Outstanding MCE/Sky Integration Issues

julianmclean

Here is my list of outstanding issue with my Vista MCE/Sky integration using FloppyDTV. If anyone has ideas on resolution or is not experiencing these issues, please let me know. The lack of sound on music channels is a real annoyance - can someone confirm if this is just an MCE issue - i.e. does it work ok in other front-ends?

Lack of sound on channels:
MTV
MTV Base
MTV Dance
MTV Hits
MTV2
VH1 Classic
TMF

Channels won't decrypt:
Nat Geo

No guide data from XMLTV source:
Chart Show TV
talkSport
theJazz
Virgin Radio
Virgin105.8
XFM
Smooth
Capital
Capital Gold
Classic FM
Classic Gold
Core
Galaxy
Heart

If you have any more confirmed issues, then please post here - now that there is a few of us with the same setup, we should try to keep a snag list going and see if we can tackle any of them.

[Edit] Doh, didn't realise Sky Premiere and Sky Prem+1 only started in the evening. Removed from list.

Whitey1977

The no sound issue on the MTV channels is a MCE issue because the default audio PID is not the english language track for some reason. Other software like DVBViewer does not have a problem with this since you can select which audio PID you want.

I will check if Nat Geo decrypts with my set-up later and report back.

I don't think you're ever likely to see listings for minority channels like you have listed. I'm still hoping that someone will create a grabber for the opentv epg, like what sky use, for windows. I think there is such a thing for the dreambox. This could then be converted to XML or whatever and would have a 7 day listing for every channel on the sky epg

Whitey

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Most of those channels without XMLTV listings don't even appear on the MCE Sky EPG as they are radio stations. When Sky switched to 4 digits for radio stations it didn't work with MCE so the fix by Microsoft was to remove them all from the EPG!

CCWashout

Hi

I have National Geographic and the +1 channel working here through the Floppy DTV. They are good quality too as the native broadcast on those channels is 16:9 aspect and my LCD TV/MCE zoom function doesn't have to stretch the picture, which on other channels gives bad/worse mpg artifacts, but maybe that's a topic for another thread ;)

However, I have found that both those channels can be more temperamental than others when trying to get the FloppyDTV solution to decrypt but I find that going to a Freeview channel like ITV1 or BBCx and then going back to Nat Geo seems to solve the problem.

In fact this happens quite a lot on other Pay channels and the work around I've just describes seems to fix the issue more times than not.

BTW - That has been the case in MCE 2005 and now Vista Ultimate (I took the plunge last weekend and its great so far).

I think someone else noted in the sticky thread that the latest firmware and drivesr for the FloppyDTV seem to give decryption failures and I am also finding this.

I do have a problem with the SKY Sports channels apart from Sky Sports News, which i can't get to decrypt but that maybe down to the channels I have in the EPG not being the correct ones for my subscription (there's 5 duplicates of each iirc).

Anyway sorry for the ramble and I hope that helps you with Nat Geo (+1).

Chris

CCWashout

Quick update:

I was just over on thegreenbutton.com and came across this thread, which may account for the better stability in Vista MCE

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/180832.aspx

Apoligies if I've commited a faux pas pasting a link to another forum in here but that thread has a couple of MS represenatives in it talking directly to the forums (where they are able).

peskywinnets

I'm having a few diffs as follows.

Can't get...

More4 at 474Mhz
More4+1 at 474mhz
Bravo2 at 522mhz
Living at 522mhz
Nick Jr 2 at 530mh
(there may be others but these are the immediate ones I noticed)

These are the only entries I can see in Vista's 'Edit Channels' for these channels?

Next, how do I get rid of Sky Sports 2 (it's in the exclusion list) from my scan! Also there are many entries resulting from the scan that are listed as nothing other than eg (at 546Mhz) or (at 794Mhz) how can I exclude those?!

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
I'm having a few diffs as follows.

Can't get...

More4 at 474Mhz
More4+1 at 474mhz
Bravo2 at 522mhz
Living at 522mhz
Nick Jr 2 at 530mh
(there may be others but these are the immediate ones I noticed)
Those frequencies are the fake DVB-T frequencies. Try looking in the FloppyDTV transponder listing to figure out which transponders they map to & check that is correct.

peskywinnets

Those frequencies are the fake DVB-T frequencies. Try looking in the FloppyDTV transponder listing to figure out which transponders they map to & check that is correct.

Concur...I only posted them to see if anyone else with a working flopdtv setup has those channels working on those faked frequencies.

Could you point me to where the floppydtv transponder listing is?

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Could you point me to where the floppydtv transponder listing is?
It's all documented in the description of how you set up a custom transponder list called a Personal Transponder Configuration. There is a zip file on the digital-everywhere site that contains the documentation in pdf format.

sink

Standard Member
Just set up my new htpc with FloppyDTV and I also don't get sound on all MTV stations except MTV ONE. Also National Geographic, Nat Geo +1 won't decode. Has anyone heard or come up with a solution yet?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom