Over 70s not going out for 4 months

Kathcymraeg

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all
This is my first post hope I have posted in the right section.
Regarding the Government's plan request over 70s to stay at home for 4 months and not go out
I understand that this virus is not airborne so if that is the case eg. if myself and my husband decide to do online shopping not going in to any shops or handling money etc making a few sandwiches of our own in the house not going into any cafes to eat, pop out in the car for run maybe a little walk where there are no people and sitting in the car to eat our sandwiches then back home so having had no contact or near anyone at all just us two doing our own thing ....can't see why you would not be allowed out for 4 months if that's what they intend unless as I I said in the beginning whether this virus is airborne which at present they are saying it is not.
So what do others think regarding this?
Thanks

Hello all
Regarding the Government's plan request over 70s to stay at home for 4 months and not go out
I understand that this virus is not airborne so if that is the case eg. if myself and my husband decide to do online shopping not going in to any shops or handling money etc making a few sandwiches of our own in the house not going into any cafes to eat, pop out in the car for run maybe a little walk where there are no people and sitting in the car to eat our sandwiches then back home so having had no contact or near anyone at all just us two doing our own thing ....can't see why you would not be allowed out for 4 months if that's what they intend unless as I I said in the beginning whether this virus is airborne which at present they are saying it is not.
Thanks

It's not airborne in that it doesn't float around like pollen. But the cough/sneeze droplets are airborne, so can u guarantee someone infected won't cough/sneeze near you? Nope

Hello all
Thanks
The virus isn't airborne but it can travel in the air if someone closeby coughs or sneezes.
The government advice is that a minimum 2m seperation distance between you and others is safe if you aren't in an at risk category.
I doubt that distance is adequate and personally I'd be looking for nearer 10m.

But if you are, as you say, not going near anyone and don't touch anything you'd probably be OK from what is known so far about the virus. But only if no one has been where you are going. I'm not clear how long the nasties in the coughs and sneezes can hang around in the air before they dissipate/fall to the ground. I've read the virus can survive for up to three days on plastic but much less on other surfaces.
It's not airborne in that it doesn't float around like pollen. But the cough/sneeze droplets are airborne, so can u guarantee someone infected won't cough/sneeze near you? Nope
Exactly. I got a nasty flu one time from some pillock in a supermarket who made a beeline for some items on the shelf I was getting stuff from and when they arrived coughed straight into my face from a foot or two away. Too many selfish idiots around with no thought for others.

Last edited:
Some people over 70 might be OK to stay at home for 4 months and not go out, but most people of that age have lots of experience of life.

Depends on how timid they are, I suppose.

Regarding the missus and I, and the folks we know, that is not going to happen.

Hello all
Thanks
Sounds good to me, dependent on what the government actually propose of course.
It’s exactly what we intend to do. It’s not entirely risk free, but staying at home for 4 months has its own mental health risks, so it’s finding a sensible balance imho. Very strict social distancing is my way of thinking at the moment. When it happens, a drive to a quiet countryside location once a week would lift the mood considerably. A spell of decent weather would be good too.

I hope the measures when they are announced will have lots of detail and answer most questions.
One that I have, given the panic buying at the moment, is about delivery slots for online shopping. Sainsbury’s, for example, have none available here. That’s worrying and needs sorting out.

I just wanted to say that it is not yet Government policy for the over 70s to stay at home. It might come, probably, but not yet.

It will be up to the government to ensure this is communicated efficiently for those people this will affect to understand.

There are many elderly people already isolated, and it is important they are able to understand this doesn't mean being quarantined in their homes.

We have an elderly chap next door, and I can just pop to the door and explain to him if he doesn't realise what's happening. As I'm sure others can do with elderly neighbours etc. But not all our elderly will have people who can assist them.

Sounds good to me, dependent on what the government actually propose of course.
It’s exactly what we intend to do. It’s not entirely risk free, but staying at home for 4 months has its own mental health risks, so it’s finding a sensible balance imho. Very strict social distancing is my way of thinking at the moment. When it happens, a drive to a quiet countryside location once a week would lift the mood considerably. A spell of decent weather would be good too.

I hope the measures when they are announced will have lots of detail and answer most questions.
One that I have, given the panic buying at the moment, is about delivery slots for online shopping. Sainsbury’s, for example, have none available here. That’s worrying and needs sorting out.

Keep checking Sainsburys, Fri I was going to book for this Fri as first avail slot, then sat went to do the order and all slots gone for what seems like ever, checked yesterday and several slots for this thu, people might be reserving but not checking out etc

Keep checking Sainsburys, Fri I was going to book for this Fri as first avail slot, then sat went to do the order and all slots gone for what seems like ever, checked yesterday and several slots for this thu, people might be reserving but not checking out etc
Panic buying shopping delivery slots....;)

Well I'm waiting for the thu delivery and them turning up half empty :D

Maybe I'll get salad leaves as a replacement for toilet roll (which we're getting low on...)

I‘ve given up with Sainsbury’s. Still no slots and our local store was like the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse this morning. No fresh meat, bread, pasta, canned veg, pet food, Coca Cola or loo roll obviously. It’s very odd what people panic buy imo.

As soon as I got back I booked a recurring weekly slot with Asda. First delivery isn’t for two weeks, but that’s fine. At least we are guaranteed something even if there are lots of things they haven’t got.
Our local farm shop has all the usual essentials like milk, so, touch wood, we are sorted. No more mixing with infected crowds in store hopefully.

I can’t describe how much that simple step has lifted the gloom that had descended over me. Things are no better, but somehow it feels better, much better. I’ll take that for now.:)

I‘ve given up with Sainsbury’s. Still no slots and our local store was like the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse this morning. No fresh meat, bread, pasta, canned veg, pet food, Coca Cola or loo roll obviously. It’s very odd what people panic buy imo.
My order scheduled for delivery tomorrow is showing canned veg (peas, beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn), tomato puree, passata, fresh chicken, fresh pizza, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, flour, sugar, frozen Quorn, frozen chips, kitchen cleaning cloths out of stock.

So far unaffected wine, butter, cheese, tinned soup, curry sauces, macaroni, frozen veg, frozen chicken, and frozen pizza. I'm guessing peoples shopping for stuff which needs to be kept refrigerated/frozen is being limited by the size of their appliance.

Overheard some workers in Sainsburys today talking about priority opening hours starting next week for the elderly/vulnerable

Mel and Max

Going for a walk is very dependent on where you live. @simonliu79 lives in London and that place must be one of worse to live in during an epidemic and in that case perhaps a brief walk would be questionable for the elderly.

The OP lives in Wales, like I do, it's easy to drive 20 minutes and no see a soul on some of the huge beaches or the mountains. I'm not over 70, got just over a year to go but my wife is in the at risk category with heart failure. Exercise and fresh air is very important to her well being and she's work bloody hard at keeping her dickey ticker going. She is very worried about the virus and we have virtually isolated ourselves, except for shopping. I'll rephrase that, except for looking at the empty shelves because all the selfish b******s have been there before us.

It is airborne from what I've read, you can catch if by someone breathing on you.

Dad (86) lives in Galway, Ireland. It's rural enough that he can easily go for walks without really seeing anyone and the supermarket is at the bottom of a hill, about 5 mins drive away. They've also introduced an over 70's hour from 8-9 (although he's not impressed with it being that early) and I've managed to sort him out a delivery slot for Monday. So it could be worse so far.

It is airborne from what I've read, you can catch if by someone breathing on you.

I can assure you it is not airborne and you do not catch it by someone just breathing on you.

Unless when they breathe they're basically coughing and spluttering in your face.

My order scheduled for delivery tomorrow is showing canned veg (peas, beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn), tomato puree, passata, fresh chicken, fresh pizza, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, flour, sugar, frozen Quorn, frozen chips, kitchen cleaning cloths out of stock.

So far unaffected wine, butter, cheese, tinned soup, curry sauces, macaroni, frozen veg, frozen chicken, and frozen pizza. I'm guessing peoples shopping for stuff which needs to be kept refrigerated/frozen is being limited by the size of their appliance.
That out of stock list pretty much reflects what I saw in store.
It has the potential to be as dangerous as the virus if it continues. No idea how you stop it though. Hopefully at some point everyone will have no room for anything else.

I can assure you it is not airborne and you do not catch it by someone just breathing on you.

Unless when they breathe they're basically coughing and spluttering in your face.

I've read if someone is coughing within 3 feet of you its possible to breathe that in and catch it, they don't have to be directly coughing in your face.

Quote below

Keep social distance by avoiding close contact
Stay at least 3 feet away from someone who is sick. The virus can spread through respiratory droplets, which are easy to breathe in if you are close to someone who has the COVID-19 virus and is coughing.

I've read if someone is coughing within 3 feet of you its possible to breathe that in and catch it, they don't have to be directly coughing in your face.

Quote below

Keep social distance by avoiding close contact
Stay at least 3 feet away from someone who is sick. The virus can spread through respiratory droplets, which are easy to breathe in if you are close to someone who has the COVID-19 virus and is coughing.

Ok I see what you were getting at now. But the above doesn't mean that it's classed as airborne. Not from any data scientists have thus far anyway.

Well if I can walk into a space someone has been coughing in a few moments prior and breathe that air in and catch it it sounds pretty airbourne to me, appreciate I'm not a medical expert so may have the terminology wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom