OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

majnu

OUYA is a new game console for the TV, powered by Android.

We've packed this little box full of power. Developers will have access to OUYA's open design so they can produce their games for the living room, taking advantage of everything the TV has to offer.

Best of all, OUYA's world-class controller, console, and interface come in one beautiful, inexpensive package. All the games on it will be free, at least to try.

Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0
ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console by OUYA — Kickstarter

Attachments

Last edited:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Is it potential winner or loser ?
A potential winner certainly, in the US at least. In the US it's been confirmed it will have a price of $99 which sounds great value for money.

AFAIA there has been no confirmation of it being released in the UK or even Europe, and personally I doubt we'll see it released this side of the pond this year. Also when it does release that price will likely translate to £99 which would of course be less great.

I'd like to be able to grab one, but not holding my breath.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
It will be £99 here and it's due next month

http://www.denofgeek.com/games/24014/ouya-priced-and-dated-for-uk

Not sure how I feel about this, seems a nice idea but will really need to get done decent games for it, it should do the indie scene some good though. I hope with it using tegra 3 it will work wish splash top and let you run a remote connection to you proper gaming PC, if it can I may be tempted but otherwise I might wait for next years refresh

Discombobulate

Distinguished Member
Just not powerful enough for my liking.

Games of this type work well on handhelds but on your main tv I'm just not sold.

Hope it does well as it's nice for the console makers to get a bit of competition but I can't see it myself.

Just not powerful enough for my liking.

Games of this type work well on handhelds but on your main tv I'm just not sold.

Hope it does well as it's nice for the console makers to get a bit of competition but I can't see it myself.
Agreed 100% these games are suitable for phone/tablet sized devices and the kind of resolutions they allow, when you connect this up to a big screen, the graphics will be absolute turd. This device will sink fast.

Haggler

Maybe it's best to wait for a release and for someone to purchase one of the things before we post predictions, someone who's tested it can bump the thread later?

:)

Then again for daring to attempt to connect to a tv, maybe it deserves a premature bashing in advance...

:rotfl:

Haggler

Unboxing dev version

Performance tests

blah blah........

esc4p3

I'd be up for giving this a try. The key thing for me is getting other Android apps working OK, such as those for catch-up TV. For instance on my HTC One X Android phone, there is no Demand 5 (and it won't work for me on a browser) and no ITV Player (although STV player works). It's an occasional use thing, but just within the price range of 'give it a try'. We'll see :)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
GAME to be stocking the console on Release

GAME To Sell Ouya Console, Pre-Orders Open
A shame our local closed its doors a couple of months ago(and Gamestation before it), would have been up for a bit of "price beat" trading in towards this.

Can buy online of course but that means paying full price and time are tight right now.

Will be interested to see how people get on with it, nice to see GAME are going to be stocking it, that should give the console a boost.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Games also announced this morning they will stock the game stick, seems like they are throwing their weight behind these android consoles, still unsure how they will make money on this but I suppose waterstones sell kindles so there must be a model in place to make money this way. If game had some foresight they could have worked with ouya and game stick to help them develop the online game stores and make some money there

Demon Luci

Distinguished Member
It ticks all the boxes for an impulse buy.

£65 for the console and the games will cost pennies. It also has such a tiny footprint so might as well stick one in beside the PS3 or whatever.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
It ticks all the boxes for an impulse buy.

£65 for the console and the games will cost pennies. It also has such a tiny footprint so might as well stick one in beside the PS3 or whatever.
It's £99 here, £65 is the direct conversion from $99. That said install xbmc and splashtop thd and you could have an interesting little box that's a htpc that can stream your gaming PC in to the living room as well as play the games designed for it. I'll wait and see how it fares when released but if someone makes both of these work it could be a compelling addition for those after a cheap htpc and the gaming community

D

Deleted member 92943

It's a gaming device and in the rise of Apps these days, it's in Games interest to stck it. Saying that, they were going to stock Onlive consoles which never happened

tommyg_

I've backed it on kick starter so awaiting delivery. massive impulse buy but ability to use xmbc on it means it wont be wasted

Demon Luci

Distinguished Member
Emulators alone (MAME, Amiga, Spectrum etc) would make it worthwhile I reckon (with legal ROMs of course).

Also there's plenty of decent little mobile games generally available for pennies that Sony, MS & Ninty seem to be trying to leverage £10ish out of us for.

Demon Luci

Distinguished Member
ShayKaPow said:
Can I use my own Google account and re-download all my purchased games or do I have to use their own store?
I'm 99.999% sure you'll be paying again.

Demon Luci

Distinguished Member
It's a seperate store.