Outputting Region 1 DVDs as PAL

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Greg Ward, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Greg Ward

Greg Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, I can't find any threads about it.

I've got a Bravia X2000 1080P TV and now want to buy a 1080P upscaling DVD player.

I've 2 in mind, the OPPO 981 and the Yamaha S1700.

My question is this:

When playing region 1 DVDs is it better to

a) Output as NTSC or
    b) Let the player convert to PAL or
    c) Will it make no difference

Unfortunately, the Yamaha does not have an 'Auto' mode for TV type, unlike the OPPO which does. If it is better to output as 'NTSC', this will mean setting the player to 'NTSC' to play the DVD and remembering to reset to 'PAL' afterwards when using region 1 DVDs. A bit of a pain!

Bear in mind as I will be upscaling to 1080P, the 480 - 576 line upscaling when converting from 'NTSC' to 'PAL' will probably not apply.

2. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Usually, keeping it as NTSC, and letting a dual/multi-standard TV handle it, is best. This avoids potentially nasty standards conversion :eek: If done poorly, it csn make a big difference. It also depends whether it converts to PAL60 or PAL, the former just differs from NTSC @ 3.58MHz by having a PAL chrominance subcarrier at 4.43MHz.

3. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Oppo 971 judders when converting from one format to another, it's really best to stick to the videos native.