Outriders Review & Comments

MEGATAMA

Played game for couple hours,generic.
Delited.

Pulsar

IAMBatman

I’m really enjoying this game. I’m very bad at shooters so even the lowest difficulty is still a nice challenge for me (not too easy or hard). I do feel that the game will feel repetitive rather quickly. But it being free on Game Pass I will enjoy this for 20 hours and then move on to the next game. 8/10.

VGzilla

For a moment I was excited since I'm always looking for new co-op games. But by drop-in co-op you mean something other than couch co-op. We need many more great couch co-op games.

panny100

Getting flanked out of nowhere ruined it for me!

enjoyed spotting the different games it borrowed from though

Paulleahey

Absolutely loving this now after it's disaster launch server problems - up to level 20 character - good variety of characters and monsters - 9 out of 10 for me!

Paulro

Fully agree with MEGATAMA's comment. My feeling having played it for an hour or so was that it was the most generic game I'd played in a long time.

In the first scene, the protagonists are talking about how they had messed up Earth and needed a new home, then the camera pans to a shot of a hulking great armoured vehicle smashing into a tree on the new planet. I wonder if the writers are aware of the irony or not. The writing doesn't seem to be in any way tongue in cheek though. In the first 5 sentences or so of dialogue, the word 'damn' is used three times.

It couldn't be more stereotypically Gears of War if it tried. If that formula hadn't been rinsed out multiple times over the years, it might be excusable. Corridor, 3rd person, cover shooters are ok if the narrative is high quality (eg Last of Us), the environments are interesting, and the shooting mechanics are good. In no way, could the narrative of Outriders be described as high quality and I felt that the environments were quite nothing-y, during my limited time with it.

I'm irritated that this game influenced my decision to get Game Pass really. Oh well, at least there are some others to try.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
It is exhaustingly grim.

Not grim in an insightful way like Red Dead or Last of Us. Just grim for the sake of being grim.

And it just goes on

I think I'm going to put this one away for now.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Really enjoying this, it's like Bulletstorm, Anthem, Division and Gears had a looter shooter baby.

Some great levels later on and the difficulty really ramps up as you go up in the World Tiers and the loot is great along mods and skills for different weapons.

Storyline isn't the best but the mechanics and gameplay is great for me. I don't understand the generic comments to be honest but then I have put more than a few hours into it and started to use the skills and got some decent loot. I guess if you just played it for an hour or 2 then it could feel like a generic 3rd Person Shooter.

My suggestion would be to stick with it but then that's the great thing with Games Pass, sample a load of games and find ones for you.

Overall I am loving it and sunk loads of hours into and can't wait to play more.

gibbletts

I had preordered on ps5 but thankfully gamepass saved me the money so I played it on series x and have to say for me its garbage, I tried to like it but its dross and has been deleted never to return.

Greasychipbutty

I've put 60 hours+ into this and was on the verge of a great build allowing me to solo endgame expeditions. Unfortunately after yesterdays nerfs (in a pve game really?), i now find it hard to grind for builds if all they're gonna do is keep nerfing things. Think i'll leave for a while now and see how it looks after the nerf dust settles.

swanny78

Me and 2 other online buddies downloaded this to play all on Xbox. Having separately played thru the prologue and enjoying it, we have yet to successfully manage to connect to a an online game together. Kept failing as soon as we joined a game and kicked us back to title screen, It looks like a know issues with cross play, but we were all on XBOX consoles. frustrating , they need to fix this asap….

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Me and 2 other online buddies downloaded this to play all on Xbox. Having separately played thru the prologue and enjoying it, we have yet to successfully manage to connect to a an online game together. Kept failing as soon as we joined a game and kicked us back to title screen, It looks like a know issues with cross play, but we were all on XBOX consoles. frustrating , they need to fix this asap….

Have you turned crossplay off ?

echoUK

I had been playing this on the Series X and completed it over the weekend. Really liked the gameplay and the abilities, but found the story average. I’ve now had the inventory wipe bug so I can’t play the game at all now after putting in around 35-40 hours, unless I start with a new character. Read that they’re working on a fix for it, but after going back to Borderlands 3 with all the DLC I’m not sure if I’ll bother coming back to the game.

swanny78

Have you turned crossplay off ?
yes tried that, and even a workaround on using a join code but same issue. Gonna give it another go tonight.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom