Outside the Wire (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Still need to watch Extraction. Maybe Today

psikey

Distinguished Member
If there's a single reason why Netflix will never aspire to anything more than a 6, it's that their metrics show that 6 Underground is their most popular product.

It is, unfortunately, Transformers sequels logic, and it's why we're going to get hours of tripe offloaded upon us.

I would like to think that genuine metrics, which compare the number of people who watched the first 3 minutes with the number of people who made it to the last 3 minutes would give a clearer picture.

I'm all for trash, but for the monumental budget of 6 Underground you could make ALL of the following (also original) films:

• Drive
  • A Quiet Place
  • John Wick
  • Leon
  • Parasite
  • Wind River
  • Deadpool

Sure, MCU budgets are crazy, but this is a single, original Bay Netflix movie, not a franchise, not a sequel, not a Bond movie, and not even a superhero flick.

That's pretty insane.
A Netflix show Called Queens Gambit is one of best things I've watched in last 12 months. Just because its Netflix doesn't follow it will be bad.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
A Netflix show Called Queens Gambit is one of best things I've watched in last 12 months. Just because its Netflix doesn't follow it will be bad.
I'm clearly just talking movies. Netflix do excellent TV and have a much higher batting average in that department.

Almost to the point where the logic is reversed.

If it's a Netflix movie, it's more likely VERY average than good.

If it's a Netflix show, it's more likely good than average.

Still excellent value for money, still my favourite streaming provider, just their shotgun approach could be slightly more focussed.

If you could blend Netflix's quantity with Apple's quality you'd just have a whole load of awesomeness every month.

keithwiggins

I'm clearly just talking movies. Netflix do excellent TV and have a much higher batting average in that department.

Almost to the point where the logic is reversed.

If it's a Netflix movie, it's more likely VERY average than good.

If it's a Netflix show, it's more likely good than average.

Still excellent value for money, still my favourite streaming provider, just their shotgun approach could be slightly more focussed.

If you could blend Netflix's quantity with Apple's quality you'd just have a whole load of awesomeness every month.
Kind of agree , but they are a global entertainer and i assume that minds immeasurably superior to mine ( war of worlds) will be constantly crunching data on a massive scale to develop the perfect audience catching metric.
Or it could just be a dope in an office.

keithwiggins

For Queens Gambit was probably the best series i viewed last year. Its not as though i even have an interest in chess, it was just superb, up there with Halt and Catch fire!

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Kind of agree , but they are a global entertainer and i assume that minds immeasurably superior to mine ( war of worlds) will be constantly crunching data on a massive scale to develop the perfect audience catching metric.
Or it could just be a dope in an office.
Damn you! Now I am listening to the WOTW Audiobook for the Umteenth time!

nickj1000

I must be the odd one out, I enjoyed this movie and so did my wife. A 4 is very harsh I think, would give it a 6+ as it held my interest with good acting and effects. The idea that the android could be just like a human is off the wall but that was the whole point I guess. Extraction is another film with mixed reviews, some people very harsh but some liked it, me being one of those

GT One

Having recently watched Outside the Wire I can recommend this Netflix movie as a way to switch off the brain and pass a bit of time if there is nothing else better to do, but as far as action / sci-fi movies go its script is a cut and paste job using parts of numerous other movies featuring AI genre; films, like Robocop, I,Robot, Replicas, The Machine, and sci-fi classics; Ex Machina and of course The Terminator (series) which Outside the Wire's story arc is most related to in my opinion.
This Netflix film is a routine action jaunt for the main star Anthony Mackle who has done this role many times before for Marvel, so maybe Netflix are creating their own series of Marvel like films themselves since Disney+(Marvel) grabbed back their movie content.
The film keeps up a steady pace and the action sequences are state of the art although you need to ignore the occasional credibility issues with some combat sequences (which cant be mentioned or they will become spoilers) bearing in mind the army's state of the art AI technology being used. But Anthony's Captain Leo character is the main focus of the movies attention so that should be expected.
Co star Damson Idris managed a credible US accent but I'm not sure this role will quickly open up his career to more movie parts as there are numbers of similar young male actors reaching our screens recently, we shall wait and see.
My rating for Outside the Wire (which is a terrible title for this type of film) is 7 out of 10. Because I want to see more sci-fi / action films coming from Netflix, they need the encouragement to spend the money.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Yet again, thanks for taking me for the team Tom.
tenor.gif

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom