Standard Member
I would be very grateful if you could offer any advice on this
problem. I have 24/96 AIFF files on my mac which I am trying to play
via my dacmagic from itunes. The files are 24/96 as I have
checked the info in itunes for these files. They were converted by
"Max" from FLACs from Linn records. The connection is correct as I am
using the optical output from my mac. The files play fine but the
incoming sample rate indicator sticks resolutely at 44.1kHz on the
DAC. Presumably the mac has decided to down sample the file. It might be possible to change the output sample rate from 44kHz in the Audio Midi setup but this is not offered as an option. No box appears to offer sample rate and bit rate choices. I am at a loss as I really want to take advantage of the high sample rate of these files. I am hoping you have some knowledge of the interfacing of the dac magic with the macbook and can solve my problem.
Many thanks,
John

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Difficult question, my only thought is, while the files themselves may be 24/96k, what is the data contained in those files?

It seems impossible to get music at a rate higher than 16/44.1k unless you have access to the master recording files, and studios don't allow that access easily, and I suspect not cheaply.

Also, since there is no music in 24/96k outside the studio, no playback mechanism would expect to see it. Any playback is going to assume 16/44.1k at best.

Again, I don't know the answer to your problem, but I would look at the distinction between the file format, and the format of the data actually contained in the file. If the source of the data was a common CD, then there is no way it could be better than a standard CD (more or less).

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

santacruzjohn

Standard Member
Hi guys,
Thanks v v much. I had been in the midi settings but your link to the benchmark website set me right and at last I managed to change the output! So thanks again, it sounds way better than downsampling to 44.1 and then letting the DAC upsample back to 96kHz! Incidentally here is a question- should I leave it with the mac doing all the upsampling for my 44.1kHz 16 bit CD derived tracks or should I set the mac output to native 44.1kHz output and let the DACMAGIC do this- any thoughts? Blue Wizard- if you want 24/96 tracks go to Linn records or B&W sites, there are some free samples but you are right- the masters are about £18 for an album, not cheap.

Cheers,
John:thumbsup:

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
It seems impossible to get music at a rate higher than 16/44.1k unless you have access to the master recording files, and studios don't allow that access easily, and I suspect not cheaply.

There are a few places that provide good proper 24/96 material to download now. Mostly classical and jazz though some rock etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom