm not very in the know re this sort of thing I'm currently using an extremely long length of CHEAP bog-standard ariel wire!
As a last ditch attempt I have moved the TV across our room, so I can bypass the extension cable, and the tvLink is working a treat now!!!

Good news, as I was on the verge of cancelling the HD subscription!! (not happy after watching the Masters Golf!?!?!? - quality stuff)
The Mrs is also pleased now as she can fast forward the breaks in Desperate Housewives!

Not sure why my old set-up worked with Sky+ but not with the HD box though!

Think i'll go shopping for some good quality ariel cable tmrw!!! Something "shielded" is good apparently!? Hope my local techie shop can help explain it for me!!!

Thanks for everyones help in this matter.

Adam

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022