Answered Outputting Sky Q to 4k TV and 1080p projector

icecoldcube09

Standard Member
Hi - hoping someone can help. I have tried searching the forum but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for.

I have just purchased a 4K tv (LG SJ810V), and I also have a EH-TW 6000W projector. I do not need to output to both at the same time, they are both set up in my living room so it's one or the other depending on what I'm watching.

Under my previous setup I used a cheap one input two output HDMI splitter to get pictures to both. However when I tried to use the same setup making use of Ultra HD content, Sky Q won't play ball, saying it could not detect a UHD TV. When I connect Sky Q directly to the tv, UHD works just fine.

I'd like to avoid manually swapping cables if possible, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Is it something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-Splitter-Pass-Through-Control-Functionality/dp/B00I8KILQ4

ChuckMountain

This one of the common problems with HDMI and mixed resolutions and HDCP. EDID is used to tell the source (Sky Q) what resolutions etc. the sink (display) supports. If you mix and match you end up with the lowest common denominator which in your case will be 1080p (probably)

Your TV will support most (if not all) 4k signals.

Your projector (PJ) only supports 1080p

Your splitter you don't specify what, might only work at 1080p

So you have currently have two limiting factors.

If you do get a 4K splitter it will still tell the Sky Q box that the PJ is only 1080p and HDCP 1.4 capable and so will give you the error message. You are then left with a 1080p signal.

If you could force the EDID you could get the 2160p signal to the TV, you would then need to go back and set the video output on Sky Q to 1080p in order for it to work on the PJ.

If you want no cable changes and no options menu changes then you can get a solution but its not cheap. This involves using a downscaler, have a look for more info

https://tmfsolutions.co.uk/product/hdfury-vertex/

The Neet link you have is quite an old product. I would be wary of anything guaranteeing it will work with future versions of HDMI, it won't ... There is no manual EDID control so you would still be stuck at 1080p.

icecoldcube09

Standard Member
Thanks very much for the informative reply. You're right the product you linked is a good deal more than I wanted to pay!

While I'm trying to avoid cable changes, I wouldn't be opposed to options menu changes, if there was a product with a manual EDID control? Google is not proving very useful in locating one.

ChuckMountain

Splitters don't seem to be very good on the old EDID control

One person found a two way switch. i.e. it would work as both a splitter and a switch depending on which way round you plugged it.

Just a quick Google brought this up. I have used CPC and they are find but I don't know if this would work

http://cpc.farnell.com/antiference/hdmi0102sv2/1-x-2-hdmi-splitter-4k-hdcp2-2/dp/AV27838?mckv=sTRweKKqL_dc|pcrid|224635168920|kword||match||plid||pid|AV27838|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ3ZBRBJEiwAtuvtlKzcHZiBvv4xexqsLCj7wMmUT4k8YI5JwcPzMw6uq_Rtg8xNtD8C4xoCbs4QAvD_BwE

The manual says you can set it to manual 4K @ 60 and also a Mix of ones.

It might work but it may well be a suck it and see approach. Don't know how it would work with Sky Q and HDCP but it's cheaper.

You would need to change output to work with PJ...

Abacus

Providing you have a 4K HDCP 2.2. (4:4:4) Splitter, then providing that you turn on the TV or Projector first, (Allow 30s if swapping between the two) the Sky box should automatically select the correct output for the connected device when the box is switched on. (It is vitally important that you do it that order to prevent the Sky Box from choosing the wrong resolution)

It’s a pain but that’s just how HDMI works.

NOTE: Don’t connect the splitter to the ARC HDMI input on the TV without turning ARC off first.

Bill

Abacus

It depends, some devices will still transmit their EDID in standby.

Does that work on yours?
It works on my friend’s equipment, (I am still just HD) also the equipment shouldn’t normally be sending out EDID information when in standby mode. (Apart from a dedicated scaler that allows you to prefix each output I have never come across any equipment that does this, but you obviously have, so it will be a matter of suck it and see)

Bill

ChuckMountain

There are mixed messages on Sky Q and making its mind up with mode to go in. If that works great but others reporting issues trying the same :(

Sky HD boxes that I have had in the past do tend to change their output depending on what they are connected especially RGB limited vs full. :)

drmsa

Thanks for this - a much more reasonable price. I'll get one and give it a go, cheers.
Hi icecoldcube....could you kindly keep this post updated as I have been looking for something similar at my home. Currently I am using my bedrooms Sky Q mini with my projector and the main Sky Q box with my UHD TV. Would love to buy the splitter recommended earlier if it all works.

Thanks

Embarker

Did you consider just getting the multiroom and "renting" a mini Q?

This way skyQ can be set to 4k and works just with the TV - the sky Q mini does the 1080p for the PJ.

I have a 1080p in my cinema room and a 4k tv in the lounge and this was the path of least resistance.... Also the mini is so easy to plug into a spare tv around the house for footy in the kitchen/garden

Last edited: