Ovens...

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Ok, so long story short, I just moved into a new house that has a built-in single gas oven. It is rubbish, even though it is Stoves and meant to be a good brand (so I have been told).
I want to replace it with an electric double oven.
I have found one on eBay to tide me over until I can afford a new one, but it is a built-under oven. If the space allows, is there anything preventing me from installing a built-under oven into a space where a built-in oven has just come from?
As far as I can tell, built-under ovens essentially have finished sides, and usually stand on their own feet, whereas, built in ovens use the cupboard/kitchen unit as their finished sides and are fixed to these units. If that makes sense...

Is there anything I am missing?
Is it a bad idea to fit a built-under oven into a built-in oven space?

I am removing a built in oven, and replacing with a built-under, so I won't need anything in addition will I?

Just make sure any ventilation slots it has aren't covered by the existing enclosure (which you may have to remove anyway)

I'll try and take one later when I get home.
It's hard to explain, but I wanted to put the built-under oven in the space the built-in oven came out of.

Just make sure any ventilation slots it has aren't covered by the existing enclosure (which you may have to remove anyway)

Yeah I will look into that.
As it happens, I have this exact same oven in my old house and it is butted up tightly to the cupboards each side. There is space above, below and behind, and I'm hoping it will be the same in my new house, even though it wont be sitting on the floor.

I presume you mean by built in oven is an oven and hob together whereas a built under oven is separate oven and hob hence you may need a new worktop.

Mine looks a bit like this (but no where near as flashy).
http://www.appliancist.com/dacor-wall-oven-do130-built-in-convection-oven.jpg
I have the oven, a drawer underneath for pans etc, a space above with a microwave in.
I want to take out the built in oven (leave the drawer), take out the microwave, and in their place, put a double built-under oven.
Built in double oven would make more sense, but there are none on ebay close to me. :)

Right got it now it's not how I pictured it Do I need a Built In Oven or a Built Under Oven . | eBay Explained here. So if it's that way round it sounds like you will have to remove the housing your existing is in and the new one will come with brackets. Must admit I have never fitted a built under oven hence the confusion :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks also, I now fully understand the difference after seeing your link :thumbsup:

Mine looks a bit like this (but no where near as flashy).
http://www.appliancist.com/dacor-wall-oven-do130-built-in-convection-oven.jpg
I have the oven, a drawer underneath for pans etc, a space above with a microwave in.
I want to take out the built in oven (leave the drawer), take out the microwave, and in their place, put a double built-under oven.
Built in double oven would make more sense, but there are none on ebay close to me. :)
Then I would check the sizes as it looks like they may be different.

Yeah, I was hoping to remove oven and housing, then just slot the built under one in (doesn't need a housing).
Was just hoping to confirm that it is OK to do that, and I hadn't overlooked anything. All providing there is space. From googling though, the difference between built under and built in appears to just be the extra width of the housing, so they should both end up as 600mm.

Indeed I do. The cooker (and extractor) has it's own ring for some reason.

Yes, I was quite surprised to find my latest electric oven cooker had a 13A plug on it, given it has 4 different elements in the oven. They aren't all selectable at the same time mind you :)

A standard double oven is 90 cm tall. A built under double oven is usually 70 cm tall so that it can fit under a counter.

Scrap that idea, it doesn't fit.
Back to the drawing board. However, new ones are cheaper than I originally thought.
One thing I don't get, maybe it's obvious, but the websites don't seem to list the dimensions of the main body of the (built in) cookers that sits inside the unit. It just gives the dimensions of the fascia.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom