1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

outputting HD to HDtv from PC

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jedi-jae, Oct 19, 2005.

1. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello,

Can someone advise what is the best way to properly output HD videos from a PC to a flat panel?

I have a number of HD clips from the Apple movie site and although I can hook my PC up to my plasma and play them, I'm not really playing them at 720p am I?

So how do I run the video to the screen in such a way that the screen will display it correctly?

Ta!

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Depends on the inputs on your TV and its native resolution.......

Via VGA or DVI (or even component ATI accessory) a PC can output a HD signal. VGA seems the easiest method, but it does depend on your TV's capabilities, and the age/capability of your Video Card (some laptops limited to 1024 by 768).

I use DVI as my LCD as a DVI input, generally HDMI input will take a DVI input via an adapter, but usually with overscan. On my PC / TV combo I get overscan if the TV is set to DVI-Video, but no overscan if the TV is set to DVI-PC. The advantage is that with DVI-Video I can chose 720p50 as a PC resolution for PAL DVD's. I can set a custom HDTV resolution within ATI catalyst ultility.

I use VLC as my player, www.videolan.org freeware, and very good.

3. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So I hook up my PC to my screen then set the graphics card to display at a particular resolution? My default resolution is 1024x768. what I find is that to view my desktop on my plasma I need to set the screen to 4:3, if I maximise the HD movie via quicktime I have to zoom the image to fill the plasma screen.

How do I play the HD video via quicktime to fill the screen without having to zoom the image, which of course makes it look a bit naff.

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    You need to select a 16:9 square pixel resolution for your PC to know that it is connected to a 16:9 display OR you need to use a player that ignores the Windows resolution and will display 16:9 video full-screen (rather than letterboxed) even if Windows thinks the desktop is 4:3 (not 16:9).

I run my PC 1024x576 - which 16:9 "PAL" SD. You could try 1366x768 or 1280x720 as resolutions - though depending on your video card you may need to update your video drivers or use Powerstrip.

5. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was just about to ask this!!
    but my laptop has a VGA out and I have a HiDef ready telly that has DVI-in and a 15P-DSUB in (is there a difference..?)

what is the best way to plug my laptop to my telly in order for big screen gaming?

my gfx card is a geforce2go 440mx 32meg ram, not sure of max resolution sorry

thanks in advance

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - VGA is analogue RGB and carried on the 15pin D connector, DVI can carry digital video (not analogue) and also, sometimes, analogue video.

DVI-D = Digital only
    DVI-I = Analogue AND Digital
    DVI-A = Analogue only (rare)

7. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bah, didn't work, I updated my driver from Nvidia, but it doesn't have any 16:9 type outputs, even when I unticked the box so that all possible resolutions were listed rather than the ones my monitor can show.

there is an area where I can enter an custom resolution, but when I clicked this I got a warning about damage to my PC, so I stopped. I may drop Nvidia an e-mail.

8. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @stephen
    my telly has DVI-I and my laptop has VGA out. so i can connect a 15pin from my laptop to my tv right?

@jedi-jae,
    www.station-drivers.com claims to have some nvidia drivers that have output options

havent tried myself but will at weekend

9. smokechips

smokechips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

10. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Basically as other people have said, try and find out the native res of your panel - usually states in the specs in the manual - and you want to match that on your VGA/DVI output to the panel. 1366x768 usually needs to be either 1360x768 or 1368x768 due to the way gfx cards output resolutions.

11. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone

have found VGA to DVI adaptor for 2quid and cables for reasonable price too
    my panel's res is 1368x768

12. Mandarin Man

Mandarin Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will 1366x768 TVs accept 1366x768 progressive from your graphics card via DVI or just via VGA?

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Hello all

jedi-jae - a completely different 'option' is to install a SnaZio SZ1350 on the end of your network and let the SnaZio stream the HD clips and Output them at 720P or 1080i via its Analogue (YUV) Component Output or RGB on its Digital DVI Output.

Far simpler than messing about with your graphics card - be it a MAC or a PC; see http://www.snazio.com/ > Products > NET DVD Cinema HD.

Best regards

Joe

14. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    damn you Joe :)

I couldn't resist and have just ordered a 1350 to hook up to my 435xde, got about 150gig of 720p and 1080i downloaded so just need to reconnect my little used wireless hub and away I go :)

how long does delivery usually take on these from the snazio peeps, any ideas ?

any recoomendations on cables ?, still using all original stuff that came with the XDE, and I got some IXOS component stuff lying around as I plan to use component output from the Snazio as my Arcam DV79 uses the HDMI

15. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201

Hope you're not planning to stream HD stuff wirelessly..

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Hello Radioactive man

Not sure on the position with the 'SnazziShop' - things are moving quite quickly in the UK as far as setting up a more comprehensive Distribution and Dealer base! The Scottish end is now sorted :)

I'd start off with your 3RCA to 3RCA YUV cables - once you have everything up and running you can always try alternative YUV cables.

Best regards

Joe

17. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    ah Joe, if your suggesting you could have supplied yourself, I wouldn't have followed the link you posted :(, completely missed your sig

as regards streaming wirelessly, It would be easier but I can always use the rj45 if necessary, or are you suggesting neither would cope with the higher bitrate of a 1080i ?

18. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    cant recommend this unit highly enough, managed to get one lunchtime today from Joe and all is well with the exception of the ondisc DRM for Tomb Raider2, but I'm sure a little light reading will get me there.

finally getting the benefit of my 435 after a year of ownership and cant be happier at the moment

a few stutters streaming some 1080, but this was cured by getting exclusive access to my wireless network :)

19. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    managed to play some HD trailers to my telly from my laptop (vga) and wow!!

still not sure how to use internet explorer on my telly though! the desktop is like there's two desktops next to each other!