Outside the Wire (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

MahaRaja

Agree. Had not seen this article when I watched first 15 minutes of this film and decided it wasn’t for me. Netflix is releasing new movies and TV shows like a factory, most are crap.

keithwiggins

Too many people are. It's one of the reasons we keep getting so much mediocrity unfortunately.
i am there to be entertained and thats what it did, not everything can be an oscar winner and most oscar winners are boring as hell.

enigma1701

I just watched it! Decent enough action movie, nothing outstanding but I really don't think anything is awful bad either. I'll use last year's only action movie tenet as a benchmark and this was better. I'll give it a reasonable 5.5/10!

psikey

Distinguished Member
Eg. Someone like Kermode's views compared to general publics views.
So watched and enjoyed. Far fetched for the time period, but entertaining enough. Google reviews at around 66% and about 6/10 for me & wife.

Last edited:

psikey

Distinguished Member
Agree. Had not seen this article when I watched first 15 minutes of this film and decided it wasn’t for me. Netflix is releasing new movies and TV shows like a factory, most are crap.
And yet I think its best value for money media platform. Most content is fine or good with some crap, same as normal TV.

Last edited:

Belzok

It was just about okay, probably a 5.5 out of 10 as I didn't fall asleep.

I did shout at the TV when drone bloke failed to shoot the had guys outside the bank

GT One

On the other hand I worry that Netflix are giving the producers/creatives too much money for these types of film. I think Extraction, good, but could have been better, Bay’s 6 Underground was OK, but not considering how much it cost, now they’ve given $200m to a Russos spy actioner starring Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling.

I think I’d prefer medium/high budgets for actioners, it just forces everything to be a little tighter, and better executed I find. Sci-Fi is a bit different as you need a lot more for the production design and effects.
Interesting comment that probably deserves more examination as most movie goers have become immune to any talk about movie budgets.
As an example the classic 'Alien' movie made by Ridley Scott in 1979 had a budget of 4.2 million USD, which in today's money is $14.7 million USD.
Considering how influential Alien was to become for sci-fi / horror movie making globally for decades afterwards, the difference between having creative movie making talent and using big budgets as a major attraction to draw in audiences becomes obvious.
In recent decades we have seen established numbers of producers and directors whose main business profile is negotiating ridiculous amounts of money to make what can be best described as standard B grade pulp movies where the CGI or big money stars are supposed to draw in big box office audiences, movies where actual original creative content gets left out.
Typical production line studio movie making nowadays is mostly about financing and getting tax breaks, once you include product placement and merchandising the film is paid for before it gets made, only the budget for promotion and marketing becomes an extra for the studios, without big screen releases this budget can be reduced too as Netflix knows.
Filming on location in different countries provides numerous economic advantages for film makers especially if these countries have built their own film studios too, with so much film making expertise available worldwide the production times for film making are being reduced and are more cost effective, something which Netflix is doing as well with divisions of its company being set up around the world subsidized by local government money.
An example of this is in Australia, which has helped finance numerous Marvel, Warner Bros and Disney blockbuster film projects in recent years, they all employ lots of people.
Whether a new era of original creative film making will return is debatable while multi-million dollar budget business deals are the norm, in my opinion the greed is good factor has been in Hollywood for some while now and that is a problem for film making as a creative art form, and Netflix, among others has followed that bandwagon.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Interesting comment that probably deserves more examination as most movie goers have become immune to any talk about movie budgets.
As an example the classic 'Alien' movie made by Ridley Scott in 1979 had a budget of 4.2 million USD, which in today's money is $14.7 million USD.
Considering how influential Alien was to become for sci-fi / horror movie making globally for decades afterwards, the difference between having creative movie making talent and using big budgets as a major attraction to draw in audiences becomes obvious.
In recent decades we have seen established numbers of producers and directors whose main business profile is negotiating ridiculous amounts of money to make what can be best described as standard B grade pulp movies where the CGI or big money stars are supposed to draw in big box office audiences, movies where actual original creative content gets left out.
Typical production line studio movie making nowadays is mostly about financing and getting tax breaks, once you include product placement and merchandising the film is paid for before it gets made, only the budget for promotion and marketing becomes an extra for the studios, without big screen releases this budget can be reduced too as Netflix knows.
Filming on location in different countries provides numerous economic advantages for film makers especially if these countries have built their own film studios too, with so much film making expertise available worldwide the production times for film making are being reduced and are more cost effective, something which Netflix is doing as well with divisions of its company being set up around the world subsidized by local government money.
An example of this is in Australia, which has helped finance numerous Marvel, Warner Bros and Disney blockbuster film projects in recent years, they all employ lots of people.
Whether a new era of original creative film making will return is debatable while multi-million dollar budget business deals are the norm, in my opinion the greed is good factor has been in Hollywood for some while now and that is a problem for film making as a creative art form, and Netflix, among others has followed that bandwagon.

Yep, which is why Netflix is developing their own production facilities in various locations. Absolutely correct that Netflix does not have the massive overheads of marketing and distribution, albeit they do need to advertise and they do need to fund the technology and infrastructure of the streaming platform.

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
It's OK.. 4/10 is about right. The named baddie is only in it for like 5 mins.

I wasn't expecting it to be this bad.... 😂

raymondo77

6/10 for me. Seen far worse.

Flynch191

Is not that its only a bad film... it’s that Netflix tells me it’s at number 1 for stuff to watch.. lots of disappointed ppl out there if it’s telling them the same thing. :D:laugh::rotfl:

psikey

Distinguished Member
Is not that its only a bad film... it’s that Netflix tells me it’s at number 1 for stuff to watch.. lots of disappointed ppl out there if it’s telling them the same thing. :D:laugh::rotfl:

I believe the most viewed gets in top 10. There are far, far worse film than this. Not a Cinema film but fine as made for TV type film IMO.

Flynch191

I can’t see a majority watching this and up voting it.
I’ve seen much better from the bbc on a much smaller budget. I know there are worse films but like the above posts.. no interest in the characters what so ever.
It could of been a better film but just lacked....lots of stuff ... it’s not often I ask the family shall I just turn this off...
It’s certainly not as good?? as say 6 underground and lots slated that.:)

Toasty

Distinguished Member
This felt like watching a computer game with a generic plot. You could literally see by each set up whether a fight was going to take place or it was a cut scene, all that was missing was loot on the floor to reload..

Jokerr

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I agree with the low rating. The Pilot showed little emotion during the initial drone missile killing 2 soldiers as collateral damage, but then onwards is very emotionally upset when seeing death or risk of death.
That was so baffling
"I chose you because you're not afraid to make a hard call that bends the rules... oh wait, you're a quivering mess."

Also -
disregarding a direct order leading to friendly casualties. Shall we court-martial him with a guaranteed stripping of rank and possibly dishonourable discharge?... Nah, give him a cool mission with an exciting robot guy.

It's usually pointless to nitpick the logic of a stupid action movie (though often fun) but the whole plot hangs on the fact that the US Army is basically cool with people breaking rank and ignoring chain of command. No wonder they're doing such a crappy job of winning the wa- sorry, peacekeeping.

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
Shockingly bad and dull as dishwater, and I agree with the spoiler in the last post from Tom, I was like :suicide:

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Sounds like outside the wire should be put inside a fenced area.

Ach0w

Standard Member
Anthony Mackie has another Netflix movie coming up called 'The Ogun' so his star quality is obviously a major highlight for them.
I will watch this film though perhaps I shouldn't have read this review, a trailer I saw didn't look too bad but obviously showed the alleged good bits.
Mackie has done 'IO' and 'Point Blank' on Netflix as well.

Go for it.

I watched it last night. Totally enjoyed myself.

Reviews say their own thing (for example they will praise the attractive woman with an incorrect Ukrainian accent as too good for the film), but netflix has viewer numbers, and I did not regret that my 150 minutes were spent validating this movie.

GT One

I believe the most viewed gets in top 10. There are far, far worse film than this. Not a Cinema film but fine as made for TV type film IMO.
Probably worth reminding ourselves that just a 2 minute look is considered a ratings view on Netflix.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

WarnerMedia and Discovery to merge under AT&T deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals