Outside the Wire (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Ach0w

Standard Member
Probably worth reminding ourselves that just a 2 minute look is considered a ratings view on Netflix.
Does it matter though? You can skip the movie at anytime if it doesn't engage you. The Top ten list is just one means of discovery. What is surfaced may or may not be to your taste.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed it. Not fantastic but ok and entertaining so a good 6 for me. For sure formulaic and a bit woke at times but I ignore that, most of the time. A 6 seems to be the Netflix goal most of the time

Last edited:

keithwiggins

I'm with you on this although I should point out that I am one of those deplorable's who thought Underground 6 was really entertaining
Thats the 2 of us then! My criteria for watching a movie is for entertainment, im not interested in who met up 60 years ago to chew the crud over global policies ( one night in miami i am looking at you) , thats a snooze fest for me. I like a good series dont get me wrong, but sometimes they go on a bit, a film is pretty much a self contained adventure, there is a beginning a middle and an end, if its entertaining ( to me) along the way then thats 1 hour 40minutes well spent

Belzok

I really enjoyed Underground 6 and preferred it to Extraction, although I need to give that another watch to make sure.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
If there's a single reason why Netflix will never aspire to anything more than a 6, it's that their metrics show that 6 Underground is their most popular product.

It is, unfortunately, Transformers sequels logic, and it's why we're going to get hours of tripe offloaded upon us.

I would like to think that genuine metrics, which compare the number of people who watched the first 3 minutes with the number of people who made it to the last 3 minutes would give a clearer picture.

I'm all for trash, but for the monumental budget of 6 Underground you could make ALL of the following (also original) films:

• Drive
  • A Quiet Place
  • John Wick
  • Leon
  • Parasite
  • Wind River
  • Deadpool

Sure, MCU budgets are crazy, but this is a single, original Bay Netflix movie, not a franchise, not a sequel, not a Bond movie, and not even a superhero flick.

That's pretty insane.

ziglar

Despite my comments above I must wholeheartedly agree with Cas; I have never considered how the rating of a particular item may have an impact on future programming decisions although it is pretty obvious that is how it works.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I've watched 6 Underground, Extraction, the Old Guard, Spenser Confidential, etc they're decent action flicks that hit the IMDB 6+ sweet spot that get the play button hit and for the most part, keep you interested enough to watch the full film.

We can cherry pick the best action films of recent times to compare against, but there's also a hell of lot of guff that these Netflix films are better than, although Outside the Wire is one of the weaker ones I've watched recently.

You can also look at the likes of Okja, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Uncut Gems, etc that in my opinion compete with the best meaning the mix of films on Netflix is not always as average as we like to make out. And I've enjoyed many of the lower key films that simply provide a good 2 hour watch of an evening.

I hope 2021 continues to bring a good mix of genres and there's still diamonds to be found amongst them..

Belzok

If there's a single reason why Netflix will never aspire to anything more than a 6, it's that their metrics show that 6 Underground is their most popular product.

It is, unfortunately, Transformers sequels logic, and it's why we're going to get hours of tripe offloaded upon us.

I would like to think that genuine metrics, which compare the number of people who watched the first 3 minutes with the number of people who made it to the last 3 minutes would give a clearer picture.

I'm all for trash, but for the monumental budget of 6 Underground you could make ALL of the following (also original) films:

• Drive
  • A Quiet Place
  • John Wick
  • Leon
  • Parasite
  • Wind River
  • Deadpool

Sure, MCU budgets are crazy, but this is a single, original Bay Netflix movie, not a franchise, not a sequel, not a Bond movie, and not even a superhero flick.

That's pretty insane.
I'm guessing 6 Underground cost so much in part down to the multiple shooting locations, including some cities in Italy which presumably wouldn't be cheap, similar to what a Bond movie would have.

Proper brain out big budget action film, lots of fun.

Couple of the films mentioned above have few actors and are fairly cheap location wise, considered low budget, Leon is also what 25 old.

Wasn't a fan of Drive and didn't like A Quiet Place, Leon of course is utterly superb as was John Wick. Not seen Parasite.

Not overly worried that it cost as I really enjoyed it

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I'm guessing 6 Underground cost so much in part down to the multiple shooting locations, including some cities in Italy which presumably wouldn't be cheap, similar to what a Bond movie would have.

Proper brain out big budget action film, lots of fun.

Couple of the films mentioned above have few actors and are fairly cheap location wise, considered low budget, Leon is also what 25 old.

Wasn't a fan of Drive and didn't like A Quiet Place, Leon of course is utterly superb as was John Wick. Not seen Parasite.

Not overly worried that it cost as I really enjoyed it

I'm not saying swap it for ONE of them, you can have them ALL.

A whole spectrum of quality films for everybody.

Or... 6 Underground.

What the 6 Underground views are cementing to Netflix is the idea that it's better to spend big money on stupid films rather than invest in smaller, better projects.

Belzok

Yes I'm aware of that, and a lot of your list were specifically low budget, not big actioner, with the exception of Deadpool but that was predominantly CGI.

I would like both, big budget and intelligent low budget stuff, hasn't got to be an either or if that's what people watch.

I'm sure Netflix crawl all over the analytics of cost vs views. I watch loads of foreign language content on Netflix, watched Ares the other night, French near future dystopian film which I thoroughly enjoyed and it probably cost a couple of hundred quid to make 😀

Given the last year a bit of escapism is desirable.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
6 underground is one of the worst films ever made. Not just because of how bad it is but also what it represents. Netflix now favours utter sh*t like this and then cancels mindhunter and the OA. Even altered Carbon and Marco Polo were flawed but highly ambitious and tried to create a world and characters. The recent stream of dirge seems like it’s only ramping up and cancelling Netflix was an easy decision.

nickkuk

6 Underground is one of, if not the absolute worst film I've ever seen. I couldn't make it past about half an hour of watching it, I had to turn it off it was such tripe.

AidenL

This movie really was dire.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
6 Underground is one of, if not the absolute worst film I've ever seen. I couldn't make it past about half an hour of watching it, I had to turn it off it was such tripe.

I didn’t make it past 4 minutes. And I like sh*t films normally!

mooperman

Distinguished Member
another in the "6 underground was sh*t" camp... got about 15mins in before it went off... dont get me wrong i grew up on, and love, silly action films... early arnie, van damme, stallone, seagal etc... pick any of those movies from the 80's and i'll likely watch it again (even tango and cash!)... but 6 underground... ugh its like giving a toddler a crate of redbull and a loud speaker.. :D

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
another in the "6 underground was sh*t" camp... got about 15mins in before it went off... dont get me wrong i grew up on, and love, silly action films... early arnie, van damme, stallone, seagal etc... pick any of those movies from the 80's and i'll likely watch it again (even tango and cash!)... but 6 underground... ugh its like giving a toddler a crate of redbull and a loud speaker.. :D

Early Bay was very good. I was still with Michael Bay, despite its excesses and over indulgence, up until probably Bad Boys II. Then, with the Transformers movies, he became like the proverbial kid in the toy shop - except he could have anything he wanted but didn’t know what to buy. And no parents to guide him.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I preferred Spenser Confidential to 6 Underground, the usual Ryan Reynolds banter didn't seem to work for some reason, whereas you know what you get with Mark Wahlberg and he manages to pull it off pretty much every film. I did like some of the action scenes in 6 Underground, they looked great with a sprinkle of creativity, but as I recall, over stylised scenes became tiresome..

ziglar

Netflix is a commercial subscription based entity so I guess they will be driven to a large degree by the ratings that their paying subscribers provide so what should they do if metrics show "6 Underground" to be their most popular product?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Netflix is a commercial subscription based entity so I guess they will be driven to a large degree by the ratings that their paying subscribers provide so what should they do if metrics show "6 Underground" to be their most popular product?

Um... use actual metrics. Like I said, compare the number of people who clicked play with the number of people who made it to the end.

Even a thumbs up can still go as low as a 5, which really is no useful metric whatsoever.

Films have to be insultingly bad to get thumbs down, and the majority of Netflix stuff isn't bad, it's aggressively average. Even so, I bet they favour whatever 6 Underground '6 million people watched the first 3 minutes' stat over any stat surrounding how many people a) turned it off or b) downvoted it.

All I'm suggesting is that they stop shooting for aggressively average as if that's a commendable target you should be hitting with slick $50-150 million productions.

My vote would also be Netflix investing a fraction more money in the editing process, as all of these 'average' films would have been improved by tighter editing. Not perfected, but improved.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
In terms of action movies - and I have inexplicably yet to watch it as I cancelled sub before it came on (but know it is obviously well regarded) - is it fair to say that Extraction is the kind of level that Netflix should aim for more than 6 Underground? In terms of popcorn, blockbuster-y style fare rather than films like Roma and The Irishman. The best of the kind of movie I am talking about I’ve seen from Netflix (although not actually originally produced by them) is Bird Box.

nickkuk

I didn’t make it past 4 minutes. And I like sh*t films normally!

I should have really given 6 Underground 4 minutes before switching it off! I thought I would give it a chance, but after about a half hour series of sped up and super-slo-mo stunts that became tiresome there was a bit of exposition that explained the rest of the plot and by that time the film hadn't given me any reason to care about any of the characters or what happened to them so I gave up.

In terms of action movies - and I have inexplicably yet to watch it as I cancelled sub before it came on (but know it is obviously well regarded) - is it fair to say that Extraction is the kind of level that Netflix should aim for more than 6 Underground? In terms of popcorn, blockbuster-y style fare rather than films like Roma and The Irishman. The best of the kind of movie I am talking about I’ve seen from Netflix (although not actually originally produced by them) is Bird Box.

I did enjoy Extraction, I thought it was well paced and well acted, had good, well shot action sequences and a cohesive storyline to carry the action. Hopefully the sequel will be as good. I read that Netflix will release 70+ films this year, so I guess the quality will be variable with something to please everyone. Hopefully there will be some gems like Okja, Bird Box and Roma among them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021