Question Output to right front channel quiet to speakers and headphones.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 5fire5, Apr 7, 2016.

1. 5fire5

5fire5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question is, would a single channel output stage problem cause attenuated output for headphones as well as the main speakers?

Here is some background. I have a Sony STR DE-597 that I am using to play only music through two channels with a powered sub. I have noticed recently that the right channel is playing very quietly and adjusting the balance only serves to attenuate the other (left) channel can't boost the right at all. Here is the crazy part, the problem also shows up when I connect a pair of headphones.

A google search reveals that this is a common problem with 12-16 year old sony receivers, but there is no real answer posted anywhere.

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    The same amplifier electronics feed the speakers and the headphone socket (via a limiting resistor usually). So yes a faulty pre-amp or power amp in the RH channel would give the results you quote.

It might just need a 'master reset' if some digital control / processing logic has got corrupted?

The answer (to get it repaired) may be easy or difficult depending on the availability of parts, service manuals/diagrams (google says they're readily available free on the 'net) and the experience of a repairer.